Nugget Shooter Forums

Slow on here this morning.

I dollied a little over an oz. from some rocks, picked the gold up with mercury,

Friend put it in a potato & told me to put it in the fire & boil off the mercury. we had a iron wood fire that night & in she went with a lot of hard work to boot. Next morning no potato, no gold & a lot of work shot to hell. I was told that if I put gold in, there would be gold in the ashes, for Gold will not burn ,I took a lot of BS over that

I just found out that gold will not burn but will boil away like water.

So there, I am not crazy after all. (I know that is debatable) Most of my old Buddy's are gone, like my gold, May they RIP. Chuck

Was that OZ Gold or GOLD and Mercury?

You lost it because you cooked that tater to long.

It's in the bottom of the camp fire ash some place.

Please tell me you was well up wind of the project!

There are a lot of safer ways to do that!

Retort is the best, Recovers the Merc and cleans the gold.

Nitric Acid works too but is getting hard to obtain.

Was that OZ Gold or GOLD and Mercury?

You lost it because you cooked that tater to long.

It's in the bottom of the camp fire ash some place.

Please tell me you was well up wind of the project!

There are a lot of safer ways to do that!

Retort is the best, Recovers the Merc and cleans the gold.

Nitric Acid works too but is getting hard to obtain.

You are right Homefire! There it lays in the ashes of that campfire. Gold wont boil away or burn away. It isnt gone, just lost.

It only takes about 600 degrees to vaporize mercury. No need to get it very hot.

And you can ge nitric at the hydroponics store. It is not reagent grade but you can distill it and make it work peaches.

You are right Homefire! There it lays in the ashes of that campfire. Gold wont boil away or burn away. It isnt gone, just lost.

It only takes about 600 degrees to vaporize mercury. No need to get it very hot.

And you can ge nitric at the hydroponics store. It is not reagent grade but you can distill it and make it work peaches.

I thought I had the mistery solved when I read this artical in Google. I did find a little pill really light & doesent look like gold.

This is sorta awkward. Gold doesn't really "burn" in the general sense. Take some solid gold and heat it. When it gets hot enough (1064.18 °C or 1947.52 °F), it melts. It was a solid, and now the gold has changed state to become a liquid. But here's the catch. Gold, which is called a noble metal, just sits there molten. That's because it doesn't like to react with anything, and that means it is extremely difficult to "burn" gold. It won't oxidize (combine with oxygen), which is the basis for most "burning" in the conventional sense. (There are other forms of burning, but we'll set them aside for now.) Our liquid gold? Continue heating it and it will change state to a gas and boil away. Just like water would.

The term "burning" doesn't really represent a change of state. A change of state is a transition from solid to liquid to gas to plasma or back the other way. (Yes, some things change from solid directly to a gas and such, but let's look at the basics.) If we take ice and heat it, it melts. Keep heating it and it changes to steam. But it is still water. That's the key to change of state. In a change of state you don't chemically change the "stuff" you are heating or cooling - like the water we spoke about. When we "burn" something, chemical reactions take place, and the original chemical elements and compounds involved are changed by rearrangement. Gasoline is composed of a bunch of different hydrocarbons. If we burn it completely in air (with oxygen), the end products are water and carbon dioxide. (Set aside the other combustion byproducts that occur at elevated temperatures and pressures and that appear with incomplete combustion.) Burning liquid gasoline does not change its state but changes its chemistry. So burning something really doesn't represent a change of state.

The gold is still in the firepit. The boiling point of gold is 5084.6 °F. Your wood fire did not reach over 5000 degrees °F. :zapped:

Gold melts at 1948 degrees °F. Mercury boils at 674 °F. Most likely what happened is your mercury vaporized and your unmelted gold fell to the bottom of the ashes in the firepit.

The gold is still in the firepit. The boiling point of gold is 5084.6 °F. Your wood fire did not reach over 5000 degrees °F. :zapped:

Gold melts at 1948 degrees °F. Mercury boils at 674 °F. Most likely what happened is your mercury vaporized and your unmelted gold fell to the bottom of the ashes in the firepit.

Exactly! An ironwood fire will not get much over 1000 degrees without a blower and even if you blow air into a wood fire it BARELY gets hot enough to melt gold (2500 degrees max). An acetylene or mapp torch will melt it but it wont vaporize gold unless it is oxygenated. That wood fire didnt get anyhwere near hot enough to vaporize gold.

Pan the ashes just like the old timers did and you will find that gold.

LOL! Gold is a Noble Metal.

You can not get it hot enough to change states as in to another element.

It may Ionize and Find a new home but Gold It stays!

Gold it is.

Gold Does Not Oxidize.

Convert to any other elements.

This is why Gold is Gold.

It's said that all gold found on earth originated in the Big Bang.

I don't know for sure but I do Know that no one has figured out how to synthesize the stuff or make it from scratch.