Nugget Shooter Forums

Prospector Dies While Serving Community

It was a sad day yesterday. We began early at a briefing session with the LA Co. Sheriff's Office scheduled for 6AM in Lancaster, CA. A raid was planned for three adjacent houses. First the guys in kevlar vests went in. After securing the scene with all warrants served and hook-ups completed, the detectives and gun sniffing dog went to work. We [volunteers from the Prospectors Club of Southern California] then moved into the targeted yards with our metal detectors and probes. One of our Crime Scene Search Unit volunteers, Lee Burns of nearby Rosamond, located a buried gun in the second yard, but it turned out to be a toy. We were into the third yard when Lee, who also was the president of the Taft Prospecting Club and a member of local Antelope Valley clubs, suddenly collapsed. Out of the 30 or so law enforcement personnel on hand, several immediately began emergency measures with good quality field equipment, including bottled oxygen the shock paddles carried for such eventualities. The medics arrived in no time and whisked Lee off to the hospital. But he didn't make it, the victim of a massive heart attack at 67 years of age. Lovetta, his wife and equally active prospector also was a member of the PCSC Crime Scene Search Unit and was at his side almost immediately. I do not believe Lee visited the forums, but he was known and respected by many. The loss of such good men always is cause for sadness. The primary purpose of this posting, beyond the reporting of an event, is to recognize the contributions of one of our own who contributed his prospecting skills and equipment in the service of a constant struggle to secure a better society. I, and all of us, are diminished by his loss, but honored by his sacrifice.

Martin I am so sad to hear this news. Lee was a good man with a big heart and he always welcomed me around his camp. Anytime I knew he was in the area I would make some time to go and visit with him and Lovetta because I enjoyed their company and conversation so much. It's truly a sad day and he will be missed by many. Rest in peace Lee.

I am saddened by the passing of Mr. Burns, but I am glad he was surrounded by friends and family at the end and helping his community. My prayers are with you, his other friends, and his family. Thank you for sharing your post. - Terry

I am saddened by the passing of Mr. Burns, but I am glad he was surrounded by friends and family at the end and helping his community. My prayers are with you, his other friends, and his family. Thank you for sharing your post. - Terry

I knew him, from my the club AVTHS.

He had a ready smily and was a great cook. I know I'll miss him. My condolences to those he leaves behind.

It's always a sad day when friends are lost............

I have had the pleasure of sharing a few potluck meals with Lee and Lovetta at outings. I only knew him for a couple years, but Lee had an obvious enjoyment for all things outdoors and was so willing to share with others. It is hard to imagine Lovetta without Lee as they always seemed to do everything together and my heart especially goes out to her. My dad and I will both miss Lee as will everyone who knew him.

Joe

I have had the pleasure of sharing a few potluck meals with Lee and Lovetta at outings. I only knew him for a couple years, but Lee had an obvious enjoyment for all things outdoors and was so willing to share with others. It is hard to imagine Lovetta without Lee as they always seemed to do everything together and my heart especially goes out to her. My dad and I will both miss Lee as will everyone who knew him.

Joe

Hello micro, may i ask who you are ? Are you in AVTHS ? Just curious. I knoew lee And know Lovetta from AVTHS.

They were always friendly and open,easy to talk to members.