Nugget Shooter Forums

That's gorgeous and one of the best I've ever seen that came from the US. It reminds me of the emeralds from Muzo.

Some of you may recall seeing a story on TV about a commercial emerald mine in NC. This guy waited for years to buy this property and did so when it became available. This mine is in the same area where that gorgeous specimen was found.

http://www.northcarolinaemeralds.info/HiddeniteDistrict/NAEMMine/NAEM.htm

Steve

Here's another link on the recent find from that same site about NC emerald, apparently they are calling it the Adams Mine:

http://www.northcarolinaemeralds.info/HiddeniteDistrict/AdamsMine/Adams.htm

Here's another link on the recent find from that same site about NC emerald, apparently they are calling it the Adams Mine:

http://www.northcarolinaemeralds.info/HiddeniteDistrict/AdamsMine/Adams.htm

Hey Rex,

Got the original info I posted from your post that showed up on my Face Book page... :ph34r2:

Hey Rex,

Got the original info I posted from your post that showed up on my Face Book page... :ph34r2:

That's fine, I also repost informative info. folks share here and place it on my facebook page all the time. :spinnin:

The picture of the finished stone was disappointing... looks to have been cut by a beginner.

post-1252-014609700 1283526178_thumb.jpg

The picture of the finished stone was disappointing... looks to have been cut by a beginner.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it on another website, you would think that this emerald being as rare as it is for this part of the world that they would've had the best to cut it, probably one of the people at the gem shop on the property cut it!!!:unsure:

Skip

Well, the rule of thumb for faceting is that you retain about 1/3 of the original weight, emeralds tend to have lots of inclusions, so that may be accurate, 1/3 of 310 carats is 93 carats.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it on another website, you would think that this emerald being as rare as it is for this part of the world that they would've had the best to cut it, probably one of the people at the gem shop on the property cut it!!!:unsure:

Skip

I'd like to think they took a little time finding an expert for faceting that stone. Surely they wouldn't have hired an amateur,given the value of the rough. It's probably just a bad picture... :twocents:

Steve

• 3 months later...

Big Rex: Just noted this earlier post on the emerald Terry Ledford found, Terry operated a gem shop at Little Switzerland near Spruce Pine, NC and had one for a short time here in Marion, NC, talked to him a few times in the past. Mr. Red Reitzel who had found the large emerald I think in 1971 at this location which went to the Smithsonian is a friend. I took him trout fishing a couple or three years back. He frequents a local gold mining operation from time to time and loves to fish, his arthritis makes it difficult for him to do what he wants to, however a couple of years back he cut a smokey quartz stone for me.

Buckshot