Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite ID

I brought back from AZ a fist size rock that I believe may be a stone meteorite. I would like to have a sample cut off and have it tested by professionals. Can you tell me of a laboratory or university in N E Ohio who would identify and authenticate a sample. Thanks in advance. Lobo

Hey Lobo! I suggest starting here: http://meteorites.asu.edu/meteorite-facts/do-i-have-meteorite-0 It takes about six-months to get ASU to look at your speciman, and it needs to be pretty good in size, or you won't get much back. Good Luck! - Terry

I brought back from AZ a fist size rock that I believe may be a stone meteorite. I would like to have a sample cut off and have it tested by professionals. Can you tell me of a laboratory or university in N E Ohio who would identify and authenticate a sample. Thanks in advance. Lobo

This labs offers 3 day service...as well as same day and 10-14 day depending on how much you want to spend. The 10-14 day test runs $15.00 for up to three samples.

NEMS

D-sil,

BE FOREWARNED: New England Meteoritical will "perform analysis" of a given sample. It WILL NOT perform classification. No, they are not the same. And yes, one may be exclusive of the other. Big clue: if they were doing classifications, they'd be backed up two or three years, just like university meteorite labs. If you just want analysis or petrology, you can probably get that at any local assay lab for $15-$20.

Ben

D-sil,

BE FOREWARNED: New England Meteoritical will "perform analysis" of a given sample. It WILL NOT perform classification. No, they are not the same. And yes, one may be exclusive of the other. Big clue: if they were doing classifications, they'd be backed up two or three years, just like university meteorite labs. If you just want analysis or petrology, you can probably get that at any local assay lab for $15-$20.

Ben

Regmaglitch,

Yes, I know, and thanks for making the distinction for others who may be confused.

The OP asked for 'authentication' and not 'classification' so NEMS is one of the labs that will do just that.

Regards,

Daryl

Might sending a sample to NEMS be a prudent first step? Has anyone ever used their service? Would this give me a yes or no answer to the question "is this a meteorite"? In the unlikely event it came back "yes" then a sample could be sent to university meteorite lab for more comprehensive testing, identification, authentication, classification, or "what ever". Admittedly I do not know the difference. Thanks in advance. Lobo

• 1 month later...

The lab tests are back. I have a highly weathered igneous rock with some iron. Not a meteorite. It was found it in very damp ground, high on a mountain side. It pealed or shed much of it's exterior when it came out of the ground. I thought that may have been a fusion crust. It is attracted to a magnet, heavy for it's size and will not streak. When sliced; I could see spots inside that looked like photos of chondrules. This was the only "roundish", "potato shaped" rock I found in two days of beeping. Had I not dug it out of the ground myself ...............I would have thought some one had placed it there. It did not belong with it's surroundings!

I have a terrestrial rock with some attributes of a meteorite. This has been a informative and learning experience. I have enjoyed it. I have never attached a photo before but I will try. Lobo