Nugget Shooter Forums

i wonder if any body knows any areas in southern nevada around search light/ jean or any of the ghost town areas within and hour or two of las vegas where i can go and do a bit of dry washing.

These areas would have to be blm land and un claimed.

There is a lot of talk about dirt roads have been closed to the public and sheriffs seizing peoples equipment and vehicles if caught prospecting in the desert in nevada.

GSSN had claims in the johnnie district in Pahrump but they no longer have these claims.

i usually prospect alone and if possible i want to avoid dirt roads that are very sandy or soft as if i get stuck it would be hard getting out with no help. if anyone knows any areas i can try and if its legal to prospect i would be greatful. i love going to gold basin but i find that its better to campout there for the weekend and if i could find some place i could do a few hours of drywashing near vegas it would be handy during the hot weather.

any advice greatly appreciated. and does any body know if GPAA has any claims near las vegas.

Colorado river placers way below the dam gave up some heavy pure silver mercury treatment plates 10 years ago-bud died who drove us there or I'd tell ya exactly where-sorry but you know what happens in Vegas leaves ya a mite forgetful the next day---or 2??John

Colorado river placers way below the dam gave up some heavy pure silver mercury treatment plates 10 years ago-bud died who drove us there or I'd tell ya exactly where-sorry but you know what happens in Vegas leaves ya a mite forgetful the next day---or 2??John

mostly along the colorado river is now statepark and rigerously patrolled by rangers and sheriffs from what i have heard, locals who went fishing in remote areas had visits paid to them from rangers looking for fishing licences and checking if they were smoking dope or consuming alcahol and i believe they were none to friendly, even hassling people with kids fishing. im guessing they have live satelite view when their able to locate people so quickly, within a few hours of fishing. by bthe looks of things they want people off public lands to keep it available for solar panels /windmills and guessing train tracks.

Was just looking over the Searchlight area wondering the same thing on the way to Tipton. We are looking to relocate and after looking in the Henderson/Boulder area, thinking we need to look into the Pahrump area. We are needing horse acres and would consider a horse community with a central arena area. Three reasons for looking at southern Nevada for us, looking to start a few LLC's, liking the camping/prospecting possiblities of the tri-state area, and we want to be someplace to center our travels from.

I've not been in the searchlight area too often, however any type of research I've done indicates that if you can find "free gold" it's too fine to make the weekend prospecting worth the while. I heard of some nuggets coming from the area, however those tails are few and far between. I am by no means an expert on that area and I'm curious to see what the guy's who really know their stuff have to say about the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not been in the searchlight area too often, however any type of research I've done indicates that if you can find "free gold" it's too fine to make the weekend prospecting worth the while. I heard of some nuggets coming from the area, however those tails are few and far between. I am by no means an expert on that area and I'm curious to see what the guy's who really know their stuff have to say about the area.

thanks for the reply Rudy, im going to have to invest in some good maps from blm. north east of lake meade near vegas there is an area called mud creek i think this is a dry wash and im going to do a little research to see if i can go there and try a few hours drywashing most of thr mud creek wash is outside lake meade state park area. A lot of the search light area seems to be claimed by individuals and comapnies. i would have loved to have tried next to colorado river, but its too chancy with rangers hassling people.

• 3 weeks later...

If you connect with the "Nye County Gold Seekers" club, you might be able to find out more. I just found their site on the web myself.

• 3 weeks later...

If you connect with the "Nye County Gold Seekers" club, you might be able to find out more. I just found their site on the web myself.

Gssn had club lands out there in pahrump. i would like some day to try out there in pahrump/ looking at the club photos it looks interesting to try a bit of sluicing or drywashing. its about 80 miles from vegas, the trouble is im kinda hooked on gold basin i enjoy going there at the weekends and doing a bit of dry washing or sluicing. over the summer i have only worked at night/ i have been getting a little gold but nothing to get excited about/ im hopeing the weather will cool down a little so i can prospect over the weekends, i usually camp out in a tent but close calls with snakes has really rattled me. i wish i could get a small rv it would make life easier for weekend prospecting.

when the weather cools im going to look at sites in nevada more.

When the new bride open over the dam it will knock a good bit of time off the trip. i found a short cut that knocks 30 miles off the trip to old basin but my 4 wheel drive is only 2 wheel drive as the front axle broke a few years back, the mountain roads have a lot of loose deep gravel and the truck was fish tailing a good bit and if i got stuck id be in a bit of bother. going by dolan springs adds nearly or 30 plus miles.

oh the joy of prospecting ,lol.

LinkSilvervortek ask Bill Southern the owner of this forum if he has these books in stock. Second row from the bottom. Link

Rich

i will eventually get some books which would provide lots of info for the past year and next few weeks i can only afford gas and food for prospecting so i will have to take it easy / i tried selling a bit of fine gold and small pickers but i couldent get sale for it. i will have to wait until i have an ounce and a half or 2 ounces to sell and i need to get a small scale to weigh what i have. its a shame there is no reputable gold dealer/ here in vegas there only seems to be pawn shops and they only want to buy gold jewellery. id rather keep the gold than get rid of it for next to nothing.

i will have to look into getting a small porcelain cruicible/ borax flux and i have a map gas torch which might get hot enough to make a small button, but when one goes down that road one might as well refine the gold and get it as pure as possible/ locals have told me that gold basin gold is usually 22 karat. but going to that bother one would probably need a pound or two of gold.

well any way enough ranting and raving out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

I live out here in Pahrump

The guy who has the Claims up around the Old Jonnie now is a Fairly nice guy If you talk with him I am sure he will let you go out there. Make sure your talking to the owner and not some squatter up there! He does not live or stay up there he lives works and runs a business's here in Pahrump.

Most of the Gold is down really deep and he knows the chances of getting much off the surface is slim.

Last we had talked he had almost all the claims in that area all he wanted was a report to him any finds and on wich claim it was found. :thumbsupanim

The other guy who had a claim up there before was an ass! :*&$*(:

He liked too think it was all his and didnt want any one up there even though he only had a few acres of claims he was squatting on the old claims claiming they were his with no paperwork. :baaasmiley:

Never once did he say were his claims end or start when asked, just started barking about who owns what and NO you couldn't go up there.

I went on up too the old mine any ways not to prospect but too look around just too be an ass back! :inocent:

Some time Later on another trip up there fooling around with the 4x4 I met the real owner out putting up claim markers and got too talking with him like I said he is a nice old guy very easy going.

There are a Lot of claims out around here in the spring mountains do your research find out who owns them send letters and or look them up give them a call you just might meet some one you like :hmmmmm:

I would say something but I am way beyond coherent thought in regards to Pahs rump.

Ok, I've got a fresh mind this morning. Is there anything that you could say about living in Pahrump that would inform someone possibly looking to live there? Arial maps make it look like there are many developments that have stalled out.

thanks doright. i wonder how deep one has to dig im digging nearly 5 foot deep in az to get some gold. is there caliche there too. if i was going out there i would probably join the nye seekers club and work the club grounds.

talking to Hoover Dam security checkpoint guards they say a lot of people go to Arizona to prospect, i just wonder if there are any more reading or looking at these forums. i will eventually get set up better after a while with books and maps.

i was out saturday night got a littlecolour but had to dig through cement like ground with big boulders/ i was hopeing big nug was stuck between the boulders but no such look yet.

And for capt you have to go over the hump to pahrump and if i got the job i was looking for there i would have been shot dead about 6 months back by a fugitave been hunted by the fbi. thats a story for another day.

Anyone out there ever try the Coolgarde area outside of Barstow? I always see people out there drywashing on weekends when I head out there for a drive.

And for capt you have to go over the hump to pahrump and if i got the job i was looking for there i would have been shot dead about 6 months back by a fugitave been hunted by the fbi. thats a story for another day.

Jobs that handle money in unprotected areas around unscrupulous people are a ticket for disaster. Some jobs aren't worth it. Glad you didn't get the job.