Nugget Shooter Forums

Got a new detector, Gold Bug 2

wjbell

A deal came up locally for a lightly used GB2 for $450. I thought it was a good deal. Aside from a couple of scuffs on the plastic it's pretty clean. It's got a super small coil, about 6"x4". Anyone know anything about this coil? Good for nuggets, good for fines? The guy that sold it to me said something about a 5" circular coil that's suppose to be great for this machine. Anyone have any info on that coil?

I would have really liked to save up for a used minelab PI machine but even a used SD2200 is going for $1500+. Out of my range right now.

So I'm going to start off the the GB2 and hopefully move up from there. I'll probably have a lot of questions to get the best performance out of this detector. I'd really like to add the best coil I can or any tweaks possible to make it better.

One thing, I tested it out when I got home. I have about 4 pennyweight of gold in a vial. (my take for 1 1/2 years. yeah, sad) Pulled the cap off the vial and put it on it's side. Passed the coil over it and it sees it. Raise the coil 6" above it and you barely hear a thing. 8" and you hear nothing.

So my questions are; if a cluster of gold is 8" deep the GB2 won't detect it? I thought this was THE sensitive machine for VLF's? Another part of that question is this was through the speaker. And I've heard people talking about 600 ohm headphones. Do better headphones really let you hear signals that you can't hear with generic headphones or the built in speaker? That would explain why I can't hear a 4 pennyweight of nuggets at 8" through the speaker.

My apologies. I've got a bunch of questions and will probably have a bunch more. I just can't wait to get out with this thing! I'm thinking tomorrow at a hydrolic pit close to me :D

goldbug1.jpg

goldbug2.jpg

Well I'll jump in here first and see if I can help. First thing to do is get a good pair of headphones. Everyone has their own preference. I used "The Rattler" headphones. They have just one ear cover. Here in the desert I wanted one ear free to hear rattle snakes. Second, I would get the small coil for it, it is very good at picking up very small gold. The deepest that I found a nugget was 10" and weighed .25pwt. The Gold Bug 2 is a very good starter detector and it will find you a lot of gold once you get use to its little signals and tones.

As for why it did not pick up you bottle of gold; well there are several reasons for that. Take the largest piece of gold you have and the smallest picker you have out from the bottle. Test the machine with the gold out of the bottle. Find a plastic lid that does not set the detector off and place the pieces, one at a time and test the depth. Work with the settings until you get the clearest sound for the nugget. After you have done that for a while, practice, practice, and practice some more.

Bob

Get yerself a set of 150 ohm black widow headphones and dont worry or waste your time with air tests, if you want glue a tiny piece of gold onto a plastic poker chip and use it either on top of the ground or burried to tune yer machine, get used to the sound and carry that chip EVERYTIME you go out in the field and tune to it to begin your days hunting. It won't take long if you follow that suggestion to get confidence and gain agility with the machine on targets.

That is a great detector and mine found me oodles of nuggets. The GB2 is a VLF detector and VLFs are very limited in depth in some very highly mineralized areas by iron and other minerals in the soil. Add to that the hot and cold rocks and you have a lot of noise to deal with. I used to tell folks they needed to be able to hear a target through most of that like picking the trumpet out in a band, near or far. Once you learn the detector you will be able to walk away from many of the noisy rocks in the area, but if it gives a good zip-zip you better have a good look.

So simply put the hotter the soil the more you will have to adjust the sensitivity down which in turns lessens the detectors ability to get the depth the PI detectors will achieve. Sounds to me like it is working well and on a large nugget with a stock coil even in hot ground 8 to 15 inches is likely and I snagged a few that deep with the stock 10 inch coil. I really did well raking old tailing piles in the old days with my trusty Gold Bug and still have one.

There are several here using them and more advise is sure to follow...

Thanks guys. One question that I forgot to ask, can I put the coil underwater? I pulled the coil cover off to get rid of some dirt in there and it's not like my coil on my old GM3 which had a coil with a hard plastic bottom, then a coil cover over that. This one has the black bottom (i guess the stuff to cover the wires in the coil) with a single coil cover over that.

The GB2 is supposed to be waterproof. You got a great deal.

Oh, and run that coil wire straight up from the coil at least a foot before making wraps. Secure it with electrician's tape or velcro and make the wraps tight. A loose coil wire will create excess noise.

Thanks guys. One question that I forgot to ask, can I put the coil underwater? I pulled the coil cover off to get rid of some dirt in there and it's not like my coil on my old GM3 which had a coil with a hard plastic bottom, then a coil cover over that. This one has the black bottom (i guess the stuff to cover the wires in the coil) with a single coil cover over that.

Personally I would not take a chance sticking the coil underwater but it's your money.

Steve

wjbell....here's where a lot of your questions can be answered

right from the horses mouth so to speak...

http://fishergoldbug.com/

Don, the links on that page are dead.

Wjbell,

The coil is waterproof, but since it is used just be sure to check it for any cracks or holes in the coil housing, wiring, etc., and seal any found before submersing it.

When using the GB2 or any other non-waterproof detector in water, be sure to not raise the coil higher than the control box, because the water can sometimes run up inside the shaft and get into the control box (this shouldn't be a problem with the GB2 because of the way the control box is mounted/detachable, but better safe than sorry), and after getting the coil wet store the detector with the control box higher than the coil until any water/moisture has had time to drain and or evaporate.

Here is a link to specs for the GB2 on a PDF file that states the coils are waterproof.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/specifications/GOLDBUG-2SPECweb.pdf

Also if you didn't get an owner's manual with the GB2 here is a link to a PDF file owner's manual you can save to your computer and print it out if necessary.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/GoldBug2-8707403-reader.pdf

Skip