Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

Food 4 Thought Outing

Don, wish you were going to the outing we'd get to shake hands. I'm leaving shortly and can't wait to be free of everything for a week or so.

I'm takin the camera so pics will be here when we return.

Have fun Frank...are you taking Nellybelle? The weather is probably getting down right nice

so be on the look out for one of these guys...

Look what was found just south of Jacksonville.....

post-300-062701900 1288180427_thumb.jpg

post-300-074371200 1288180446_thumb.jpg

post-300-035751900 1288180468_thumb.jpg

THIS IS NOT A PYTHON!

This is a 15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake - the largest ever caught on record, in fact. This snake was found Near the St. Augustine outlet, in a new KB homes subdivision just south of Jacksonville FL.

A little research revealed the following:

One bite from a snake of this size would contain enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men.

The head of this snake alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man.

A bite from those fangs would comparable to being stabbed by two curved, 1/4 inch diameter screwdrivers.

The knife being used to draw out the fangs for the bottom picture has a blade around 4 inches long.

This snake is estimated to have weighed over 170 pounds. (How much do you weigh?)

Notice the girth of this snake as compared to the cop’s leg in the first picture (and he is not a small man).

A snake of this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child (and dogs, pigs, etc).

A snake this size has an approximately 5 1/2 foot accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size rattlesnake is about 2 feet.)

This snake has probably been alive since George Bush Sr. was President.

Now just ask yourself these questions: What has this snake been feeding on and where are its offspring?

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

Thanks for the welcome - I had no doubt that you guys knew about the LMNRA and its rules, but I do have a bad habit of trying to teach my own grandma how to suck eggs. :inocent: When there's a map with no land status on a public forum, no telling who will see it, or where they'll end up going trying to follow it! Abundance of caution and all.

I stay well back from the boundary up there, but down where I do get up close you can walk across none the wiser. There's a sign or two along some of the dirt roads and that's it. Start hiking around without a map showing land status (or detecting along with your head down) and you can get in deep doo-doo - though it's not likely anyone would be there to tag you on it. I've also seen some construction lately that makes me wonder if they've moved out the boundary in some spots that weren't heavily marked. Nearly a million acres of locatable land was also withdrawn over here on the Southern NV side less than a year ago, so that's now no-go, though there is nary a sign or fence in a million acres to tell you so, while most of the rest is slated for renewable energy projects, mostly wind farms, like the one nearing approval in the White Hills area, within sight of the meeting spot (unless they moved the boundary back as I've heard they would). Things are better over in AZ (plus there is more private land, accessible to those who know the owners), but I tell people over here in Southern NV that if they want to go out onto locatable public land and take a leak (doubtlessly illegal), that there's only room left to do it standing on one foot - while peeing on your shoe.

I'm sure you've talked to some of the BLM and Forest Service people - most are polite enough - but many of their opinions about their authority over, and their interpreation of the rules governing use of, the various kinds of public lands sure has curdled MY cream! :zip-lip:

I may end up out there, to meet some of the guys who know how its done, and whose exploits I sometimes get to glimpse online, though I'll keep a low profile! :ph34r2:

I'll get back to lurking - AUgie

Our government does some funny things with "our" land don't they... Land swaps, trust land, wilderness areas, etc....