Nugget Shooter Forums

It was interesting

The area where I put our cabin is in the middle of a draw that had been mined 100 years ago. the ground is a more sandy gravel type and over the years has compacted but not cemented.

I had a 13' pvc water pipe 8" dia. that I perferated on one end. I planned on digging and putting this below the water table and use with a hand pump. . I figured next to the creek a few feet from the cabin would be a good spot and started digging with the back hoe. The hole was a measured 3 feet from the edge of the creek. Well to make a long story short we went down nine feet and no water, no seepage fron the creek, a dry hole. Well I thought a french drain so stuck a 4" pipe in the creek and cut a trench to the dug hole and buried it. the water flowed into the well over night and drained out somewhere. that didn't work so out came the french drain. Now I have to pull the 8" casing and try somewhere else. The white pipe in picture was suppose to be my well.

Thought for sure there would be water underground 3' from the creek :shrug:

I dug down 2' in the creek no problem but didn't want to break thru something and have the creek dissapear at that point. Interesting

Allen in MT

post-227-127906737987_thumb.jpg

Sorry about your lack of water troubles, but I really like how nice your cabin turned out--it looks great! I hope you find a way to get your well operational--that is something I really can't help you with.

All the best,

Lanny

Allen, How deep is the creek at its closest point to the cabin?

I'll PM you with the rest. I used to install Hydro electric plants for houses up in Shasta county. So I have some experience with creek water.

Actually the creek is only about 4-5 inches deep. the water comes out of a spring up hill behind us.

What I'm thinking now is to go about 100' up hill and put a 4" collection tube and neck it down and do a gravity feed source to the cabin. Should get about a 10-12' drop or more.

Allen

Actually the creek is only about 4-5 inches deep. the water comes out of a spring up hill behind us.

What I'm thinking now is to go about 100' up hill and put a 4" collection tube and neck it down and do a gravity feed source to the cabin. Should get about a 10-12' drop or more.

Allen

Good man! 100' is more than enough with that much drop. I would ask though, what is the elevation of the property? How cold does it get there in the winter and are you going to be using the cabin in the winter? If so, is it possible to bury the pipe, down to the cabin? If it does get cold enough to freze, the creek might not freeze if it is spring fed, but a tube/pipe might if it is above ground.

Good man! 100' is more than enough with that much drop. I would ask though, what is the elevation of the property? How cold does it get there in the winter and are you going to be using the cabin in the winter? If so, is it possible to bury the pipe, down to the cabin? If it does get cold enough to freze, the creek might not freeze if it is spring fed, but a tube/pipe might if it is above ground.

Would do a break down by the cabin so that it could be drained. Yes it gets to -30 and feet of snow. If we get alot of snow the 1st go around it can help as an insulator. I do not plan to use it in the winter. I go south in the winter :yuk-yuk: elevation is about 6100"

Allen

Would do a break down by the cabin so that it could be drained. Yes it gets to -30 and feet of snow. If we get alot of snow the 1st go around it can help as an insulator. I do not plan to use it in the winter. I go south in the winter :yuk-yuk: elevation is about 6100"

Allen

Well thats good, but please remember to drain your system, the last time you use it each year. Even without use, if you leave water in the system and it freezes, you will come back to busted pipes. Been there done that, years ago in Wisconsin. 30 below...brrr no thanks. But this 110 us getting me too.