Nugget Shooter Forums

Little worried about the GB2's depth

wjbell

I started to make up a poker chip with a picker glued to it like someone suggested and decided to drop it on the floor and test it. I ground balanced my machine to my floor and made sure there was no noise coming off the floor. Dropped the picker you see in my hand from the picture below and ran the GB2 over it. I had to get within an inch over that picker before there was even a faint change in signal. At 1 1/2 inches there was no indication of gold under the coil! Really? If this is an indication of the GB2's sensitivity I'm going to put this up for sale right now and look toward a PI. There must be something I'm doing wrong or something wrong with the machine. It's a controlled environment with a piece of gold under the coil at 1 1/2 inches and it doesn't see it. That's crazy... I could be wasting hours out and passing over gold that's less than 2" deep. Jesus christ...

picker.jpg

Before making my first "new technoligy" detector purchase I agonized over the very same thing . I wanted a GB2 or a Tesoro LST . I researched it to the Nth degree . Here's the bottom line . The GB2 will find small gold closer to the surface while the LST will find a larger (same size) piece deeper than the GB2. So you might want to think of your regular hunting areas and choose . The desert will suit the LST where working along streams you will find small pickers in bedrock that might escape the LST . Now , that's what I came up with . I'm sure we will hear from others .

I just can't believe that you can take a piece of gold big enough to pick up with your fingers and pass it under ANY metal detectors coil at 1 1/2" and it won't pick it up. That's just ridiculous to me.

Let me qualify your question with some questions.

1. Do you have dirt floors in your house ?

2. what size coil are you using.

You mentioned putting it on the floor. No nails,conduits, or any kind of sheathing under your floors?

Florescent lights in the house ?

They lets ask what size your coil is. Your photo ,unless you are a bear of a man with paws like a grizzly that is a tiny sub-brain nugget. You'll have to get pretty close to hear it. And you better be wearing a decent pair of headphones. But with practice you will be able to hear it. Definitely take the time to practice with it under different conditions and you'll eventually be able to find more when you go over one. But You will need to play with the settings to be able to find were your best setting is to hear it.

Being that small a smaller coil may even give you better depth. So that it stands out more.

While that is surely a picker.It was never really considered a nugget.

I'm curious how the new 5000 does on that kind of chip ? 2" maybe 3 ?

I guessing. Maybe a 5000 user can say for sure here.

Yes Jim G,

The 5000 will hear that little nugglet at a couple inches or so. Something that small will be heard by a GB or GB2 at about the same depth and your tests are right on wjbell.

A one gram nugget will be detectable to 4 to 5 inches or perhaps a bit better with a VLF in AZ soils while a GPX 5000 will hear a 1 gram nugget at 10 to 14 inches depending on nugget.

Since when do ya find gold in the air,nuttn but blue sky and bs with an airtest as it does NOT introduce the units GB capabilities which is why ya bought a dedicated unit in the first place. :stupidrb: The unit is only as good as the man behind it no matter pi,vlf or tr and with many modes of operation it's most evident you need more ,MUCH more, experience with the GB2-simply slow down,relax and put that speck in the ground a couple a inches and start over--Patience is a virtue that 99% of detectorists don't have hence the immense failure rate of nugget shooters lookn' to get rich. This forum ,and many others, have 1,000's a posts on nugget shooting and how many a ya are RICH from detecting???? :tisk-tisk: John

i am curious..if you don't know much about detectors or hunting gold...on what basis do you make this judgement?

You need to have the dealer show you how it works...oh, you bought a used detector...join a club or find a friend that does have a decent level of experience...and learn from him or her...

BTW; are you the guy that bought a Whites gmt; went out a time or two, then sold the detector to get a camera...and then there was something about bears...

doesn't matter...you need practice and patience and mostly preserverance to succeed.

fred

OK, thanks for the replies. Yeah, I need a lot more work behind any detector... and patience. It is a very small flake, but I thought it would hear it a little father.

Next time you come up to Foresthill to hunt the pit, let me know and I will try to help you as best I can (not this weekend). The best scenario unfortunately is having both a good VLF and PI detectors. Hoser is 100% right on... air tests are marginal at best. The GB II is a great detector.......

OK, thanks for the replies. Yeah, I need a lot more work behind any detector... and patience. It is a very small flake, but I thought it would hear it a little father.

I have hunted extensively with the GB2 and other VLF beepers and one of the tricks is to also rake an area of hot rocks and debris to gain a little more depth. Also did well raking down tailing piles to get goodies missed both coarse header piles and fine piles and the the modern age drywashers leave targets too.

Learn to find gold with the detector you have and chasing a new detector in favor of the one you have may not lead to more success as one would think. The biggest part of this hobby is research and second is patience with some dumb luck thrown in for that odd whopper. Remember if ya don't get your detector over gold it will not find it no matter what you hunt with :idea:

i am curious..if you don't know much about detectors or hunting gold...on what basis do you make this judgement?

If you're talking about me saying any detector should see gold at 2" in mid air, I guess I just expected it to.

BTW; are you the guy that bought a Whites gmt; went out a time or two, then sold the detector to get a camera...and then there was something about bears...

doesn't matter...you need practice and patience and mostly preserverance to succeed.

fred

No, I bought a GM3 last year but sold it with the idea that I would get something better this year. And didn't sell it to buy a camera, probably someone else.

I apologize if I sounded offensive. Reading up on all the detectors, making a choice, buying it and then finding out it doesn't sense gold like I thought it should, I guess that was a little frustrating.

Next time you come up to Foresthill to hunt the pit, let me know and I will try to help you as best I can (not this weekend). The best scenario unfortunately is having both a good VLF and PI detectors. Hoser is 100% right on... air tests are marginal at best. The GB II is a great detector.......

Thanks El Dorado, really appreciate it. I'll probably go up again this weekend and then see if you're available in a week or two.

If you can't hear that piece of gold at one inch you either didn't turn the detector on or your hearing aid is off. With a GB2 set at low mineralization and the sensitivity at '6', using headphones, that should be a loud signal. I would expect to get 2" to 3" in the ground with a piece like that. Also, that looks to be way more than sub-grain. When you get real good you should be able to detect a .10 grain piece with the 6" coil. Although it will be in the surface materiel. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. DO glue it to a chip. DO listen to the test nugget a lot while hunting. Compare its sound to the targets you get. DO dig everything to learn what different targets sound like. Just takes a lot of time.

Good Luck

Goldbug Ron