Nugget Shooter Forums

Do Magnetometers Really Work?

Can anybody advise me on using a magnetometer to find large meteorites?

The reason I ask is I live in Roswell, New Mexico which is centered on the 7 Rivers Formation which in turn displays Triassic and Permian landscapes setting side by side.

This does not seem to be a great meteorite hunting area but I am guessing, given the exposed ancient soil, there may be some good finds within a few feet of the surface. Of course you need the technology to see sub-surface (5 to 10 feet).

Here is a magnetometer I have been looking at ====> http://www.kellycode...er_tone_buy.htm

So... am I thinking clearly here or should I just stick with my trusty GMT?

sundownr

Hi Sundownr,

I don't recommend using a magnetometer for finding large meteorites. I have experimented with two types, and found they leave a lot to be desired. They're really made to work on large, man-made ferrous items, not meteorites. You're better off using a pulse unit that is made for use with a 1,2, or 3 meter square coil. Lorenz, Notsi, and other brands are available. What did Steve Arnold use to find the largest Brenham meteorites, deep in the fields of Kansas? A pulse unit with a large, towed square coil! Plus, as a bonus, you can also use these units with a large round coil on a pole.

Best Regards, Ben

Ben

Thanks for the definitive advice... such is really hard to come by these days.

I have made a note to contact you if and when I find a good solution for sub-surface survey.

Have a great day.

sundownr

Ben

Thanks for the definitive advice... such is really hard to come by these days.

I have made a note to contact you if and when I find a good solution for sub-surface survey.

Have a great day.

sundownr

Ben

I found a basic PI detector kit to try out. Given I have the skill to assemble an electronic kit I thought I would give it a try.

I am really interested to see if I can find large meteorites in the Triassic/Permian layers..

sundownr

Ben

I found a basic PI detector kit to try out. Given I have the skill to assemble an electronic kit I thought I would give it a try.

I am really interested to see if I can find large meteorites in the Triassic/Permian layers..

sundownr

Hey Sundownr!

Since Roswell is smack in the middle of the most meteorite finds in the entire world outside of Antarctica I would keep on plugging with that GMT. The ground there is old and all over the permian basin they have been found.

Meteorites decompose quickly. The chances of finding one deep, or buried in an ancient formation is slim. Just my opinion.

Check out the blowouts in that area. From Jal to Portales there have been many hundreds of meteorites found. The area above Hobbs is HOT and lots of space rocks to be found.

Hey Sundownr!

Since Roswell is smack in the middle of the most meteorite finds in the entire world outside of Antarctica I would keep on plugging with that GMT. The ground there is old and all over the permian basin they have been found.

Meteorites decompose quickly. The chances of finding one deep, or buried in an ancient formation is slim. Just my opinion.

Check out the blowouts in that area. From Jal to Portales there have been many hundreds of meteorites found. The area above Hobbs is HOT and lots of space rocks to be found.

Bob

You may be right about decomposition especially over millions of years. The fact is I have never found any large meteorites. As for "blowouts" I use Google Maps and look for blowouts, or what I think are blowouts, and then go over the ground with a stick and magnet (you can wear out your arm using a metal detector around Roswell).

sundownr