Nugget Shooter Forums

Part of Lucerne Vally, or new find?

I usually just like to hunt birds and pick up neat looking rocks and I was out doing that last January during Chuckar season here near Ord Mtn. Ca.

I thought I had found a fossil tooth or fang and tossed it and some quartz into the back of my explorer and promptly forgot about them until a few weeks ago. I happened to catch "meteorite men" on tv and lo and behold, I remembered that tooth in truck that looked just like what some of the smaller meteorites did on their show.

I ran out right away and rummage thru the back and there it was. A little over 1 inch long, maybe 1/2 thick, by 1/4 wide. It looked right,a brown rustish color, was a little heavier than a normal rock that size from around here, and dang if it didn't simply cling to the magnet I passed over it that I took off the refridgerator.... I checked other websites and I really do think I have something here. The wife sure hopes so, she says its something we can do together on our one mutual day off..

I do have a question about where I found it though, Is it true that if the land is controled my BLM, we can't touch what we find ? I know there are some very old unused/unworked claims around that area, say 15-25 years at least and I really should try to find those owners, but how about BLM? I read a discussion at a differant website where they were were kinda sorta saying that.. Any kind of info to help me get started would be great like, any info on finds in the Socal desert or laws that MUST be obeyed.

Oh,

I always have filled my holes when just out finding rocks and have 2 cheap detectors for just playing around with nugget hunting near Mariposa Ca.

Thanks to whoever started this site, just from reading I have gotten useful info... I'll get a pic on here as soon as I can get my camera program to work...lol

Dannysbro

You may want to check the BLM website concerning the Ord Mnts. I think they were included in this last conservation bill that made the Mnts. part of a no enter zone. Its a protected area. I may be wrong about this, but I remember reading about the areas within the conservation zones.

Bob

Here's a second rock I found, not as a attracked to magnets that I have, but it does hold on til you turn it. Not as heavy as the first.. Found them both within I'd say 1/8th of a mile from each other on a hillside.

post-23798-095006600 1285051587_thumb.jp

post-23798-092201600 1285051699_thumb.jp

post-23798-071196400 1285051720_thumb.jp

You may want to check the BLM website concerning the Ord Mnts. I think they were included in this last conservation bill that made the Mnts. part of a no enter zone. Its a protected area. I may be wrong about this, but I remember reading about the areas within the conservation zones.

Bob

I know hunting is allowed, and there is an active mining operation the other side of the mountain, and it also part of the OHV area so people can go into the area, but I had thought I had read someplace on another website that meteorites found on BLM area's were off limits and they could not be taken. Of course I read this AFTER I found the 2 rocks.. I'll have to go to the office on Barstow road and have a chat with them..

Hi Dannysbro, Is difficult to tell from the pics. If you can find one, get a 20mm dia 10X folding pocket magnifer, say 6X and 4X , (or two 5X), and place one or the other in front of your camera lense to get a better close up pic. Good Hunting! Clifton

Here is a amazon link to a pocket magnifier, about right, but the lenses are probably too small of diameter despite the advertizement. They seem to be out of stock for the larger diameter lenses folding pocket magnifers 5X 5X 5X = 15x triple. I have one - works good.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnifier-Pocket-Lenses-Dia-Reed/dp/B003QUIO36/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1285122402&sr=1-12

Hi Dannysbro,

Can't really tell much from your pics because they're out of focus. Can you take some close ups in sunlight? (sun at your back, stone not in your shadow) It would make a world of difference in being able to identify your suspect stone. By the way, the Federal Gov't has not yet changed or amended the antiquities law, so it still only applies to man-made items. And since meteorites are not man-made, they are governed by the same rules for collecting any other rock, gem, or mineral. No they're not fossils either, and even they may be collected under the current laws. If any BLM underling tries to tell you different, ask him for a copy of the law, or to put it in writing and sign it. Watch him get very uncomfortable, lol.

Ben

Hmmmm.... I just happen to have one of them folding magnifiers. Never knew why I bought years ago....Just put it in front of the camera lens? Sounds too easy....hahaha..I'll try it in the morning before I go to work and try to get the pics posted post haste...