Nugget Shooter Forums

My august trip..in photos

Jim Gilmore

While I leave in 2 days I figured I'd post a few photos from my trip here to ca.

I never got to use the rv so I was limited to just 2 forays into the desert to look for the yellow metal.

I did cover the bottom of a 2 dwt vial in those 2 trips and have not even gone through all my concentrate.

post-23469-056729800 1282691606_thumb.jp

post-23469-098835300 1282691645_thumb.jp

post-23469-030790300 1282691692_thumb.jp

post-23469-001090800 1282691728_thumb.jp

WOW Jim judging from that photo you're into some super fine gold dust in that spot, Have you gone UPHILL a distance from that spot and sampled ??? Maybe larger pieces.

Did you get that fine stuff with the drywasher ?? If yes was it from the riff tray or the bellows compartment ???

WOW Jim judging from that photo you're into some super fine gold dust in that spot, Have you gone UPHILL a distance from that spot and sampled ??? Maybe larger pieces.

Did you get that fine stuff with the drywasher ?? If yes was it from the riff tray or the bellows compartment ???

this is all from the riffel box. majority is <30 to >100 give or take. But does make nice color. I would make a sluice but water is such a pain to carry and water gets muddy fast.

I did very well in the gully the other day. too bad I could not spend a whole week there...Where I dug in that 1 photo I was only taking the top 6-8 inched off and everythying below was a fsalse bedrock of calcrete. Wanter to work right into the edge of the gully and try diggin in new spots that were untouched to see what was there.

First off there are 160 acres on this claim. And the area has lots of fine gold. Many have tried and said they could not find gold. But I think it is actully better than many think because they loose the fine gold expecting it to be more chuncks.

There is also loads of schelite mixed in. Not sure what to do with it at all.

If and when my mom passes on I expect to be able to spend more time concentrating gold. Hoping to just be able to find several dollars a day to put away for a rainy day.

As for moving up hill there is a limit how far uphill I can go because there are other claims in that direction.

Jim,

For all the trouble you have had just trying to get out and prospect, that vial should help ease a little of the stress. Any day that you can find gold is a good day in my book. If you had more time and the weather was cooler, I'd suggest that you dig into the calachi a bit and see what it holds.

Bob

Jim,

For all the trouble you have had just trying to get out and prospect, that vial should help ease a little of the stress. Any day that you can find gold is a good day in my book. If you had more time and the weather was cooler, I'd suggest that you dig into the calachi a bit and see what it holds.

Bob

since I only had a short time I figured I do the easy dig.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting photos.I work club claims that have 160 acres too.

that ground ur working looks nice ground. Where i work the washes have been worked over several times in the last 100 years and a lot of the wash looks like it was run through a cement mixer/ mostly gravel and pea sized stones .lately i read an article that a giant dry tromell was used to get the concentrates and the tromell provided enough concentrated material to keep 15 dry washers going.

couple of weeks ago i got my first gramme nugget, but after digging more that area kinda fizzled out. across the wash i dug into the bank and i got ultra fine gold/ that looks ok in a wet pan but when its cleaned up and dry it amounts to very little. this weekend i will dig back closer to where i got the gramme nugget and maybe i get lucky.

i was working away at night and didnt hear any thing or see lights/ you might have been working the second wash over the road. last 2 weekend i havent been out/ i had some kind of summer flu and this weekend i had teeth pulled on friday evening and didnt feel like doing much after that.

there was another man who used to work at night and he was about 200 yards further down the wash and if he found decent pickers he would come up and show me and if i found any vice versa and chattin about finding big nuggets lol.

during the cooler weather over the weekends youd meet all sorts of people from all walks of life, either out camping or doing a little prospecting which is great as i have always found people to be friendly and interested in the gold. not to mention the pet jack rabbit that keeps me company during the dawn hours. i guess thats whats draws me out there and i have always loved the outdoors and finding a little colour is always good.