Nugget Shooter Forums

A prayer please

Au Seeker

I hope your pup makes a fast and full reovery:) They mean so much to us all. I'd really like to point out how great all of you guys on the forum are. Not only for everyone's heart felt response but also for not bagging on pitt bulls. I know you probably have some negative feelings towards those particular dogs for what happened but I hope that you blame the owner and not the breed. Three dogs or more (of any kind) will make a pack and can become very territorial if not properly exercised. I'm soooooo sorry for what happened. I own to well behaved cuddle bug pitties and I hate to see when this sort of thing happens with any dogs. Best friends on earth.

Get well soon.

Update

Teddy Bear went back to the vet yesterday and they wanted to keep her overnight and was suppose to start closing up the major wounds early today, but that didn't happen, the vet consulted with a Veterinarian Surgeon and they don't think there is enough tissue and skin left with at least one of the two major wounds to her right leg to close it up properly so their advice is to let it heal and close on it own, the expense of tissue and skin grafts would be astronomical, they say that it will close up on it's own but you will always be able to see the missing muscle tissue, and that no hair will grow back once the wound closes itself.

She will spend another night there and tomorrow they will give her local anesthesia and clean her wounds very well, cut out any dead tissue and stitch any portions of the wounds they can the rest will have to heal over on it's own.

Good news though, my wife Cathy when to visit Teddy Bear today and spent some time with her and Teddy Bear is walking on all 4 legs :thumbsupanim , but with a limp and getting around much better, up to this point she couldn't use the right leg at all, yesterday her right leg was swollen about twice it normal size, the vet was afraid that the circulation was 50% to 75% nonexistent, but today that has seem to have gotten MUCH better, the swelling has gone down to only about 10% over normal, if this continues she should get most of her leg function back!!!

I have no animosities towards the Pit Bulls, the owners though whom are friends of mine I've had some words with concerning their lack of "Pack Leadership" skills with these dogs and I told them that they were lucky that this didn't happen to a child climbing over their fence to retrieve a ball or toy, these dogs would attack anything that is not normal to them in there yard even a child :yikes: , they didn't believe what I was saying until my son walked over to talked to me and two of the Pitts CHARGED at him :*&$*(: luckily for the Pitts there was a fence there to stop them, it wouldn't been good for the Pitts if they had bit my son, also I told them that they have no signs to warn anyone that there maybe a risk with these dogs and that they need to post them ASAP.

They now see the dogs in a little different light, I think :shrug: , Animal Control with be paying them a visit tomorrow according to my wife as they couldn't produce any rabies shots records the day Teddy Bear was attacked nor at this time as well, they told my wife that the dogs had their shots, but they don't seem to want to produce the records if there's are any records, I didn't know that they didn't have any record of having shots for these dogs until today when my wife told me about calling Animal Control, my wife and I are adamant about seeing these records which is the reason she contacted Animal Control today.

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers everyone!!!

Skip

Update:

Teddy Bear went by to the Vet yesterday, the vet is really pleased with the way her worst wounds look, he says they are progressing better than he ever thought was possible is such a short time, she still has a long way to go before her wounds heal up to a point that infection is no longer a big risk, we cannot completely cover the wounds, as they need to stay open to drain any fluids, we do have bandages on her leg just below the worst parts of her wounds to absorb any fluids.

The staff at the Vet's office thinks she is the toughest dog they have ever seen come through their doors, she is going to be a highlight/recovery story on their wall.

She is using her leg all the time now, but still has a bad limp, but otherwise she seems to be back to as normal as possible considering the trauma she has gone through.

I know that all the thoughts and prayers has help very much with her recovery, THANKS to everyone for your support!!! :D:D

Skip

OUTFRIGGINSTANDING!

I know this is sort of unusual, but I would like to ask for a few prayers for my dog Teddy Bear, she is a Chow mixed, yellow to gold in color, about 40 lbs.

She got out of our fenced in yard today and went into the neighbor's yard where she was attacked by 3-60 to 70 lbs Pit Bulls, and they torn her up pretty bad and it is unknown how long they were attacking her before my neighbor's wife went out to investigate, she is at the Vet, and we will not know if she will make it or not at this point, it is a wait and see at this point, she may have suffered heat stroke as well.

How she got out of the yard is known, but I don't want to think about it at this time, but my mother in law was involved but she is in denial at this point. :*&$*(:

Skip Skip, I know how presious your Dog is, I have two of my own.I will pray for You and for Her. Doug

Thanks Doug :) , she is doing well at this time, as mentioned it will take a while for her to heal completely.

On a side note, we are getting much better TV reception now since she is having to wear a "satellite dish" around her neck for a while to keep her from licking her wounds to much!! smiley-sw010.gif

Skip

Thanks Rich!

We have to control her cleaning her wounds to some degree, as her right elbow joint is exposed and her cleaning it to much will expose it more/to much, Vet's orders.

The Pitts literally tried to chew her leg off.

Skip

• 2 months later...

Thanks for asking,

Teddy Bear has made a great recovery :thumbsupanim , she had two major wounds to her right front leg, one at her elbow joint just below her shoulder that was 2" wide and 4" long, 1" square inch of her elbow joint was exposed in the center of this wound, all the muscle tissue had been chewed out by the pits, this wound has completely heal over and now the scar that you can see is about 2" long and 1/2" or so wide, it is amazing to me that a wound like this healed so well as the Vet couldn't stitch any of it because of the loss of tissue and skin.

The other wound was in her "armpit" on the other side of her elbow, it was mainly an open wound with not as much tissue loss about 3" long, it heal about 3X as fast as the other wound.

The 2 major wounds healed on their own, only with a daily cleaning and left opened to drain, along with 2 different antibiotics, she did have to wear a "satellite dish" around her neck to keep her from licking the wounds, we were able to get GREAT reception on our TVs and cellphones while she was wearing it though. :ROFL:

She also had many smaller bite marks/punctures, and some internal damage to one of her ears, but all of these heal rather quickly, the ear problem had to be retreated after a reinfection, but another dose of antibiotics cleared that up.

She has had no permanent damage, luckily there was no bone or tendon damage, but she didn't learn her lesson, she is not afraid of the pits even after the ordeal, she is a stout dog and could have probably held her own if it was only one pit instead of 3, she is not aggressive toward other dogs, but she will stand her ground if another dog get aggressive towards her, but she needs to learn when to RUN when she is outnumbered :whaaaa: !!!

Skip

she did have to wear a "satellite dish" around her neck

That's AWESOME to hear she's doing well and with little/no permanent damage, Skip! :thumbsupanim

As for that Satellite Dish... We have called it the Cone of Shame since watching the movie Up with my daughter. When my boy dog became a little less "boy" he had one on. He would plant his head against the sliding glass door and my daughter squealed with laughter once and stated that he looked like a suction cup. Too funny.

Archived