Nugget Shooter Forums

Carrying Stuff

OldSalt

I'm always struggling with finding a better way to carry my tools. These days I usually use a vac. I have it attached to an metal frame so I can carry it on my back. My shovel, crevice tools, and digging knife, etc are on my tool belt. I carry a five gallon bucket with lid in a free hand.

I have a 4x4 truck, but is not fitted for extreme off road use. This means that I drive as far as I can, then get out an hike taking with me the tools I think I will need.

I take the vac off my back when I am going to use it and am selective about what I vacuum. Before moving on to a new spot, I dump the material into the bucket I am carrying and put the vac back on my back.

It's pretty difficult and I have to disconnect the hose every time I'm going to move to a new spot.

Upon returning to my truck, the bucket I am carrying is full and heavy. One day I will get a quad and I know that will help.

Anyone have any tips on carrying gear?

When you're on foot theres only so much you can do, you seem to have it pretty well covered.

The only thought that comes to mind is the 5 gal bucket loaded with dirt..... one suggestion is like the ol timers did get 2 smaller burlap or cloth coin sacks from the bank and rope em together an split em across your shoulder one in front one in back of you. this may be easier than carrying a 5 gal bucket loaded with dirt and it will free up one arm an hand.

While they're empty they can be stowed anywhere or folded up small an tied around yer waist with the rope you use to attach them together.

Also if the terrain will allow that yer working a 2 wheeled shopping cart with the large wheels can stow alot of gear and just ROLL along with you.

I'm goin thru a similar thought process now with my Jeep theres only so much room in a CJ5. I'm going to build a rack for the rear and I just bought a set of Morgan soft sided saddlebags at a yard sale that I cut in half and mounted to the headrest brackets so they hang over the backs of the seats, lots of storage room in them.

I'll be figuring out other storage for the remaining room in the back next.

post-562-022567700 1283200485_thumb.jpg

Old Salt I would go for a small quad that will fit in the back of

your PU...doesn't have to be a monster...a small well maintained

used machine with a rack up front and one in back....no trailer

just a couple of ramps and your good to go...

Old Salt I would go for a small quad that will fit in the back of

your PU...doesn't have to be a monster...a small well maintained

used machine with a rack up front and one in back....no trailer

just a couple of ramps and your good to go...

Do you know what models might fit in the back of a Ford Ranger?

Oldsalt...off hand no...I've been away from the main stream to

long...only seen two in 12 years that I've been here...probably

a few folks on this forum could answer that question...if not

go to a dealer and get the measurements that would fit in your

PU...

When you're on foot theres only so much you can do, you seem to have it pretty well covered.

The only thought that comes to mind is the 5 gal bucket loaded with dirt..... one suggestion is like the ol timers did get 2 smaller burlap or cloth coin sacks from the bank and rope em together an split em across your shoulder one in front one in back of you. this may be easier than carrying a 5 gal bucket loaded with dirt and it will free up one arm an hand.

While they're empty they can be stowed anywhere or folded up small an tied around yer waist with the rope you use to attach them together.

Also if the terrain will allow that yer working a 2 wheeled shopping cart with the large wheels can stow alot of gear and just ROLL along with you.

I'm goin thru a similar thought process now with my Jeep theres only so much room in a CJ5. I'm going to build a rack for the rear and I just bought a set of Morgan soft sided saddlebags at a yard sale that I cut in half and mounted to the headrest brackets so they hang over the backs of the seats, lots of storage room in them.

I'll be figuring out other storage for the remaining room in the back next.

I tried using a 4 wheeled pull wagon that I purchased at Lowe's. I secured everything in the wagon with bungee cords. It seemed like a good idea, but the wagon bounced badly and was always wanting to flip over on it's side. Even with two people, one pulling and the other stabilizing is difficult. I'm thinking that perhaps something like a travios but with one big wheel might work fairly well. I guess the only way I will know is if I make one and try it out.

Anyone ever try using a two wheeled hand-truck; modified with larger wheels for ground clearance?

Oldsalt...think about how many of the Oriental countries do it...

I don't remember the name of it but it's the yoke thing that goes

across their shoulders with buckets or cords to carry things

hanging off the two ends...then get a couple of undocumented

workers to do the hauling....

Oldsalt...think about how many of the Oriental countries do it...

I don't remember the name of it but it's the yoke thing that goes

across their shoulders with buckets or cords to carry things

hanging off the two ends...then get a couple of undocumented

workers to do the hauling....

:yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk:

I bought a hard tired game cart for hauling elk and deer. Put a piece of quarter inch plywood and some rope and bungees. It was cheap on ebay and it will haul the vac and drywasher. Still need two guys if you are going overland in the Bradshaws through washes and mountains but works pretty good. I use a hunting packframe if it is too rough.

I have a mid size ATV. Suzuki Eiger 400 that will fit in the back of my Tacoma... should be about the same size as your truck if not a bit smaller.......

:thumbsupanim