Nugget Shooter Forums

whites tdi

i lately got this used whites tdi metal detector/ with its standard dd coil.

on some pay dirt i placed a half gramme nugget and no matter how i tweaked settings i couldent get a loud beep/ the batteries are new.and i ground balanced it and it was on auto trac.

the analizer on the screen gave a reading alright around 55%, but that was sketchy at best only reading once in several sweeps.

If the coil passes over a brass bullet casing/ piece of wire or tin can it sceams.

Imostly only use for checking my tailing piles after drywashing. but if it cant pick up on a half gramme gold nugget i dont think it would beep passing over a gold nugget in a tailing pile.

am i wasting my time with it/ am i expecting too much out of this machine if it cant find gold sitting on the ground hows it to find it in the ground. iguess a minelab would be the answer. i might bring it to a club meeting and see if someone familiar with metal detectors might figure out whats going on with it. the man i bought it from sent it back to whites the circuit board had become loose in it and they completely re built the machine so it should be good. i dint wear the head phones but idont think i should need them just checking tailing pilesvideos od australian decectorists dont seem to have to wear head phones the detector screams when passing over nuggets.

Interesting, considering the TDI doesn't have autotrack, nor does it have a "screen", so I guess that detector you are using is a little too complicated to be a TDI.

BTW, the TDI doesn't come with a DD coil. In fact, Whites does not make a DD coil for the TDI.

What does come with a standard DD, has a screen and autotrack ground tracking is a later model of ML. Are you sure that isn't what you have?

Reg

i lately got this used whites tdi metal detector/ with its standard dd coil.

on some pay dirt i placed a half gramme nugget and no matter how i tweaked settings i couldent get a loud beep/ the batteries are new.and i ground balanced it and it was on auto trac.

the analizer on the screen gave a reading alright around 55%, but that was sketchy at best only reading once in several sweeps.

If the coil passes over a brass bullet casing/ piece of wire or tin can it sceams.

Imostly only use for checking my tailing piles after drywashing. but if it cant pick up on a half gramme gold nugget i dont think it would beep passing over a gold nugget in a tailing pile.

am i wasting my time with it/ am i expecting too much out of this machine if it cant find gold sitting on the ground hows it to find it in the ground. iguess a minelab would be the answer. i might bring it to a club meeting and see if someone familiar with metal detectors might figure out whats going on with it. the man i bought it from sent it back to whites the circuit board had become loose in it and they completely re built the machine so it should be good. i dint wear the head phones but idont think i should need them just checking tailing pilesvideos od australian decectorists dont seem to have to wear head phones the detector screams when passing over nuggets.

[/quote

If it is indeed a Whites, then it sounds like you have a GMT. And if so, it will scream on a half gram nugget from half a foot away, at least. So, if everything is set right, it sounds like there is something wrong with the machine. Unless you meant to say a half GRAIN nugget?

Digger Bob

HiHo, Silver...

First read your manual; no, first read the label on your detector then read your manual...As Reg implied you donot have a Whites TDI...if you bought that from a dealer that said it is a TDI take it back...a used TDI would be @1000 to 1300 bucks...

If you can post some clear pictures someone on this forum will identify it for you...BUYER BEWARE, BUYER EDUCATE YOURSELF...don't be suckered...

fred

BOB , By the way Happy Birthday to ya, an many more.

Thanks Frank. He might also have an MXT, same type of readout on the meter. But it doesn't come with a DD coil.

No telling, but it's for sure not a TDI.

Digger

I apologise the detector isint a tdi

the metal detector is a whites GMT goldmaster e series

on it is the whites goldmaster twin d coil.

The so called gramme nugget was closer to a third of a gramme nugget /a little bigger than 2 grains of rice side by side.

Tomorrow im going to try it out with the gramme nugget i have and see if i can get it to beep a little better, i have head phones and i hope i wouldent need them checking dry washing stone piles along with fine gravel.

i have no chaps yet and i have only tried for about an hour nugget shooting by i will have to try more and learn, when i get chaps i will use the headphones. i got within 6 inches of a six plus foot western diamond back a few weeks ago and after that encounter i treading very carefully.

If i dont do any better with the gramme nugget i will bring the detector to the next club meeting there are plenty of seasoned prospectors who use metal detectors.

i have seen other prospectors using the same model detector so i assume it must be a decent detector.

i have been using it for locating dry wasing areas when the black sand meter gives a high reading and there is no thrash present.

im still learning, a few buckets of old concentrates i had ran through the desert fox i decided to wet down and slowly run the fines through the sluice. i got a nice bit of fine gold about as much as i would get in a days drywashing half gramme. i wonder how much gold i have dumped sinced i started drywashing. with the sluice i dont have the same concentration of black sand and the desert fox was better able to handle the fines from the sluice. the large amounts of black sand from the drywashertends to spill the fine gold out of desert fox/ im finding i have to run the fines 3 times to get all the gold out of black sand. sorry for wandering off subject but i was amazed with how much gold i got from dirt i was about to return to the desert.

thanks everyone for going to the trouble of replying to the post.

new problem i have is that i want to go dry washing this weekend in AZ but there are some vicious storms there tonight ,maybe by saturday night things will have dried up.

Unless you have the GMT WAY out of balance you should be getting a signal.

Other possibility is there is a problem with the detector or coil assembly.

I have been using a GMT for 3 years now and honestly I have detected gold so small with it that it was a P.I.T.A. to separate the target from the dirt in my scoop.

Get some experienced help and figure out what needs to be done you have a capable machine for most detecting situations.

Give Whites a call and talk to a Technician, explaining what your GMT is doing and how you have it set, there could be a problem with your GMT, they have a great service dept. even after the warranty has expired!!!

http://whiteselectronics.com/info/service.html

Service Center

White's Electronics

1011 Pleasant Valley Rd

Sweet Home, OR 97386

(541) 367-6121

(541) 367-6629 FAX

service@whiteselectronics.com

Skip

One thing you might want to consider is getting the little 4x6 elliptical shooter coil, great for the small gold and getting and around tight areas.. There are some nuggets that aren't detectable almost like a sponge, very poras. This was demonstrated this at one of the outings. Interesting to take a ounce of fine flour gold in a vial and it isn't detectable but 1 sub grain piece is. cheers

Allen in MT

There are some nuggets that aren't detectable almost like a sponge, very poras

This is very true.

There is a great nugget shooter in the Auburn Goldhounds named Bowers who in Mariposa ( I believe) hit a half ounce flat piece of gold about the size of a half dollar with his old GM2 that his ML 3500 would not hit at all, even on top of the ground. Why I couldn`t tell you but thats what he said and he usually always uses his Mine Lab.

he told the club this story and I have no reason to not believe him.

Jerry

This is very true.

There is a great nugget shooter in the Auburn Goldhounds named Bowers who in Mariposa ( I believe) hit a half ounce flat piece of gold about the size of a half dollar with his old GM2 that his ML 3500 would not hit at all, even on top of the ground. Why I couldn`t tell you but thats what he said and he usually always uses his Mine Lab.

he told the club this story and I have no reason to not believe him.

Jerry

That is indeed true and the early Minelab PI detectors had difficulty hearing very porous gold for the same reasons it would not hear a 4 inch piece of braided copper wire. John B. had one porous nugget around 1/4 ounce that my 3000 would not hear even rubbing it on the coil, I have also seen a few small ones that did the same, but fortunately there are very few nuggets in gold placers like this and things have changed with detector technology as well.

A VLF detector will scream on these very same nuggets, but work much differently from a PI in how targets are "seen" for this reason they are also more limited in depth by very high soil mineralization.

These issues were addressed as Minelab became aware of it and the newer units after the GPX 4000 and 4500 are much better at hearing this type nugget and better yet with the 5000. It has to due with pulse speed or timings if you will and how it is adjusted and the new GPX detectors have settings that allow the user to adjust for different ground/target conditions.

The predecessor to the TDI (Goldscan 5) that I was testing for a while a few years back was also adjustable (pulse speed) to better hear these nuggets, but became unstable and hard to use for me in these settings. I am sure this was also looked at as Whites began production of the TDI which came from developing the Goldscan 5 to what you see now.

It is the nature of pulse induction to try to ignore these type targets as ground noise due to them not being "solid" and confusing the detector (someone correct me if I am wrong) But there has been allot of changes in the new Minelab PI units that make these nuggets much less invisible.

Jerry (Jerico),

Mike is an exceptional gold hunter. I have not been to any meetings for the last couple years, but when Mike speaks, I always listen. He has found some spectacular gold nuggets. Too bad I missed the story about the undetectable nugget, I would like to try and detect it with my 4500 or 5000.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry (Jerico),

Mike is an exceptional gold hunter. I have not been to any meetings for the last couple years, but when Mike speaks, I always listen. He has found some spectacular gold nuggets. Too bad I missed the story about the undetectable nugget, I would like to try and detect it with my 4500 or 5000.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks everyone for the replies. its most lightly the operator that is at fault here,im going to spend a little more time with the detector and when the weather cools i will start using the head phones. im going to concentrate around the area in which i found the gramme nugget which was my first and biggest nuget i have found yet i got it drywashing

a member of the forum here put on a slide show of gold nuggets he has found over the years all i can say is wow. thats some collection of gold.

Just getting used to the GMT in autotune when you first get the detector is what most people do.

Start using the MANUAL setting mode and tweeking the ground balance setting manually you will see a world of difference in its responses.

A little time spent with it will make you a more confident user.