Nugget Shooter Forums
Terry Soloman

Les Bender Passes Away

Maryanne and Les Bender's brother, told me this morning that Les passed in his sleep Friday night. No arrangements have been made. For those of us that knew Les, and those twinkling blue eyes, shock has set in. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family. - Terry Soloman

That is indeed sad news... R.I.P Les, you will be missed.

Didn't get the chance to meet or know you, but I've read about you before.

R.I.P. and may the nuggets be large and the Au prices high!

I believe I met Les at the WMD office and purchased a membership through him...It is sad to hear, and to loose a felow prospector...Thanks for the info Terry

I am so sorry to hear that...Les and I were good acquaintances over the past 10 years or so...I offer my deep condolences to his family....In sorrow, Unc

Sad to lose another good man and fellow prospector. I enjoyed talking to him at the WMD when I stopped in to renew my membership. An infromative and interesting man. Jerry

I and my uncle only met him once, when we joined Weavers. But it was a pleasure. Sorry to hear when anyone passe's. Grubstake

Les was a great guy and did a super job of running the WMD.

My condolences go out to his family & friends.

I did not know the man but My Condolences to the family and I hope he finds the Right Hill Up Stairs!

Homefire.

Sorry to hear about Les he was a great guy...Geo

I spoke to someone tonight at the GPAP meeting who's decently close to the Benders. He says that Maryanne's statement about the operation is "it's business as usual... just without Les." :aw-shucks:

With that in mind, and knowing it's a non-profit and I know she's got funeral expenses (probably paid in gold, though :) )and a hard loss to take, I'm signing up with her tomorrow. Been meaning to for a while, just figured that now's the right time. :miner:

We are greatly diminished by the loss of any good miners and my deepest condolences to his survivors---John :(

Maryanne is holding a yard sale of Les's stuff today at the Weaver office, the town of Congress is having a city wide yard sale also.

All of his prospecting gear, books, specimens, Polished Thunder Egg Halfs from the Lucky Strike Mine near Prineville , Or, ( I lived and worked at this mine for 2 seasons) odd mineral samples etc.

Hope a lot of LDMA and Weaver members will stop and buy a momento of Les he helped a lot of people, and I trusted his advice in other things beside's gold. I have his personal Mortar and pedstal in my collection of mining artifacts now.

Max

post-22152-0-63523300-1295459602_thumb.j

Living next door to the Weaver Mining District office – and Les Bender, gave me the opportunity to hear some great stories and conversations between Les, and some of the old Rich Hill prospectors. Sometimes I would leave the office in wonderment, and sometimes I would still be laughing out loud hours later, thinking about something Les had quipped to MaryAnn in the office - or to someone at the poker game next door at the Arrowhead Bar. He taught me a lot about how to read the claims, who to trust and where to go. I look at this picture a lot. I took it just a few days after Les died, and thought at the time (as I still do) that it was Les’ spirit saying goodbye to us - and the people and land that he loved. I miss you Mr. Bender, and I think of you often. - Terry

post-22152-0-63523300-1295459602_thumb.j

Living next door to the Weaver Mining District office – and Les Bender, gave me the opportunity to hear some great stories and conversations between Les, and some of the old Rich Hill prospectors. Sometimes I would leave the office in wonderment, and sometimes I would still be laughing out loud hours later, thinking about something Les had quipped to MaryAnn in the office - or to someone at the poker game next door at the Arrowhead Bar. He taught me a lot about how to read the claims, who to trust and where to go. I look at this picture a lot. I took it just a few days after Les died, and thought at the time (as I still do) that it was Les’ spirit saying goodbye to us - and the people and land that he loved. I miss you Mr. Bender, and I think of you often. - Terry

Yes Terry, Less is missed by many of us that knew him. Every time I open the shades to watch the beautiful sunrise here in Congress I first get a feeling of sadness as I look out at his final resting spot.

The best story I remember him telling was about how as a child he had to walk several miles to catch a Grayhound bus to go to school.

Thanks for refreshing all of our memories of the BEST OF THE GOOD GUYS--- Less Bender!

It's time for me to open the shades now.

Jimbeax

aka no dig em Ed