Nugget Shooter Forums
Bunk

Hermit Pick

If you have used a Hermit Pick, could you post your likes and dislikes about this pick. Thanks,

Bunk

post-1609-128110896815_thumb.jpg

If you have used a Hermit Pick, could you post your likes and dislikes about this pick. Thanks,

Bunk

Bunk,

I don't know anything about the Hermit Pick. I have an Apex Talon and I find the darn thing heavy. I get tire after several swings in a hole. Of course being 64 has a bearing, but that's my :twocents: on the subject. Like Bunk, I would too would like likes and dislikes on the Apex pick. Bunk, I didn't mean to steal your thunder, just thought I'd add to the equation.

h20prospector

PS: The dry washer continues to get good use. Thanks.

Bunk, I've used both the small version and currently still do, and the long version for the tougher jobs. I like the durability, and knowing that it will get the job done. The smaller version is a great addition to any trip, not to mention as an awesome weapon in case your attacked by a Sasquatch... A good ol U.S.A product made by one of the forum members. It works for me. Jason ;)

Jason & H20, I have also used one the last four years and like it for the same reasons as you. I have tried a few others and they are just to heavy for me. At under 3# it is a breeze to carry around all day and it will really dig a hole fast! Well now Joe's been way too busy for pick production and has graciously allowed me to "pick" it up, so I am building the Hermit Pick now.

Jason & H20, I have also used one the last four years and like it for the same reasons as you. I have tried a few others and they are just to heavy for me. At under 3# it is a breeze to carry around all day and it will really dig a hole fast! Well now Joe's been way too busy for pick production and has graciously allowed me to "pick" it up, so I am building the Hermit Pick now.

================================================================================================================================================================

And doing a fine job of it too. I just acquired one and it seems a perfect weight to carry all day. I'm ready for my 1st target to dig up. The business end of this Hermit Pick is twice the width of my homemade one I have been using the past 2 years so I know it will be much easier to pull a target out of any hole with it.

I just got one a month ago. Love the head style, but need a longer handle than the 21" it came with.

I started using the Hermit pick from day one. I have 3 models. One is custom made for working in calachi bottom bedrock. The standard and long handled ones are perfect for drywashing. I have beat all 3 to death in calachi and they are still kicking A@@.

Bob

I've had a hermit for several years. For having to pack for a long day and move material; it'd be hard to beat. I had a problem with mine and it split. In the winter here- had no problem. Mine split in summer hardened red clay and rocks. Bob is using his in Calishe(sp?) and had no problems, guess I was abusing mine. There was no problem w/ warranty w/ Joe, I just repaired it on my own. I have several picks for different applications and the hermit is usually only a short ways away.

Shep

Hi Guys,

I bought my Hermit from Bill when he was selling them. He had two versions. Mine is the smaller of the two. The head is 11" long, and 8" at the wide end, and the handle is 22" long. I don't have anything but good to say about it. It's strong, well made, and digs up anything I swing it at, in the hardest ground.

Ben

:thumbsupanim Luv my estwing :thumbsupanim John

I have had a hermit pick for 3 years or so and if I go out on my quad it goes with me.

Same goes for in the truck, it has saved my butt a time or 2 from getting stuck.

That thing sure digs good. I would not be without one.

I've had a hermit for several years. For having to pack for a long day and move material; it'd be hard to beat. I had a problem with mine and it split. In the winter here- had no problem. Mine split in summer hardened red clay and rocks. Bob is using his in Calishe(sp?) and had no problems, guess I was abusing mine. There was no problem w/ warranty w/ Joe, I just repaired it on my own. I have several picks for different applications and the hermit is usually only a short ways away.

Shep

Shep,

I do not think abuse is the right word here. Mine have not broke using it calachi because I can not put my whole back into a full swing. :ROFL::ROFL: You have the advantage here, so I would suggest that you only put half of the mighty power you have into each swing. :ROFL::ROFL:

Bob :miner::olddude:

G'Day Everyone

You can't beat the Hermit Pick. I picked up my first the Gold Basin outing. I asked Bill Southern if he'd brought some along with him and he said no. But he offered me up his pick at a good price. And I thought "Wow, Bill's pick. It's a gold magnet" But I didn't pay for that. He got rid of the gold mojo before he gave it to me. The only problem I had with it, is from what I observed, was that the wood had dried out forcing the rivet to become loose. But that was not a problem, I drilled out the rivet and inserted a heavy duty bolt and have not looked back since. Awesome piece of equipment!

So to sum it up, if you want my views on the pick, do away with the rivet. At least put something in there that can be adjustable due to shrinkage. Just my $1.50AU. :twocents:

Cheers

Johnno

Shep

Hey Shep, Bring that pick with you to RP and I will put a new handle on it for you.

Bunk

I like the one I have just fine. Used it for a night stick a few times before I retired. It has many uses. Just don't sit on the point.

Hey Bunk, there was no problem w/ the handle; I split the blade end.

Shep

Hey Bunk, there was no problem w/ the handle; I split the blade end.

Shep

I would still like to fix it for you, it gets me away from the computer!

Bunk

Bunk

I gave my hermit pick a good work out today and it is great. I like the points on the shovel end. Great for working out those targets. I left my hand trowel home as the hermit is all you need. Well except for the plastic hand scoup I had to borrow from Glenn. It is the perfect design for desert hunting!

Hey that is cool Calvin and glad to hear they will be available again. Got dealer pricing? PM me...