Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab Safari detector

zadok

Is the Minelab Safari better for gold nuggets than single frequency vlf's, like the MXT or the X-Terra 70?

Does it handle hot ground better than single frequency dewitectors? As well as a PI?

Will the Safari find small gold? HOw small? It WILL find gold nuggets.

Did they speed up the sweep speed enough from the Quatro?

Will the Safari go deeper than other Vlf's? As deep as a PI, with same size coils?

HOw does the Safari compare to White's Spectra V3, another multi-frequency detector?

That's a coin/relic shooter, apparently it is fairly sensitive, deep searching and has a double D coil, but I don't think it is sensitive enough for basic gold detecting. I'm speaking of the safari which is supposed to be a replacement for the quattro. The X-terra 70 has a coil geared to detecting gold, but the replacement for that, the 705 is supposed to be more sensitive. The X-terra 70 & 705 can do some gold detecting when coupled with the highest frequency coil. The big thing with gold detectors is sensitivity, which is insufficient in pretty much all coin detectors.

I think the issue is proper MD for the target and search area. You don't use a .375H&H to hunt a coyote. So think target and location (soil mineralization). The highly senstive VLFs (to me) are best for true virgin ground prospecting. DD coils on high senstivity VLFs are best in mineralized soils. Once the VLF propsecting is over and you've found the new nugget patch boundaries. Bring in the big gun PI (.357H&H) detectors to seek the elephants.

Coin/relic MDs are designed for previously human disturbed sites and targets that are human manufactured. That is a totally different target than a native natural Au or Pt nugget.

My two cents... Fritz :cigar:

Digger Bob hit a dime at 20" with a white's tdi and at 18'' with a garret infinium pi. Has he tried the white's spectra v3 or the minelab

safari for gold prospecting?

Since the safari runs up to 100Khz, couldn't you put on a small DD coil and get small gold? If the new goldbugpro handles hot ground with a small 5''DD coil, can't other VLF's do the same thing?

In lost treasure magazine, Andy Sabisch found the safari handled "wet salt-laden sand with ease." It found targets to 8" deep.

The only question seems to be whether it can find small enough gold?

The answer is NO! I've had minelab Soverines, and Excalaburs, they will hit on gold nugget if they are say a DWT. or bigger, but not too much depth, Now you take a gold ring or gold coin, yep they will hit deep. The problem is they were not made for nugget hunting, they were made for coins and relics. I took my Soverine out to the desert, and the basalt drove it nuts. The auto grond balance is not set up like a gold detector, its more general. Big gold yes, small gold no. Get a gold detector if your going for the gold. Grubstake

Is the Minelab Safari better for gold nuggets than single frequency vlf's, like the MXT or the X-Terra 70?

Does it handle hot ground better than single frequency dewitectors? As well as a PI?

Will the Safari find small gold? HOw small? It WILL find gold nuggets.

Did they speed up the sweep speed enough from the Quatro?

Will the Safari go deeper than other Vlf's? As deep as a PI, with same size coils?

HOw does the Safari compare to White's Spectra V3, another multi-frequency detector?

Out of the 5 beepers you have mentioned I've had 3 which were the V3--mxt--X70---the other 2 mentioned I had the upgraded versions of--Quatro I had the EX-EX2 and the SE---Safari I had the Etrac---so what I'm getting at is that I have a very good idea what the above beepers can do and struggle at--the only 2 that have a chance finding smaller gold would be the Mxt and the X70 out of those 2 I liked the X70 better as an all around machine but they strggle as well in hot ground but fair better than the others---as mentioned already the other beepers are damned good coin beepers but struggle big time with minerals asociated with gold---they simply can;t cope with the minerals as well as a true gold only beeper---The Quatro-EX-EX2-SE--Safari-Etrac line kick butt in parks-school yards and really excell at the beaches but are better silver-copper beepers than gold beepers--The V3 is more sensitive to gold items than the the Fbs series but still lacks the ability to cope with the mineralization in gold fields-if your serious about finding gold the minelab PI;s are the King--Gotta ask yourself what kind of beepin you want to do and select the appropiate tool for the task--IMO there is no perfect do all beeper---Hope this helps---Mike C...ph34r2.gif

Thanks for all the replies. So even though the Safari runs up to 100 Khz, higher than a goldbug II, it's not sensitive enough for small gold below one gram! Would a small DD coil make much difference? Is there a SMALL DD coil for the X-70 or 705 at 17.5 Khz, which would help it handle the hot ground? The goldbugpro claims it can handle hot ground with a small 5" DD coil. Since Andy Sabisch only tried high tones with the Safari, I'd still like to see him try low tones in hot ground in the mountains!

Also, can a White's TDI get small gold, from 1 to 10 grains? Dave Johnson says big nuggets are rare and we need to find 1 to 10 grain targets. Of course he's working on the goldbugpro.

White's says it could claim 17 frequencies for the Spectra V3, instead of 3, if they counted harmonics. 17 is the number Minelab claims for bbs detectors. Does Minelab count harmonics for the 17 and 28 frequency detectors (bbs and fbs)??!

Thanks again, everybody!

Thanks for all the replies. So even though the Safari runs up to 100 Khz, higher than a goldbug II, it's not sensitive enough for small gold below one gram! Would a small DD coil make much difference? Is there a SMALL DD coil for the X-70 or 705 at 17.5 Khz, which would help it handle the hot ground? The goldbugpro claims it can handle hot ground with a small 5" DD coil. Since Andy Sabisch only tried high tones with the Safari, I'd still like to see him try low tones in hot ground in the mountains!

Also, can a White's TDI get small gold, from 1 to 10 grains? Dave Johnson says big nuggets are rare and we need to find 1 to 10 grain targets. Of course he's working on the goldbugpro.

White's says it could claim 17 frequencies for the Spectra V3, instead of 3, if they counted harmonics. 17 is the number Minelab claims for bbs detectors. Does Minelab count harmonics for the 17 and 28 frequency detectors (bbs and fbs)??!

Thanks again, everybody!

I've never used any of those machine mentioned except the TDI. But you asked how sensitive it is to small gold. Here's a pic of a couple of the smaller ones I found with it. Not sure of the weight but I have found #8 birdshot with it several times, and that's with the stock 12" loop. So, I know it will find them small. But not as small as a Goldmaster or Goldbug. And mineralized ground, hot rocks, EMT interference... non existent.

Digger Bob

post-413-128146742042_thumb.jpg

I think when you split up the signal into lots of frequencies, you are getting a weaker signal for each, even if one of them is 100 Khz. The composition of a natural gold nugget does not sound off as loudly as a man-made refined metal coin, so that is another reason to get a detector made specifically for detecting gold. As others mentioned, the mineralization of gold fields may also very well throw the detector you are talking about for a loop, at least that is usually the case with all vlf detectors I have heard of, even those made specifically for gold detection.

The Safari can find small lead shot and plated bb's. I wonder if the 100 Khz frequency is a harmonic, which would be weaker than a regular frequency? The White's TDI sounds great, #8 birdshot, but there is one drawback, the lack of a rechargeable battery option. How do you recharge in the field? A solar panel?

Concerning the ground balance, I understand the Safari selects the frequencies least affected by ground minerals. Since Beer Beeper on AZO has found 1 gram, or 15.432 grains with fbs & bbs, I still wonder if a small 5"DD coil would work for small gold, maybe down to 5 grains, on the Safari?