Nugget Shooter Forums

New guy needs help!

Hey everyone..

I'm new here. I will be going on my first panning trip in a couple weeks to Lynx lake in AZ. I moved to Tucson about 2 years ago from the south and want to start looking for gold. I haven't found any yet but have panned a little around here. I'm interested in getting a metal detector but my funds are limited to around 250$ or so.. Any advice or thoughts are extremely welcomed. Places to go? ways to hunt? etc... Thanks in advance!

James-

James,

For $250 you are not going to find a new detector that will do a good job of finding gold, so I would recommend trying to get a older White's Gold Master off of Ebay or look for one in the classifieds on some of the gold forums, such Gold Master 2, Gold Master 3, Gold Master VSAT, Gold Master 4/B, of these 4 I would recommend the GM3 or GM VSAT as first choices, it may take you a while to find one they will usually sell for $200 to $400 but all of these models will find you some gold if you can swing your coil over some once you learn the detector.

If you do find one of these Gold Masters you can download a PDF owner's manual from White's website.

Skip

Please let me add the Gold Bug and Gold Bug2 as options. I use a Gold Bug 2 and its a darn fine detector.

HPS,

I agree that the Gold Bug is an option, and the Gold Bug 2 is a very fine detector, but I doubt that anyone will sell a Gold Bug 2 for $250 or so, unless you want to sell me yours for $250? :inocent:

You can most likely find an original Gold Bug for $250, but I would still go for the Gold Masters over the original Gold Bug, I think the higher frequency of the GMs would be a better choice, but I wouldn't pass up an original Gold Bug if that was all I could find for the money.

Skip

Hey James! First, you don't have to drive for hours up to Lynx Creek! You have GREAT gold areas very near where you are in Tucson. Check out the Desert Gold Diggers Club - http://www.desert-gold-diggers.org/ and tell them I sent you! Save your money! Do not buy anything less than a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq ($630-new / $400-$500 used), or a Fisher Gold Bug II ($750-new / $400-$500 used). You will NOT find gold nuggets with anything less - simple as that! Good Luck and Big Nuggets! :thumbsupanim Terry

Thanks for all the help guys! I was looking at that original gold bug last night actually. I haven't seen any whites that say gold master yet though. I do see whites GMZ and MXT etc. Are those any good? There's a gold bug 2 on ebay for 500 but the guy has zero stars. That worries me.. I'll keep looking. The reason i was gonna go to lynx lake was because it was free and legal to pan there. This plan was made before i thought about getting a detector. I'll definitely check out the group you mentioned and join. Thanks again and feel free to keep the advice comin.

James-

There are 2 goldmaster v/sat's and one goldmaster 2 on ebay right now ... One looks like a really good deal at $99 ... the others are cheaper but they are flawed..

Cheers, Unc

Hey everyone..

I'm new here. I will be going on my first panning trip in a couple weeks to Lynx lake in AZ. I moved to Tucson about 2 years ago from the south and want to start looking for gold. I haven't found any yet but have panned a little around here. I'm interested in getting a metal detector but my funds are limited to around 250$ or so.. Any advice or thoughts are extremely welcomed. Places to go? ways to hunt? etc... Thanks in advance!

James-

You could try dry washing in the desert for gold/ maybe get a used puffer dry washer and a shovel to start. Join a club some have dry washers and metal detectors that you can borrow to try out plus you would be on club grounds and you could work known gold producing areas/ get tips and advice from club members. clubs GPAA GSSN and mohave prospectors association.

For winter and autumnim fairly new at this too and with all the rain thats falling in gold basin the ground might soon be too damp for dry washing. last winter i used a re circulating sluice with 2 1000 gallon per hour bilge pumps./12 volt battery three eight inch screens to screen out stones out of material to run through the sluice. youd need a minimum of a 55 gallon plastic barrell to carry water/ or several 5 gallon buckets with lids if your in the desert.

i think youd need to spend $1000 on a metal detector to get a basic decent gold finding machine and if your not finding much with the detector it would get boring fast/ with the sluice or puffer machine and digging in known or recently dug areas you stand a better chance of finding fine gold or even a small picker or two.

i have never been to lynx creek but if there were small tributries with water flowing into the lake the sluice would work well, you could go through a lot more dirt to find gold than simply panning. and dont get talked into buying a desert fox/ gold wheel there great but only good for processing sluice and dry washer fines which may contain gold. you can pan those your self.

hopefully more people in the forum will jump in and give you some advice. its a good hobby and hopefully you will get loads of gold, feel free to e mail me at silvervortek2000@yahoo.com if you have any questions or would like to meet up at gold basin , i joined the GSSN club in vegas and prospect on their club grounds most weekends.

Im only at this a few months myself its been a learning curve, advice from local and knowledgable prospectors is worth its weight in gold and i have found people to be very helpful and friendly. i started out with very little money to buy equipment my self and mohave prospectors club president makes a small puffer/ dry washer that costs $350. it works greatand i have seen several working and they get the gold if its to be got