Nugget Shooter Forums
Hangtown

Gold machine

Hey Hangtown

Good going!!

Looks like it's in excellent shape, definitely a keeper.

Thanks for the post and picture and good luck finding it's

brother.

Have a Good One

Herb

Darn nice find!

Hard to beat that Hangtown...WTG...how about the story to go

along with the pic....

Nice looking $5 gold piece worth approx. $800 by looking at the condition if it has no mint mark, a little to a lot more if it's a "O" mint mark and even more if it's a "D" mint mark!! :thumbsupanim

Does it have a mint mark, the mark if any would be below the eagle and above the "FIVE D." on the back of the coin?

Skip

Nice looking $5 gold piece worth approx. $800 by looking at the condition if it has no mint mark, a little to a lot more if it's a "O" mint mark and even more if it's a "D" mint mark!! :thumbsupanim

Does it have a mint mark?

Skip

There's no mint mark the edges and back side are just as clean right off the press.

Hard to beat that Hangtown...WTG...how about the story to go

along with the pic....

I found this on the s fork of the American River below our home. Down about 6"-8" inches in granite bed rock crack that ran parallel to river full of fine silt and clay.

As one "old" coin hunter to another..."you lucky dog you"...

There's no mint mark the edges and back side are just as clean right off the press.

I think it would be worth your while to have this coin graded by preferably PCGS (most respected/recognized coin grading service), or NGC, it could be worth a lot more than $800 even without a mint mark if the condition is as good as you say, having it graded would increase the value over a non-graded coin regardless of the condition, more so than the cost of having it graded. :twocents:

Skip

WOW! I'm not much of a coin hunter but I always wanted to find a US gold coin. You are very lucky indeed! Thanks for sharing.

some of the old timers when they hit a very good amount of gold in a crevice used to leave a coin in the crevice. The date on the coin was most likely the year it was left.

El D, why did they do this? Luck? Superstition? - Terry

some of the old timers when they hit a very good amount of gold in a crevice used to leave a coin in the crevice. The date on the coin was most likely the year it was left.

El D, why did they do this? Luck? Superstition? - Terry

The coin is dated 1845 ?...Its kinda funny that we have found a few small pieces lately, But the area from the river and any of the tributary drainages are so filled with junk (seems there was alot of ground sluicing) that you can go for days and weeks with nothing but nails and bullets and get a little discouraged and then find somthing like that..... like it had been lost there yesterday.....I just keep swinging and digging and every once in a while somthing pops up that takes my breath away....Just have to hope its not a rattle snake in this country.....thanx to you guys for all the input

If it was 1845 then it must have been a lost coin. I have seen three coins come out of crevices in the S. Fork of the Yuba. One 1852 California Half Dollar found by yours truly. When I asked a gold dealer in Nevada City about it he was the one that told me about dated coins in cracks and crevices. The story was also confirmed by an old time dredger I later met on the river. Just my golden twocents[1].gif

Too, bad theres no mint mark, if it had either a D or an O it would be worth around 12-15 thousand. But it still may be worth as much as 3 thousand.Go to a well know dealer, most will try to low ball you. My friend found a 1851 $5 dollar private mint gold coin, took it to a dealler he said yeh, I'll give $5000.00 for right now, we he took it an auction house in San Franciso, the coin sold at auction for $48000.00, It was a Shults and company private mint, it had a mint flaw in it and was one of only 12 know to exist. and his was the best. The coin resold about two years ago for over $100,000.00 But is still know as the OWENS Coin. Jim Owens being the oridginal finder. Grubstake

Google the OWENS COIN and you will see the story. Grubstake

Awesome find and thanks for sharing it. Congrats.

Cheers,

Matt

G'Day Everyone

Nice find....Well done

I have found only 1 gold coin a 1869 gold quarter small denomination....13 stars 1/4 dollar and makers stamp G

Cheers Johnno

Well I've been lucky enough to have found two, one was a 1811 French twenty Frac Coin, about the size of a gold $5.00 coin, and the other was a 1 oz Panda Chinees coin. Grubstake

Well I've been lucky enough to have found two, one was a 1811 French twenty Frac Coin, about the size of a gold $5.00 coin, and the other was a 1 oz Panda Chinees coin. Grubstake

G'Day Grubby

Now that's cool. Do you still have them? The trinket I found was a solid gold medallion, looks like it came off a necklace. It has a map of Mexico on one side and the Aztec calendar on the other. I'll try and get some photos.

I also have 1887 S (Sydney)and 1914-M (Melbourne) gold sovereign in near mint condition. Don't know what they're worth, but I'll be putting them up for sale soon. Times are tough, every penny counts :hmmmmm:

Cheers

Johnno

No, Johnno, I sold them long ago, back in the 90's. I found them at Bagby on the Merced river, the same day I found the 1811 french 20 Frac's I also found three 1/2 dollars, an 1871, 1872 and an 1874. All were in an old tobaco can. I got a very good price for them all. Grubstake

Link; http://www.treasurenet.com/found/owens

Picture Of Jim Owens and Tex Garmany an Me Up at Redding a few years ago. Grubstake

Wrong Picture. Grubstake its this one.

Grubstake,

Thanks for the link to that story. What a great find. Just reading that

story gets my blood boiling! I love to hunt for treasure and it is sure

nice to read about fantastic finds like that. They are still out there!

Cheers,

Matt

Yeh, keep the blood pumping for sure, just once, I'd like to make a big score all at once like that, Heck, I haven't even found a one ozer yet, my biggest is 17 DWT for one nugget, but I have found an oz and three quarters in one day, it was just in five different nuggets. Grubstake