Nugget Shooter Forums

New sluice prototype

I've been thinking of a new sluice idea for a while now and decided to make a prototype to try it out. It's basically a single riffle design with a collection chamber. The water flows through the upper and lower levels. You dump the material on the upper level and the idea is that the heavies will drop after the riffle. The gap after the riffle is adjustable right now for testing purposes. Once the heavies drop into the bottom chamber, which the water current is also running through, then it goes through another process that (in theory) prevents heavies (gold) from leaving the box. The water flow in the lower level also helps to stratify and remove the lighter material from the box leaving the heavy stuff there. I won't go into detail about the lower level in case it actually works. :thumbsupanim

The idea for this system is to obviously catch gold (heavy and fine), but also to have a sluice that you don't need to take apart to clean. All you should have to do is dip the exit end into a bucket of water, shake it around a bit, pull it out and it's clean.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow to Mineral bar and test it out at a place where I know there's flakes. I'll bring my video camera and have a safety pan to test and see if the sluice looses anything.

BTW, this isn't a sales pitch, I'm just a tinkerer at heart. :) But if it's a good idea, who knows...

Here's a few pics of the design:

Front of the sluice

sluice1.jpg

Back of the sluice

sluice2.jpg

Another shot of the back

sluice3.jpg

Top of the sluice

sluice4.jpg

It's called over/under classification and introduced by PESCO in 1983 along with the trijet baffled induction expansion chamber--now the industry standard--just look at keene 3 way-John

It's called over/under classification and introduced by PESCO in 1983 along with the trijet baffled induction expansion chamber--now the industry standard--just look at keene 3 way-John

Huh. I looked up over/under and keene 3 stage and they look different than mine. I'll have to do more looking... I thought I came up with an idea. Oh well, I'll find out if it works today anyway...

thinkin stinkin tinkers are good. I are one myself.

On the way to a better mouse trap we landed on the moon.

Well I took it out to try it today. About an hour into digging I get a call from the Mrs. and have to go pick her up from work. Yeah, no problem... I'm just 1000 feet down in a canyon an hour away. :angry-smiley-010[1]:

Anyway I did get to try it out a little and a couple things I noticed. You can shovel it on pretty fast and it clears out quick. (obviously) no buildup after the riffle and big stuff seems to jump the crevace so you don't need to classify as much. The bottom level clears out fast too. When I go to cleanup there's hardly anything in there. This can be good or very bad. But what's there is bigger pebbles so maybe with the weight of gold it will stay there too. Unfortunately, I won't know until I can get some gold through it to see if it holds in the bottom or washes out and make adjustments from there. Cleanup is nice though. A few seconds and it's as clean as a whistle and back in the water. If it catches gold this will be nice to use just for the cleanup time. And that would be nice for quick cleanups in between testing spots.

So I need to take it out again and I'll update the thread when I do.

Make your own nuggets...... get some split shot, maybe 20 a little work pounding them then mix'm with your shovel full of dirt one or two at a time. If you get back more than 18 of them, you have a winner!. Not need to wait to see if it will work for gold

Make your own nuggets...... get some split shot, maybe 20 a little work pounding them then mix'm with your shovel full of dirt one or two at a time. If you get back more than 18 of them, you have a winner!. Not need to wait to see if it will work for gold

Oh yeah, great idea! I'll make some nuggets and flakes and run them through next time.

Using lead shot works well on drywashers also. I have 15 of different sizes that I run thru the drywasher to test the moisture of the material I will be running. With the adjustable riffle trays, like those used in vibrostatic drywashers, this a big plus in align adjustment.

On the puffers you have to do a little more work, usually having to remove some dirt from the back or even the front. Running a bucket of material with the shot allows for better flow adjustment. Works good for me.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I use copper bits, flakes and dust. Copper has a specific gravity about one-half that of gold and it is shiny, easier to see. I use old wires of various gauges. The bits are made by snipping off small pieces. The flakes are hammered down versions of the bits. The dust comes from grinding the wire. These three forms of copper are kept in separate vials. They are handy for testing both sluices and drywashers under any of several conditions.