Nugget Shooter Forums

traveling with metal detector

Hello all,

I may have the chance to take my new metal detector to a friends old family place in Canada, on it is an old hard rock gold mine. It was a small operation and they crushed the rock on location. NEVER seen a metal detector.... I really hope this all comes together. Anyway How many have flown with their detectors. Can I take it as carry on? My airline buddy says no problem, but never know with TSA??? It is a gpx 4500. Thinking of putting it back in its original box and taking it that way. any who have experiance it would be helpful. Would really hate to get to the TSA security gate and get denied. Thanks

claytargethntr

Claytarget....take your original receipt to prove ownership....

go to the website of the airline your flying and check out their

rules for the battery....their really strict in that area....

I doubt that the GP4500 in it's original box would fit in the

overheads....break down your detector pieces and measure the

longest ones(shafts)and go to a store that sells hard case luggage

and buy one that your pieces will fit in...fill both halves with

styrofoam....lay the pieces on the foam so they will all fit and

make outlines of them and then with an exacto knife do the cut-

outs for the pieces...then you'll have a good carry case for your

detector and all the pieces...even the headphones...be sure to

get a case that locks....

If your lucky enough to find nuggets be sure to declare them on

the return trip into the USA...their legal and duty free....

good luck...

An update to my flight with my detector. I packed the battery, brain, and all cords in my carry on backpack wrapped and protected, packed the coil and the two piece shaft in a well protected checked bag, along with pin pointer,digger and some other personal stuff.. All survived. As for the carry on stuff and TSA. I just sent the backpack through the xray. They took a double take, then sent it on through. I figured if they ask me to remove and turn on I better have the cord, but this trip they did not. Is there any issue with turning on the detector with no coil attached?

Thanks for all of the help

Claytargethntr

An update to my flight with my detector. I packed the battery, brain, and all cords in my carry on backpack wrapped and protected, packed the coil and the two piece shaft in a well protected checked bag, along with pin pointer,digger and some other personal stuff.. All survived. As for the carry on stuff and TSA. I just sent the backpack through the xray. They took a double take, then sent it on through. I figured if they ask me to remove and turn on I better have the cord, but this trip they did not. Is there any issue with turning on the detector with no coil attached?

Thanks for all of the help

Claytargethntr

There is really no issue I know of with turning it on with no coil, but DO NOT remove or attach a coil while detector is turned on :arrowheadsmiley:

I have traveled extensively with metal detectors on long distance flites.The best thing you can do is go to Walmart purchase a Bow Case and fit your 4500 in, it will go nicely and you can put other things inside too. This case is virtually indestructable and the airlines if they can will destroy anything..I put padding on one side you can make cutouts to fit the 4500 box...Do not carry your battery for the unit with the detector..Pictured is the Bow case with two underwater units inside for a water hunting trip to Hawaii. Think the Bow case was 20.00 a real bargain..........Good Luck Geo

post-63-057271400 1285875091_thumb.jpg