Nugget Shooter Forums

A Fresh walk in the Hills

shep

Well, I finally got to take my 4500modded, out . Didn’t work worth a crap in my yard, well maybe a C+ from older ones. Took to well worked spot (but I’ve found gold there before). Spent abit of time ground balancing and tuning (tried auto tune said 249, ran down to 100 and slowly worked it around, to a happy face at 79), Left in manual tune and adjusted when it seemed to get a little weird. All day bounced from 79 up to 98, but I could always get it pretty smooth (running a 12 gain and 17” NF e mono). Which I’ve done before.

The detector worked great, in my opinion, for the day. It was very warm, for this ol fart. Just above where I have found a nice 8 dwt’r, I got a soft target signal. I dug and dug in hard packed rock and dirt. Signal got better then sounded like trash, but I’ve found a 3 oz’ers that sounded like that, so I continued down. At 2’ found a rusted up piece of 1”x6” strap! It was upright.

That hole whooped me!, on the way back down the hill, swung coil a little loosely, but got targets didn’t get in the past (same trail, been there and done that).

I don’t know where this Woody PooPoo (may mean something different in AU; they have a funny language) name came from. I checked out different people who did repairs and mods in AU. Ismaul (sp?) does’nt do newer mods. It would have been nice (and cheaper) if ML could have repaired it, but it didn’t happen.

Cannot say at this point, If the mods are better than a good running stock 4500 (been a long time since mine was right), BUT! I have a detector that I have confidence in again. Maybe in the next couple of months, I’ll get a chance to compare with a stocker 4500 and a 5000!

Post from southfork scared me a bit; I have absolutely no problems with my repair and mods- the saga will continue and I will let you know. Peter (detectormods.com), you’ve done well!

Shep

Relichunter2, question- who's one?

Yeah, got it back, and almost tickled pink! Headed for Pye Patch in 8 days, will be back for a couple of weeks, then going to Gold Basin. We'll get out again. Did you get a new one yet?

Shep

Well, I finally got to take my 4500modded, out . Didn’t work worth a crap in my yard, well maybe a C+ from older ones. Took to well worked spot (but I’ve found gold there before). Spent abit of time ground balancing and tuning (tried auto tune said 249, ran down to 100 and slowly worked it around, to a happy face at 79), Left in manual tune and adjusted when it seemed to get a little weird. All day bounced from 79 up to 98, but I could always get it pretty smooth (running a 12 gain and 17” NF e mono). Which I’ve done before.

The detector worked great, in my opinion, for the day. It was very warm, for this ol fart. Just above where I have found a nice 8 dwt’r, I got a soft target signal. I dug and dug in hard packed rock and dirt. Signal got better then sounded like trash, but I’ve found a 3 oz’ers that sounded like that, so I continued down. At 2’ found a rusted up piece of 1”x6” strap! It was upright.

That hole whooped me!, on the way back down the hill, swung coil a little loosely, but got targets didn’t get in the past (same trail, been there and done that).

I don’t know where this Woody PooPoo (may mean something different in AU; they have a funny language) name came from. I checked out different people who did repairs and mods in AU. Ismaul (sp?) does’nt do newer mods. It would have been nice (and cheaper) if ML could have repaired it, but it didn’t happen.

Cannot say at this point, If the mods are better than a good running stock 4500 (been a long time since mine was right), BUT! I have a detector that I have confidence in again. Maybe in the next couple of months, I’ll get a chance to compare with a stocker 4500 and a 5000!

Post from southfork scared me a bit; I have absolutely no problems with my repair and mods- the saga will continue and I will let you know. Peter (detectormods.com), you’ve done well!

Shep

Woody popo and peter at detectormods.com are one and the same the name had somthing to do with spam.

Shep,

I wish I was going to Rye Patch and Gold Basin, sounds like a great trip ! No I did not get a Minelab yet. I am a bit wary about buying one out of the classified section unless its from a reputable person. So I am still searching for a late model M/L that will do the job. Remember that target you had me go over with my name brand VLF at H. Valley ? The one my VLF did not even respond to, went over the target area and it was dead silent. Don't get me wrong , theirs a place for VLF's but I really need to get a P.I. that will not miss some of those deeper targets. By the way I am one and two :thumbsupanim . When you get back lets do a hunt.

Good Hunting !