Nugget Shooter Forums

Headphones

wjbell

Right now I have some cheapie full ear muff style headphones. Something a friend gave me that he got from walmart. When I was out yesterday two things bugged me. It was too hot and you definitely don't want to be wearing black earmuffs when it's 100 degrees out. And also because I live in the valley and it's hot, I always wear a brimmed hat, but you can't wear a brimmed hat with headphones.

So I picked up a set of over the head earbud style headphones today. They are 32 ohms just like my full size ones. I tried them out and they sound just as good as my full size, and I can wear a hat comfortably. They have great volume and I can hear all the sounds just like on the other ones. I figured if I'm going to use cheap headphones I might as well be comfortable.

Any thoughts on these?

Headphones

WJ your on the right track...mine are ear phones that are form

fitted and are fantastic...but other folks also use the earbuds

and they work very well and are a lot cheaper than mine are...

no pinched ears....no sweat running down the side of your head...

so light you forget you have them on...and the sound you get is

right down the middle of your head....good stuff...

Thanks Garimpo! I know people buy $150+ headphones for detecting, and they probably have advantages. But it's good to hear that what I'm going with is not as bad as I thought coming from a veteran...

I use a few different kinds---Bose quiet conforts for my 4000---fisher-300 ohms-killer B's-150 ohms-sunray golds-150 ohms-superphones (ohms not sure of but their amplified) for my gold and coin vlf's--I have found that certain phones sound better on different beepers-but hey to each their own-if they work for you then thats all that matters :head: Mike C...:ph34r2:

I carry earbuds as a backup. 75% of the time I use dual speakers. When its real cold and windy, earbuds and a stocking cap. Another thing I use is a 3 foot headphone extension

cord and splitter (for listening in on others). this allows for a plug in the front of my backpack (no digging out the battery to unplug the phones) or a longer leash when I'm

using the aftermarket battery velcroed to the detector. But when the Washoe Zephyrs roar in nothing beats the Detector Pro Black Widows IMHO the best headphones on the

market.

Chris

I carry earbuds as a backup. 75% of the time I use dual speakers. When its real cold and windy, earbuds and a stocking cap. Another thing I use is a 3 foot headphone extension

cord and splitter (for listening in on others). this allows for a plug in the front of my backpack (no digging out the battery to unplug the phones) or a longer leash when I'm

using the aftermarket battery velcroed to the detector. But when the Washoe Zephyrs roar in nothing beats the Detector Pro Black Widows IMHO the best headphones on the

market.

Chris

Hey Chris the Bose I have knock out the wind pretty dang good and are less bulkier and a lot lighter than the BW's but also cost more than twice as much :tisk-tisk: Mike C...:ph34r2:

Thanks guys. I think in the fall and winter months I'll welcome the ear muff style. No hat needed and keep the ears warm :) But for summer earbuds might be the ticket.

My main thing I'm worried about is missing signals. Do 150 ohm headphones really have a benefit? I mean, I can hear everything real well with these earbud headphones. There's not much frequency variation. It's either at threshold or making some sort of noise. Any speaker is going to reproduce that noise, right?

I would go so far as to say if you are not hearing impaired what you are using is fine for now. I am :olddude: and find certain phones work better to my hearing (black widows).

As time goes on if you stay interested in what you are doing you will become more adept at it and therefore you will want to refine/define/upgrade/expand your experience which will move you into more complex accessories to increase your productivity. I guess what I'm saying is your'e gonna want MORE out of your equipment as your knowledge and experience progress.

I would go so far as to say if you are not hearing impaired what you are using is fine for now. I am :olddude: and find certain phones work better to my hearing (black widows).

As time goes on if you stay interested in what you are doing you will become more adept at it and therefore you will want to refine/define/upgrade/expand your experience which will move you into more complex accessories to increase your productivity. I guess what I'm saying is your'e gonna want MORE out of your equipment as your knowledge and experience progress.

Thanks Frank. I hear ya (pun intended) :yuk-yuk: But seriously, I know what you're saying. With anything you dial in your setup over time. But knowing that earbud headphones are not junk is a good start.

I too am using ear buds, after reading about using them with a 1/4 in adapter from a ML relic site. I velcro strapped them up the back strap on my 4500 harness and up over my shoulders, nothing to catch on and pull out of ear or battery. And I found it very handy to be able to use only one ear bud allowing me to hear other dessert sounds. Now I am new to this detector but found they sound the same as my over the ear type. For the ML explorer they recommended getting ear buds with volume control but I found it not needed for the 4500.

my two cents

claytargethntr