Nugget Shooter Forums

Searching land records

wjbell

Someone gave me a link a while ago to a pdf of a blm land record and I cant find the page where you search for a new place to get one of these maps. Does anyone know where to start a new seach to get this type of map?

My link

Your in Sac, why not just go to the BLM office on Cottage Way?

I was hoping to look stuff up online because I'm always looking for new areas. It's a lot easier than making the trip to the office every time. Someone looked up that map for me last year.

I tried going to the blm website but the geo thing doesn't produce maps like my link above. Anyone know how to get those maps?

I think I linked you that map actually :) but unfortunately that's a map for the brochure to that particular rec area. You won't be able to find anything online that will have custom maps with trails and land management status. Your best bet is to visit the BLM office or forest service field station in the area you're interested in.

I think I linked you that map actually :) but unfortunately that's a map for the brochure to that particular rec area. You won't be able to find anything online that will have custom maps with trails and land management status. Your best bet is to visit the BLM office or forest service field station in the area you're interested in.

Ahh, Ok, I gotcha. Just giving me brochure maps... not even real ones. I see... :rasberry:

Seriously though, too bad those weren't maps you could pull up for all areas. I'll just have to go to the field office to check stuff out. The place I was curious about this time was the Cosumnes river where it crosses 49 about 10 mi south of Placerville. If it was private property, claimed or what.

Here in NM we have a State Library that has all topos and BLM "Surface Management Responsibility" maps. You can just go in and copy them with a big digital color plotter. I take my own high quality water resistant paper and make myself excellent field maps from these. Better than the originals!

When I asked the staff at the library about copyright violations I was told "We are the State and we can do whatever we want". So I can get any of these maps in New Mexico for scott free. I bet that you can too if you find a repository with a complete reference section.

I have a HUGE BLM land ownership map of the whole state on my wall, and a 12" magnifying lens that I can see detail with. If I need a specific land ownership map to carry in the truck I get it from BLM.

The National Geographic maps and program are very good, but I have found that the land ownership representations are not all that accurate. In many areas it conflicts with the BLM maps. I like the maps and the program and use it all the time but I would make sure to check land status against a BLM map before striking out.

Just my two cents.

Then you want the map of El Dorado NF 804 is Tahoe NF. I know the area you are looking at. Much is claimed and there is private property surrounding the area that makes claim access difficult. That part of the river is pretty rich in fine gold and a few pickers. Maybe that dredging in CA is screwed up, some of the claims may have been dropped. BLM office is still best bet to find the most current info.

government publications and maps are copyright free and can be legally duplicated anyplace since they are public domain info.

Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll probably get a few places of interest and go down to the blm office and check them out.

On a side note I went to Edwards crossing twice so far. Mostly did some dry crevasseing with the addition of my new tool ;)

My link

Made some pvc crevasse attachments for it. Works great for pulling material out of tight spaces and cracks. Found some nice sized flakes and a small picker.

Interesting use of that tool... much quieter than a powered vac..... That part of the river never seems to run out of gold. Just one mile up from there I learned to pan for gold in 1971.

I watched vids of dry vacs made out of a two stoke blower and a 5 gal bucket. Pretty cool but nosier than hell. This thing will last all day on one battery and pull up anything that will fit through 1/2 inch pvc.

The place I was working was about 3/4 mi upstream. All's I know is I had to climb over about 5 house size rock outcroppings on the north bank of the river to get there... Full pack and both hands full... but we love doing it. I felt it that night and the next day! :thumbsupanim

Take Steve's advice and go upstream from edwards at least a mile. I've seen some righteous nugget pendants that have come out of that area of the river. You should invest in a snorkel and mask if you really want to find some nice gold. Just look for shallow or exposed bedrock and clean out those underwater cracks.

Some gold I found from the South Yuba.

gleeson007.jpg

I saw one in use on bedrock but he said the HEPA filters were over $25 a shot ,plus shipping and handling, and they didn't last very long either,so he was hitting bedrock only,just a caveat-John

Take Steve's advice and go upstream from edwards at least a mile. I've seen some righteous nugget pendants that have come out of that area of the river. You should invest in a snorkel and mask if you really want to find some nice gold. Just look for shallow or exposed bedrock and clean out those underwater cracks.

Some gold I found from the South Yuba.

gleeson007.jpg

Some nice lookin gold!

I've got a wetsuit, snorkel and mask. Next time I go up there I'll just bring that and try that out.

I saw one in use on bedrock but he said the HEPA filters were over $25 a shot ,plus shipping and handling, and they didn't last very long either,so he was hitting bedrock only,just a caveat-John

You can blow out or wet wash the filter. The material it's made out of is pretty durable. Seems like it would last years to me. I've rinsed mine a half dozen times already and it's like new :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Someone gave me a link a while ago to a pdf of a blm land record and I cant find the page where you search for a new place to get one of these maps. Does anyone know where to start a new seach to get this type of map?

My link try this I use it all the time. htt://www.geocommunicator.gov/ links to minning claims on BLM lands

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this helps but try this site GovSpot find your county and then contact the county tax assessor or clerk and recorder and they can probably help you find who owns what. Geocommunicator would also be my first choice but I've yet to master it.