Nugget Shooter Forums

Bonus finds while detecting

Be careful with that, unless you're on private land. The Antiquities Act will nail your hide to the ground (especially since you posted here that you're finding it in or about 2010). Hell, even the tin tobacco cans are supposed to stay where they are being over 50 years old and all that.

I think you're allowed to keep one arrowhead if no digging was involved, on certain types of land, but that might be a local law.

:stupidrb: stock answer to all ranger inquiries-ain't found nuttn'--don't know nuttn'-and adios. Trying to second guess some idjets proclavities will cost ya big time---discretion is the better part of valor and WHAT YA POST CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YA IN A COURT A LAW---John

Be careful with that, unless you're on private land. The Antiquities Act will nail your hide to the ground (especially since you posted here that you're finding it in or about 2010). Hell, even the tin tobacco cans are supposed to stay where they are being over 50 years old and all that. It must be private land its posted no trespassing.

Private, posted land? Have a good time!

Pottery sherds (yes, sherds, not shards as I see folks calling them all the time) should be reported from Private land just so they can keep their maps straight, but no need/reason/legality to do so.

I'm a Site Steward for AZ and have a few sites I oversee and monitor, so I've been "trained." Kind of like a mall cop - observe and report. I'm not allowed to carry or confront. I'm supposed to take pics and call it in, only.

However, one of my sites is one of THE most visited pictograph locations in AZ and it's hard to really notate any changes it without anyone else being there. One of the others, though, is so little known that I've gone three or four trips (2-3 months) and only seen my tire tracks and foot prints out there. What's odd with it is its proximity to Superior and Gold Canyon, I'd think it would get more traffic.

There is an active prayer cave out there, too. Every time I go there's a different hand made candle and other artifacts in there, sometimes the candle is still burning and there's a strong scent of whacky t'backy. It is a Native American prehistoric site which isn't on the res, so I guess it makes sense.

Glenn

Next time you come over I'll show you my tomahawk from the French and Indian War I found at a settler's fort back in Pennsylvania. The land of we don't have all that bull and if you find it it's yours.

post-384-020468100 1283828205_thumb.jpg

post-384-087920700 1283828231_thumb.jpg

And a Federal judge throws out the court case to return Geronimo's bones. ???????

Slim

True. But where I was from you could not get the Feds involved with anything except watching towel heads. The locals handled everything. Being the local in charge of bullcrap I ruled treasure hunting finds fair game. A new law starts out with good intensions but gets twisted in the end by pea brains. Seems there are more pea brains out this way. Must be the sun.

You nailed it Sarge. "A new law starts out with good intensions but gets twisted in the end by pea brains."

I'll also add that many of the new laws come about because of a lack of enforcement of existing laws.

OK Frank... I am just a California small town guy that does not smoke tobacco... I know what a towel head is, but WTF is a tobacco can looter?

To get back on subject. I found a couple of nice bonus pieces Tuesday. Hunting in an old hydraulic pit I found a single earring and right next to it a ring. Both were very old and would not surprise me if they were from the 1860's. We have been finding bottles in this area that date back to the original gold rush period.......... Finding items from the original miners is just as good as finding nuggets. Kind of makes a 160 year connection

To get back on subject. I found a couple of nice bonus pieces Tuesday. Hunting in an old hydraulic pit I found a single earring and right next to it a ring. Both were very old and would not surprise me if they were from the 1860's. We have been finding bottles in this area that date back to the original gold rush period.......... Finding items from the original miners is just as good as finding nuggets. Kind of makes a 160 year connection

That is pretty cool!!!

There is an area in Folsom that has produced some fantastic pieces of gold and looking for gold I have also found chinese coins, iron weights used for a scale to weigh gold (I presume ) as well as 1849 rail road key and old padlocks, also a deringer pistol frame. Of course they were all found on private land :yuk-yuk: which is the truth in reality.

One guy found a solid gold dragon on a thick chain which I guess a chinese guy must of made.It was about 5 inches wide. Another guy dug a piece of pipe out there one day . When he hit it with his pick it burst nuggets. It carried about 5 to 6 ounces of gold. Some old miner must of stashed it in the pipe and crimped the edges. Makes me sick because i have also found pipe like this out there and just chucked it!!! :whaaaa:

jerry

That is pretty cool!!!

There is an area in Folsom that has produced some fantastic pieces of gold and looking for gold I have also found chinese coins, iron weights used for a scale to weigh gold (I presume ) as well as 1849 rail road key and old padlocks, also a deringer pistol frame. Of course they were all found on private land :yuk-yuk: which is the truth in reality.

One guy found a solid gold dragon on a thick chain which I guess a chinese guy must of made.It was about 5 inches wide. Another guy dug a piece of pipe out there one day . When he hit it with his pick it burst nuggets. It carried about 5 to 6 ounces of gold. Some old miner must of stashed it in the pipe and crimped the edges. Makes me sick because i have also found pipe like this out there and just chucked it!!! :whaaaa:

jerry

Man you hit a good subject! I have found old rifle cases crimped shut that were filled with gold dust. I chucked a dozen casings before I found one that was JUST TOO HEAVY TO THROW. I unfolded the brass neck and it had 1/4 oz of dust inside! Now I check them all. I have found many crimped over and just filed with dirt, but I have hit three that have had gold inside.

I think a lot of old timers did this. Brass casings make a perfect poke and never break. I would have never opened one up unless it was so heavy.

I have found old rifle cases crimped shut that were filled with gold dust. I chucked a dozen casings before I found one that was JUST TOO HEAVY TO THROW. I unfolded the brass neck and it had 1/4 oz of dust inside! Now I check them all. I have found many crimped over and just filed with dirt, but I have hit three that have had gold inside.

Wow I never thought of that but thanks for the info Bob. I will definately keep that in mind.

• 3 months later...

These are great insights for the noobie prospector (me). Keep em comin! -sport

federal law applies on federal land...State law on state land, policy decisions on various other "public lands"...best to keep quiet...

Sarge, Ishmeal said to give you a shout...I assume that means I have to buy you a beer when next we meet...

Fred