Nugget Shooter Forums

Will i miss nuggets with a large coil???

Hello All gold hunters.

I have read in some forums that large coils will not detect small nuggets, they have something (minimum and maximum) depending on coil size :shrug: !!!

My question is: what is a small nuggets in coil world?

Do i have to sweap 2-3 time with a smaller coil when a i grind the area, and how much smaller so i will not leave any nugget :grr01: ?

Please advice me, i can´t sleep well anymore :eee: when thinking about all gold out there.

Nubian with gold fever.

Large coils are indeed less sensitive to smaller nuggets and smaller coils more sensitive to same. Most use a couple different coils and or settings on a PI to clean a patch for just this reason. Much depends on soil depth and mineralization as well.

:thumbsupanim GOSPEL :thumbsupanim no matter vlf,pi,tr the smarter do much better with multiple coils. Tiny more sensitive and easier to move around boulders and trash but them bign's sure punch down a mite further to get them righteous bign's- :whoope: John

Hello All gold hunters.

I have read in some forums that large coils will not detect small nuggets, they have something (minimum and maximum) depending on coil size :shrug: !!!

My question is: what is a small nuggets in coil world?

Do i have to sweep 2-3 time with a smaller coil when a i grind the area, and how much smaller so i will not leave any nugget :grr01: ?

Please advice me, i can´t sleep well anymore :eee: when thinking about all gold out there.

Nubian with gold fever.

Nubian GS....all detectors and all coils and any combination of the two will have their limits....there is no such thing as the perfect do everything detector or coil...although in my opinion Minelab has come closer than any other brand....it's true the bigger coils will not see smaller nuggets less than 1 gram unless it's very shallow....the area your going to has nuggets that are 10oz or more so why worry about 1 gramers...

It seems to me you should make a list of priorities...first is get in Africa if your not already there....then buy a GPX4500 or GPX4800 or GPX5000...the 4500 comes with a 11" round DD coil...the 4800 come with the same coil....the 5000 comes with the 11"round mono and the 11"round DD...buy which of these machines are available and also buy a much larger coil if possible...18"round mono or larger...put your detector in "patch" mode and factory pre-set until your familiar with the machine and go find some large nuggets...if you find an area with large nuggets and you want to check the area for small nuggets then go to the 11" round mono or DD that comes with the detector...those 11" round coil are great for "small nuggets"..

When I find a new "patch" I always grid a large area at least two or three different directions...first go with the big coil then switch to a smaller coil...

Once you have your detector and coil and your in the Nubian gold fields most important is to learn your detector and it's settings...read your manual every day...when you find a target don't fall on your knees like a mad man and start digging...instead test the target with different settings...different heights...try fast and slow sweeps with the coil...if one of the settings gives a better signal then use that setting for that area in the future...this is how you learn your detector faster which will give you more gold...

Different people have different ideas as to what is a "small nugget"...to me anything less than one gram is small and the 11" round coils will get those...

Another thing you should do is buy a book called: Fist Full Of Gold...by Chris Ralph...Bill Southern the owner of this forum may have it in stock...if not go to this site...

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/chris_prospect.htm

This book will answer many of your questions...good luck...

Dude...you are in the land-of-big-nuggets...don't worry about the little stuff...go for the big ones! What detector and coils are you using?

Fred

Two big points. Go slow and overlap your swings a lot. If you think about you coil as having an icecream cone shape under it. You will realize that at depth you are pushing a quarter around under it. Sure yoou might find a big nuggetr going fast. but going a bit slower your more likely to find all the nuggets.

What detector and coils are you using?

I will tomorrow take the last decision, i´m trying to find out which one is best for me, i´m negotiating with a dealer, he gave a price of 4000usd on gpx4500(new). I´m thinking on if i put 2500 extra to buy gpx5000 how it will gain me extra, some advice please.

If i understand things right, 5000 will find smaller nuggets than 4500, but i´m interested and will work for bigger nuggets, so 4500 will do good for me, do you agree with me on this point???

About coils, 11" mono+dd that is delivered with the package, plus 18mono and 2(mono+dd) mother ship.

What do you think?

Nubian

Nubian...I can't answer your question about the difference between the 4500 and the 5000 but

I believe Bill Southern should be the one to set you straight on that matter as he's not

only a dealer but he has a lot of time using all of the machines your talking about....as

for the coils you mentioned you have a great selection that will be good for you...be sure

to get a "hip stick" or two for the bigger coils and you will be able to hunt much longer

each day....