Nugget Shooter Forums

California - Nuff Said!

California May Change State Rock Due to Asbestos - News from Mesothelioma Web

Forty-five years ago, California legislators passed a resolution naming serpentine as the state rock. According to the resolution, serpentine symbolized the spirit of prosperity and adventure during the state's Gold Rush years of the mid-nineteenth century. An unpleasant reality of the twenty-first century has led at least one modern-day lawmaker to consider retracting the rock's status. The use of serpentine as an ore for the mineral asbestos has created a controversy at the Sacramento state house.

California State Senator Gloria Romero (D-Los Angeles) authored a bill that would strip serpentine of its status as the state's official rock. She told reporters that California has the highest incidence rates of asbestos-related diseases in the country and that, in light of that statistic, "celebrating" serpentine as the state rock would not be "appropriate". She said that the issue is one of "health and public awareness" that should reflect the state's "health-conscious" image. However, the bill has run into strong opposition from some unlikely sources.

Garry Hayes, a geology instructor at Modesto Community College, joined an online social media campaign to protest the bill. He said that asbestos is "a small part" of the light green rock. He also said that the rock, formally known as "serpentinite", is "an ideal symbol" of California. Dr. Malcolm Ross, a former geologist with the US Geological Survey, said that "casual exposure" to the rock would not create a health hazard. The process by which asbestos in the serpentine would become hazardous involves crushing the ore and extracting the mineral, a process that would not occur in casual contact.

The bill, which passed a Senate vote last week, also has its supporters. Linda Reinstein, president of the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization, applauded the move. She said that the purpose of the bill is "education and awareness". She also said that Senator Romero has received numerous letters of support on the bill, including one from the Los Angeles Children's Hospital.

During the Gold Rush years, thousands of newcomers to California who were prospecting for gold also found serpentine in many of the same areas. A century after the Gold Rush faded, a new mining rush came to many areas of the state. Industrial mines began extracting asbestos from the serpentine for use in construction projects. At the time, asbestos was a popular used in walls, ceilings and around pipes as insulation and fireproofing material. Concrete manufacturers also used asbestos as a way to bind components. With the mineral's widespread success, the asbestos industry was able to lobby state legislators into certifying serpentine as the state rock.

Since the late 1970s, scientific studies have shown a causal link between exposure to asbestos and the occurrence of respiratory disorders. A form of cancer that strikes the protective tissue around the lungs, known as mesothelioma, has also been linked to asbestos. Medical researchers believe that workers who handle loose asbestos and inhale its dust can contract mesothelioma, as well as other lung diseases and forms of cancer. Mesothelioma patients rarely live for more than two years after their diagnosis.

Sources: Associated Press

:hahaha: - Terry

Not surprised to hear this one. It seems California has been making an attempt to erase their mining history and this is just another example of that. Another good example is the state series quarter. I personally feel the image should have had something to do with gold mining but they instead chose the Eco-Nazi environmentalist John Muir because it's the popular thing right now. You know California isn't called the "Golden State" for no reason! Hmmmm.... I wonder if this will eventually get changed too!

I must say that I fully understand both sides of this problem.

Personally having first hand knowledge about mesothelioma, my daughters best friend is dying from it, I understand the concern. At the same time, the fact that the greenie As@@@@@'s are trying their best to kill all recreation in California, has me pissed off.

It's not just mining; its 4 wheeling, its fishing, hell its even camping. These idiots are so stupid that they do not realize that they are screwing themselves also.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Bob

Personally having first hand knowledge about mesothelioma, my daughters best friend is dying from it, I understand the concern. At the same time, the fact that the greenie As@@@@@'s are trying their best to kill all recreation in California, has me pissed off.

It's not just mining; its 4 wheeling, its fishing, hell its even camping. These idiots are so stupid that they do not realize that they are screwing themselves also.

Bob

Bob I also understand the problem. Greenie or not it is just like "MIB" People are stupid. They want to ride their toys indescrimatly on every path and road. Sign and maps. Specifically say not to drive the dirtbikes and atvs on the black top roads. Yet they repeatedly ride them. There were when I stayed there last year numerous trucks on that road deliering windmill parts. Same goes for the RAND management area which lists the Randsburg/Mojave rd as street veheicals only. That road is reserved for the trucks moving shale and such. Yet I often saw troops of riders on it.

They do not read the maps or follow the rules. And Government will eventually change the rules to eleminate the problem if they cannot follow them.

Bob

Well Gee Bob, while I agree with you, I thought according to all the experts, that dredging was coming back to California???

The total disregard for the Constitution and Federal Law in that state, is rampant.

It used to be said "So goes California, so goes the Nation". I think that has changed at this point. With a weak Governor, the love of illegal Democrats and the attack of the 50 foot Pelosi....California has gone way past its own norm. Businesses are leaving Cali in droves (reducing its tax base) and so are people in general.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that California's problems go much deeper than the rest of the nations, because of the broken political system. It is broken, in my estimation because the Democrats have past so many bad laws, that middle thinking Independants and Republicans are or already have fled. One way to totally lean the state "left", is to change and stop teaching the History of the state. But of course, this is also being tried all across America too. :twocents:

If Cailfornia wants to get rid of serpentine as the state rock. I really do not care. After all yes, there is a problem associated with it. How things got promoted were because it was pushing the advance of this rock.

But what is their new state rock to be ?

Jim,

I think the new state rock should be,leaverite. The stuff is found every where you go, it's useless except for building walls and even that is questionable!!!

Bob :olddude:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be happy to have something else as a state rock. Serpentine gets to be a real bad word here when property reports in real estate show it at a home site or construction site. Complicates any future construction.

Then the "popcorn" ceilings and the old Army bases that are closed partially due to the buildings having asbestos is another problem.

The political idiots that have control of this state are beyond anything even reasonable... total nincompoops for sure. On the other hand, I think California is still a fantastic place to live... Great weather, super mountainous terrain, the world's largest trees, the world's oldest trees, beautiful oceans and deserts. I could go on and on. Then there is the Motherlode! I think the rock should stay the same it is very fitting for the state. Beautiful sheen and color in the rock, much great history around it but inside it has a demon ... asbestos fibres. The rock is like the state.... outside there is beauty and inside is nasty stuff just like the politicians running this state! I'm not moving unless it is to a 40' sailboat!

The political idiots that have control of this state are beyond anything even reasonable... total nincompoops for sure. On the other hand, I think California is still a fantastic place to live... Great weather, super mountainous terrain, the world's largest trees, the world's oldest trees, beautiful oceans and deserts. I could go on and on. Then there is the Motherlode! I think the rock should stay the same it is very fitting for the state. Beautiful sheen and color in the rock, much great history around it but inside it has a demon ... asbestos fibres. The rock is like the state.... outside there is beauty and inside is nasty stuff just like the politicians running this state! I'm not moving unless it is to a 40' sailboat!

Don't get me talkin about MUD TAX!

Just a FYI:

The google adword -pay per click- for mesothelioma was $70 to $80 at one time. I suspect it is still high with personal injury lawyers paying for the ads. I suppose around San Diego and Bethlehem being the most common.

Internet marketers making money for little work with hundreds of sites.

A motorhome on BLM land is much cheaper than a sailboat and a lot closer to the lode. IJS

California's progressive Years of Math 1950 - 2010

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?(There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok).

6. Teaching Math In 2010

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

California’s progressive way of thinking now is

Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway because it’s a redistribution of wealth.

post-300-128164490174_thumb.jpg

That's funny because I've heard Tennessee is one of the states with the lowest debt, at least before 2009, it was about $700 per person.