Nugget Shooter Forums

Prospecting vehicle

SGTFDA

I had to do something about my handicap. I needed a off road vehicle for prospecting. I did not want to spend much and was looking for a beater. Found a 85 Toyota straight axle 4x4 short bed. It's rust free (something you don't see back east) and the engine was rebuilt 3k ago by a guy that knows what he is doing. I was shocked when I looked at the engine. It's so clean you can eat off it. Then again I just might do that. A mini tank, just what I was looking for. The inside needs cleaned up a little. So if your out and you see a bird sh*t yellow Toyota it's me.

SGTFDA,

Perfect choice for desert prospecting. I have had a 82, 83, 85, 87, and a 92 Toyota. All took a beating and kept on going back for more. My problem here in California was getting them to pass smog.

If you do not have good tires yet, 10"x31's fit perfect on them without hurting you MPG's.

Bob

Thanks Bob. The rear tires are new and the front need replaced. I'll check the size. To tell the truth I noticed that was what you were driving. Figured if you had one it would be a good choice.

Well Frank, I still have my 92, but with the nerves the way they are in my left leg, it's hard to work the clutch. I have a friend here in town that wants to buy my 92, actually, he wants to trade me his 97 Nissan 2 wheel drive truck plus some cash my way. His truck is a automatic and with the right tires, I'll be able to get to just about any place I want. I can only think of 2 places where I would not be able to go, and I really do not want to there without a smoother riding truck. The old back won't take the pounding anymore.

Bob

92 toyota is a great year. have one myself and cant tell you how many people left notes on it wanting to buy it from me. Its hard to find clean toyota trucks I guess. i have about 131000 miles on my 92 which is pretty good and its clean. I will never sell it though. i can get another 100000 miles out of the 22r motor for sure.

:thumbsupanim Great trucks but my 86 longbed SR5 has the 1 ton long trans,axles and rear with the righteous EFI(no turbos never in a 4 x 4)for that extra 16 hp for extra get up n' go. 04 Tacoma with the big 6 TRD,tow pak,overloads is a beast with all that electronics 5speed auto,overdrive,anti-lock,ESC and more than I'll ever need. Got just shy of 21 miles a gallon driving 75-90 to Wyoming and back on 395 and with at least 800 payload that rocked. MUCH better truck freeway flying than anything I ever owned(a lot) and pulling Dodge Cummins Diesels outta the sand was a riot,smaller trucks rule!!!John :thumbsupanim

I have an 05 Toyota and love the thing. Always had Ford or Chevy before that, but the darn things would overheat idling along in 4WD in the boonies. Toyota will not even get warmer than normal.... Seriously that was the main question I asked the dealers and was told most vehicles will overheat running AC at idle when it's 100+ outside. Toyota guy said, no problem and you can bring it back if it happens. Didn't get it in writing, but the truck has never given me any trouble in 120000+ miles.

I use summer sometimes to cruse new areas and mark the map for Fall. :cigar:

I have a 94 ford F150, two wheel drive, its great around here, auto trans with over drive. If I ever get the VA pension, I want to get a John Deer 6x6 with the pickup bed on it, I've been looking, every month at them, they will go any place you can think of. I drive right by the dealer evry month when we go to Merced. Nice off road detectong vehicle. Grubstake

Aloha Sarge,

Bird Sh*t Yellow eh!:thumbsupanim Well, now we wont have much trouble finding you out in the boonies. I know just how it feels with my Royal Blue Jeep. You can spot that thing from miles off. Great for them helicopter rescue guys!:inocent:

Of course, no off road vehicle is complete without getting a good AZ pinstripe job. Just got more done this weekend out in Franconia. :grr01:

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

:thumbsupanim Overheat :yuk-yuk: never ever any problems and at least 100,000 miles on 4 x 4 roads in 100-120 heat. BUT bummer is had to pervert(not convert) to the newer eco bs in the air and does NOT form icecycles on your testicles no mo' :hahaha: ya still cold but not like dayz a old-John

I already offered to spray the thing flat dark tan or OD Green... anything to quit hearing him bemoan bird poop yellow (I swear he mentioned that color no less than 8 times while telling me about the truck) :yuk-yuk:

Once I get to see it, I'll give a good once over and we can develop a list of items to upgrade. As an off road shop owner, I can't leave a 4x alone!

You do know... malfunction is the mother of modification ©

:stupidrb: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dark colors in a sun state is a matter of frying eggs on the hood a your righteous oldie but a goodie-go light and you'll be all right-John

It's all about the stealth in the desert :) I'm not good enough to spray digital desert camo on it :)

Talking about a prospecting vehical. myself am looking at dumping my honda civic and rv and find a durango or pickup.

Could use suggestions on what to get to pull a 3550-6000 lb trailer. and have 5 passengers in the vehical.

I have heard lots of this brand sucks or that brand sucks. I'd rather just have the well I got a this and I get this MPG towing or such.

Glenn you just can't stand the thought of being seen in a bird sh*t yellow truck. You see I'm use to being laughed at. Here is a photo of my old Ford. Yes that cap was made for that truck. No I did not spend $40000 like my fellow workers. One of my patrolman thought it was great and he was the only one that did. I gave him that truck when I moved to Az. In memory of me he drives it every day. I shed a little tear when I see the picture.

post-384-030976700 1285919828_thumb.jpg

SGTFDA

Yeah well this is what happens when your 18 year old prospecting partner uses your prospecting vehicle while you are in Afghanistan :tisk-tisk: :whaaaa: .....Boy it sure hurt to look at this one...Worse his mother got in to a wreck with it a week prior and it just came back from the dealer 2 days before he decided to drive it into her truck...Good thing I have insurance but had to pay a deductible on both our vehicles when it rains it pours...it is all better now and ready for me to come scratch it up again looking for Gold in December :brows: ...LOL

Very Respectfully

RANGERMG

Tim

post-21902-025938200 1285939382_thumb.jp

SGTFDA

Yeah well this is what happens when your 18 year old prospecting partner uses your prospecting vehicle while you are in Afghanistan :tisk-tisk: :whaaaa: .....Boy it sure hurt to look at this one...Worse his mother got in to a wreck with it a week prior and it just came back from the dealer 2 days before he decided to drive it into her truck...Good thing I have insurance but had to pay a deductible on both our vehicles when it rains it pours...it is all better now and ready for me to come scratch it up again looking for Gold in December :brows: ...LOL

Very Respectfully

RANGERMG

Tim

Bummer....Twice :tisk-tisk: Hey thanks for your service!

Frank... I'm all over the getting laughed at part! Who was the one stuck in sand for ~7 hours?

Trust me, I don't tell a lot of jokes, but plenty of folks are laughing their arses off in my presence!

Also, I've been meaning to ask... What bird poops yellow? I've been looking and most all of it is white, brown, black, but no yellow.