Nugget Shooter Forums

The Az Mine and Mineral Museum Pheonix

John B.

Hi All

I had a nice chat with the curator of the Az Mine and Mineral Museum today. As of this thursday the museum will be run by the historical society. Jan the curator said it will probably stay pretty much as is for 6 to 9 months. The historical society is attempting to raise 12 million bucks to convert it to the centenial museum. If they recieve donated funding the mineral museum will probably be dispersed. Jan said the bulk of the specimens are privatly owned and their may be some form of privately funded mineral museum in the future if the collection is not allowed to be displayed there. I guess the state funding for the historical society has been heavily cut as well. I have no particular love for the historical society or the pompass archeologists that support it. It's these nimrods and thier pull that create grief for us whom love the detecting hobby. Well I have a nice collection of gold and space rocks (mostly Arizona found) up there that if you haven't gotten a chance to see you might do it reasonably quickly. I will allow my collection to stay on loan there as long as the mineral museum stays pretty much complete and in reasonably competent hands.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hey John,

Though we have never met, I have seen your collection at the museum and read hundreds of your posts here and on other forums. I am very concerned that the green meanies will succeed in erasing gold mining history in the state of Arizona, much like what is happening in California. I have pledged support, and money, to preserving Arizona's mining and pioneer history all my life. I am more than willing to help continue - or create a new - Arizona mining museum and education center. It is my strong opinion, that unless we jump on this with both feet, in 10-years we may not be able to enjoy our profession - or hobby, the way we do today. In example, dredging in California. Here today, gone tomorrow. - Terry

Hi All

I had a nice chat with the curator of the Az Mine and Mineral Museum today. As of this thursday the museum will be run by the historical society. Jan the curator said it will probably stay pretty much as is for 6 to 9 months. The historical society is attempting to raise 12 million bucks to convert it to the centenial museum. If they recieve donated funding the mineral museum will probably be dispersed. Jan said the bulk of the specimens are privatly owned and their may be some form of privately funded mineral museum in the future if the collection is not allowed to be displayed there. I guess the state funding for the historical society has been heavily cut as well. I have no particular love for the historical society or the pompass archeologists that support it. It's these nimrods and thier pull that create grief for us whom love the detecting hobby. Well I have a nice collection of gold and space rocks (mostly Arizona found) up there that if you haven't gotten a chance to see you might do it reasonably quickly. I will allow my collection to stay on loan there as long as the mineral museum stays pretty much complete and in reasonably competent hands.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Terry and All

Your correct but we may already be too late. Mining has a horrible historical reputation and at this time in this country it is on a fast track on the way out. Mining and detecting is on the bottom of the food chain with the current environment in this country. I have always been supportive as well, primarrily in education towards prospecting and meteorite hunting. It seems laws are changing buy interpritation and not nessissarily legislation as is the way of meteorites. It won't be much longer before this leadership puts the cross hairs on mining and other outdoor activities. I really hope I'm wrong but sadly I doubt it.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hey John B, are you still smoking? If so, how do you like the Obama "I won't raise taxes" $8.00 a carton cigarette tax and the bogus "fire-proof" papers??? So much for the Land Of Liberty. Now you have to go to a museum to see a real Marlboro.

Oh, the durdy lying bast*rd also raised the tax on rolling tobacco from $1.78 a pound to a whopping $28.00 a pound.