Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab question

I am targeting Minelab owners for this question. I have been a Whites fan for a while but I am starting to question the capabilities of White detectors for nugget hunting. Although I love my G.M. 2 and MXT, I am starting to feel like I am walking over nuggets when detecting. I have been looking at the Minelab gold detector line up and ....how should I say it $$$$$..ouch. Here is the question. If you were out to buy a Minelab, which series would you recommend. I go out frequently 2-3 times per week and I am in an area that can produce small as well as very large nuggets. I know the new GPX 4500 must be an incredible machine, but the price tag is sky high and I am not willing to part with that much cashola. Are the earlier models worth buying? Thanks for any feed back. Good hunting !!

Those 4500's are pretty sweet but in my opinion if you take the time to really learn your detector and get it dialed in, you wont miss much. Sure the latest and greatest are more stable and might go a touch deeper but I can't tell you how many times my buddy with his old trusty GP extreme out hunts others swinging 4500's. Half of the game is just walking over it and the other half is knowing how to get the most outta what you're swingin. If you can afford the latest greatest then by all means get it and learn it. If you can't then get something and spend hours, days, weeks, months, years learning it. Hope i could help.

The cost - benefit question is very important to those who can not afford all the new bells and whistles every time a new model comes out. I still use my old clunkers -- the ever faithful vintage Goldbug 2 and the GP Extreme I bought back in 2002. For last month's Prospectors' Club of Southern California competition I found 38 pickers with the Bug2. In two trips out counting Fathers' Day I've already snagged 10 for the upcoming competition [2 of them larger ones with the GP]. All of these came off one of the PCSC club claims that has been hammered to death as much as any around. A friend of mine [Lucky Joe] uses the 4500 and a Bug2. He finds about as much as I do, sometimes more, sometimes less. Bottom line: If money is no object, then of course the newer technology should afford an advantage over the older technology. The older technology, however, still works. Especially if, like an old violin, you spend a lot of time with it and learn to listen to it talk to you. Makes mama happier too, when there is more of the paycheck left for the things she likes.

The cost - benefit question is very important to those who can not afford all the new bells and whistles every time a new model comes out. I still use my old clunkers -- the ever faithful vintage Goldbug 2 and the GP Extreme I bought back in 2002. For last month's Prospectors' Club of Southern California competition I found 38 pickers with the Bug2. In two trips out counting Fathers' Day I've already snagged 10 for the upcoming competition [2 of them larger ones with the GP]. All of these came off one of the PCSC club claims that has been hammered to death as much as any around. A friend of mine [Lucky Joe] uses the 4500 and a Bug2. He finds about as much as I do, sometimes more, sometimes less. Bottom line: If money is no object, then of course the newer technology should afford an advantage over the older technology. The older technology, however, still works. Especially if, like an old violin, you spend a lot of time with it and learn to listen to it talk to you. Makes mama happier too, when there is more of the paycheck left for the things she likes.

Thanks for the replys fellas. I have buried a 1 dwt nugget 4 inches and my MXT has a difficult time with it. I am wondering how deep can a Minelab detect a 1 dwt nugget? I found one 1.05 dwt the other day with the MXT and 5.3 coil, but it was only 2 inches deep. I buried the same nugget at around 5 inches and I had not known the nugget was their I probably would have walked over it. I know their is a place for my Whites, especially in trashy areas, but was wondering how deep can the Minelab go for a 1 pennyweight nugget.

A second hand 3000 and a small coil like a 14 elip is what you need. Just as deep and sensitive as the GPX's it's just that it doesn't have the modes for searching in noisier ground. Here in oz, that makes a difference, but if you can't afford a 4500 then get what you can afford. I can tell you, a 3000 with a 14" elip coiltek mono goes very deep even on .grammers. It's the porous nuggets they struggle on and anything less than .05 grams (with the 8"), although I'm not sure how good the 6" is. 10" elip dd in mono should be even more sens theoretically.

My GP Extreme, with the 14" elliptical mono, has found a one grammer at 14". The same unit equipped with an 8" Commander mono found a .9 grammer at 8" just this last Father's Day. My Bug2, with the 6.5" coil, found me a two pennyweighter at about 6 or 7". Others often report similar recoveries. Meanwhile, I have two jars full of lead shrapnel and birdshot that have been the price of admission to recovering the goldies. The ratio of lead to gold in the areas I most frequent runs between 7 and 14 to 1. I consider it a great day, and my knees thank me, when the ratio is around 3 to 1. Maybe you can borrow a friend's SD or GP to see how well it compares to your Whites.

I would also say GP3000, if you can find one they can go for $1500 today. There's one on eBay right now with one bid at that price. Craig's list had a GP Extreme on it for less just a few days ago, although I can't recall which city I saw it under.

The MXT is built with a prospecting mode in it but the nuggets have to be on the bigger side to be found, all detectors will find gold if the nugget is big enough. Your GM3 is 4 times the nugget machine of your MXT. If I was hunting leave the mxt at home and take the gm3 a very good and reliable detector.

As far as other older minelabs, they are all great gold machines as other posters have stated. Most all of my gold is found with a GB2 and 6" coil.

Allen

Thanks to you all for some great advice. It appears like the Minelab will be my choice because it will get the 1-3 dwt nuggets that are out of reach of my VLF. Although their will always be a place for my Whites I just hate the thought of walking over small nuggets that are out of reach. MicroNugget, good idea on comparing Minelab with my detector before I purchase. Bigrex and Big and Small, yea your probably right on the GP3000, it's cheaper but will work for me if I find one out their. Thanks to you all ! Good Hunting.

Never discount the venerable 2100--that is a nugget-finding gold hound, easy to learn, quick out of the gate, and with a healthy choice of coils it's a very solid, dignified gold producer.

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks for the replys fellas. I have buried a 1 dwt nugget 4 inches and my MXT has a difficult time with it. I am wondering how deep can a Minelab detect a 1 dwt nugget? I found one 1.05 dwt the other day with the MXT and 5.3 coil, but it was only 2 inches deep. I buried the same nugget at around 5 inches and I had not known the nugget was their I probably would have walked over it. I know their is a place for my Whites, especially in trashy areas, but was wondering how deep can the Minelab go for a 1 pennyweight nugget.

I don't know if this will help you make a decision or not, but I still have my first Minelab a GP 3500 and found a one dwt nugget at about nine inches deep with it and it wasn't a faint target. It didn't scream but it definately sounded off, no mistaking it.

post-1305-127831658126_thumb.jpg

Never discount the venerable 2100--that is a nugget-finding gold hound, easy to learn, quick out of the gate, and with a healthy choice of coils it's a very solid, dignified gold producer.

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny,

Yes, I'll be researching both the SD 2100v2 and the 2200 and the rest of the line up. I am pretty sure the 4500 is out. I am not looking for all the bells and whistles, just a powerful work horse that is easy to use and gets the little buggers down deep.

I'm confused... I thought I read on another forum thread that ML was discontinuing their SD2200v2. Yet, last night I picked up a magazine and ML ad shows they still sell the SD2200v2. As a mid-level machine is it a good one... anyone have thoughts about the ML SD2000v2?

Keep Smiling... :cigar:

2000 or 4500.... they all find gold! No finer gold gettin machines all of them!

Fritz, I owned a 2100v2 it was a fine machine. I have a friend that used an older SD2200 and found over $30,000 worth of nuggets.

ALL the Minelab P.I. machines are the best at chasin the yeller metal, slight improvements as you go up the line. Any of them will be worth the investment ...IF....

you get out regularly and use/learn its qualities.

As far as now and future production/service of any of their line I would contact the main office in Australia to get it from the horses mouth if you are so concerned don't rely on hearsay.

Hapy Huntn Frank C

New Guy--check out the Kelsey California gold post by Hangtown--that's what the 2100 can do for you too when you get it over the gold!

All the best,

Lanny