Nugget Shooter Forums

Well I went and did it

As many of you remember late last year I lost my nugget hunting companion of ten years, My boxer Zia, so many of you responded with kind words and alot of you telling me to jump back in and get another. It was such a devistating experience I swore I wouldn't go thru that pain again, that was the 2nd time, It hurt for months and still does. Both of my dogs are buried in the back yard and I speak to them every day, A couple of months back we even had to put our cat to sleep and she is buried between the two. Well it has been about 9 months and this last Sunday we were up the Bitteroot and decieded to stop in at the Humane Society and have a look around. And shur enough in one bay this dog looks up at us and I was hit with a load of rocks right in the heart. Here was this young 1 yr old Brindle female Boxer with the big eyes begging to go home. That was it. After a short visit and some paperwork we were on our way home with a new companion named Dusty. We were told that she came to the shelter on the 4th of July and we were the only ones that showed interest in her. She just made herself at home and took to us like a flee to a dog. A little on the thin side but the way she is eating she will be fit in no time. The Humane Society was great to work with and as with all shelters they work on a shoe string budget and alot of volunteer help. I was glad I could help out. Every once in awhile I will buy a bag of dog food and take it to a shelter to help out.

Maybe I'm and old fuddy duddy or softy but I have a soft spot for boxers. The other 2 won't be forgotten and this one will bring a new joy to the gold fields.

Just wanted to share.

enjoy and have a good day

Allen in MT

post-227-1280278240_thumb.jpg

Great post, wishing you many more happy prospecting days with the new found partner. I remember when I was little and our dog Wolfer died (a white samoyed), we found a little piece of granite put his name on it with nail polish and buried him in the front yard. My little brother and I grew up with that dog and we were crushed to lose him.

Great news, Allen, that is good to hear. We were never meant to forget the ones that move on, but a new one does sure help get your mind off of the one a person is missing. It took the wife and I, after we had to put our last dog down due to medical problems, four years to replace her. After about six hours we were, and are, glad we did.

It is kind of sad to think about people that choose to never experience a dog's devotion, especially the way they throw it at you. Those people just don't realize what they are missing in life.

Again, congratulations.

Greg

It is good to hear that you are healed up enough for another companion. Those old dogs need us as much as we need them! I bet Dusty will fit right in with your family and before long you will not know what life was like without the smelly ol' cur following you everywhere.

Give her a pat on the head and tell her that Wally says "hi" from down here at the tail end of the rockies.

I came across this out in Nevada earlier this year. Poignant rememberance of a well loved dog.

Diggerpost-413-128034562498_thumb.jpgpost-413-128034564452_thumb.jpg

I lost my beloved Schnauzer and was hurting just like you. I looked on the internet at the local humane society and they had an english setter. I made the mistake of going and taking a look. I put my hand through the bars and a big set of brown eyes looked up and a tounge licked me. I was a gonner. A dog will love you forever, women who knows???I will past a picture later when I figure out how.

Aloha Allen,

Man, no way could anyone pass up those forlorn looking eyes. Someone sure us lucky! Not going to know who just yet but it looks like both of you.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

• 2 weeks later...