Nugget Shooter Forums

Some relics from a small camp

This stuff was found around some old wagon trails , prospectors, travelers going from one boom town to the nextand who knows I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on the thing that looks like a whistle it looks like it has atleast 4 parts to it,I will be going back to see if I can find the rest of it soon.post-235-061527000 1285809199_thumb.jpgpost-235-093431200 1285809219_thumb.jpg

If your'e talking about the large spoon in the second pic , I have found many of these and it seems they used them for melting lead and pouring in thier bullet molds..Thats what I think anyway.

Sklybones....a great site to hunt for sure...don't know what detector your using but it

might be a good move to grid a large area of that site and use different coils...back in

those days the military used keys like that for their strong boxes in which they carried

payrolls in...at night the officer in charge would go a short distance from the main camp

and bury the strong box...I personally know of two such camps where the strong box wasn't

recovered by the troopers but much later with a metal detector....both had gold coins!!!

In the first camp the officer in charge of the money transfer was sick and called a halt

until he could see a doctor...two days later he was seen by the undertaker!!!

Camp #2 was at the watering hole for cattle drives...Indians killed everybody and took the

cattle....much later also metal detectors found the few gold and silver coins....

Do the spoons have sharp points on them? Do they look like they have been in a fire? Can you

get some non-abrasive metal polish(Wenol or Flitz?) and clean them up and look for

markings....

Slave owners would hand a whistle to a slave that had to go attend to a "nature call" so he

could blow the whistle and they could keep track where he was instead of running off...

In the Civil War...WW1 and wagon trains they used whistles for signals...in the trenches a

whistle was the only way to communicate over long distances...wagon masters and guides used

whistles for the same reason...a quick way of warning of danger...

You may be beeping a military camp or wagon train camp....

Also keys like that were used for jails....slave leg irons...Wells Fargo strong boxes and

my detector room aka "junk room" by the wife!!!post-300-062299400 1285871400_thumb.jpg

Skylbones,

Nice finds... I have hunted the old spanish trail numerous times finding interesting items also. Oh , and of coarse it was on private property :*&$*(:

To answer some of your questions.I believe the instument is like a recorder{a clarinett} kinda. I tried to blow thru it and no whistle at all,,I have showed it to a friend that knows alot more than I do and he thinks it could be from the calvary that was sent out this way during the civil war at that time there was a few problems around Aurora A town just over the Nevada california line.. Half the town was north the other south,and had a few uprisings so to speak..If you look at a California and Nevada map look for Bodie then look south you will find Aurora.These pieces were found southeast of there..These pieces were found on a slope that was facing south like alot of the camps around here are mainly because of the high winds and in winter extreme cold.I'm going back out this weekend to look the camp over some more,As I said the camp is on a slope and in sand that blows over the hill which covers everything deeper in sand so I'm going to rake down the sand to see if I can get deeper towards the bottom of the camp and see what I can find....And at the time I was using a whites spectrum XLT and this next time using the Whites and my Minelab Xt18000,,Thats the best I got for now..And yes I was hoping the key was to a strong box too..But I think it was just for a heavy duty paddle lock,,,But until I clear the camp out still hoping for a strong box..Thaks all for looking and chiming in hopefully I'll be back with better finds.........Mike

To answer some of your questions.I believe the instument is like a recorder{a clarinett} kinda. I tried to blow thru it and no whistle at all,,I have showed it to a friend that knows alot more than I do and he thinks it could be from the calvary that was sent out this way during the civil war at that time there was a few problems around Aurora A town just over the Nevada california line.. Half the town was north the other south,and had a few uprisings so to speak..If you look at a California and Nevada map look for Bodie then look south you will find Aurora.These pieces were found southeast of there..These pieces were found on a slope that was facing south like alot of the camps around here are mainly because of the high winds and in winter extreme cold.I'm going back out this weekend to look the camp over some more,As I said the camp is on a slope and in sand that blows over the hill which covers everything deeper in sand so I'm going to rake down the sand to see if I can get deeper towards the bottom of the camp and see what I can find....And at the time I was using a whites spectrum XLT and this next time using the Whites and my Minelab Xt18000,,Thats the best I got for now..And yes I was hoping the key was to a strong box too..But I think it was just for a heavy duty paddle lock,,,But until I clear the camp out still hoping for a strong box..Thaks all for looking and chiming in hopefully I'll be back with better finds.........Mike

Back then they didn't have safe's ....they had "heavy duty pad locks" on "heavy duty strong boxes?....hint...hint