Nugget Shooter Forums

My trip to Buenos Aires

National Wildlife Refuge, that is.....

On Saturday my Blue Bowl queen and I went to Tucson to go shopping. With that all done, I asked her if she would like to take the long way home. Her always being the trooper she is, asked me, "what the heck you mean long way, Its hot out here". I explained our travel plans and she smiled, knowing that I had to go and see for myself. So she consented. We gassed up the truck on Valencia and drove on down the road, heading west to Highway 86.

My plan was to head out to highway 286 and go south. As it was pretty hot there was not much traffic on the road and we made pretty good time, turning on to 286, with the water bottles filled. We drive, looking off at Kitt Peak Observatory to our right (west) and all the burn marks along the road. The first Border Patrol check point is at Mile Marker 26. Anyone that has driven through one, will know that you have to start slowing down way in advance, all the way down to 25 mph, before they stop and ask you if you are an American Citizen.

Being a veteran of BP check points, this all I do with a smile, even though I do not think I have to pronounce my country of origin, in the country of my origin. Having to do this all the time, I wonder why the folks of Hispanic origin, make a big fuss about doing this and call it racist? After all, most of the time, its an Hispanic BP Agent that is asking me, if I am an American.....I'll leave you to think about that.

So back to the first check point, I slow down to the proscribed 25 mph, as another truck approaches from the south to do the same thing. There are 4 BP Agents there and they are all sitting under a small canopy about 25 ft from the road. I stop and none of them get up. They wave and go back to talking amongst themselves.

WAIT!.....um...what? Isn’t this the area that is a corridor to drug runners and illegal’s?

Why yes, yes it is and my Queen and I look at each other in amazement and start to drive off. Now I mentioned that another truck was coming from the south, we pulled off the road to watch. The BP agents did the exact same thing. Ah well, I guess they are at least being equal.

WAIT!.....the truck coming from the south had Mexico plates!

Yeah well, I guess that didn’t matter and everyone no matter what their country of origin, was able to just drive through and wave to the nice boys enjoying the shade that day. So shaking my head I drive on, thinking about a few choice words I would like to give to the powers that be. You know the ones like Napolitano, who says that the border has never been safer......?

As we continue on, we pass the first entrance to the Buenos Aires Refuge and the gate is wide open. There are no signs saying that part of the park is closed, there are no extra BP agents to warn about the nationally announced closing of the land. Nothing at all. I found this to be very strange, but decided to drive further south and go down to the Sasabe entrance.

Now anyone that has been to Sasabe, knows that it is the epitome of what an old border town looks and feels like. There is one dusty street, about 20 buildings (most of them boarded up) and no one on the street. Just before the town is the Border Patrol Detention Center #181. It has some grand 12 ft fencing with razor wire all around it and some really nice trucks all parked in a row around some sandy painted buildings. Its Purty.......

I jam on the breaks, realizing as I turn to the Queen, that they have closed American lands to Americans, less than 1 mile from a major BP detention center....what? Once again, next to this "closed land" there is no activity, there are no Spectre Gun ships, the BP commando's are not out protecting our very lives from the Jung Hoard....what the heck is NOT going on here???

Once again I move on and at the top of the hill, leading into the metropolis of Sasabe, there is a lone BP agent in his truck. I wave and move on into the town. We stopped at the Sasabe store and buy some more water (remember its HOT) and I start looking around for the signs that say this part of the Buenos Aires Park is closed. UM.....Nope nothing to be seen anywhere. I am at this point livid. I mean I do have the link back home of our Federal Government announcing that the border portion of the park was closed!

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/arizona/buenosaires/PDFs/Closure.pdf

I am at the southern most entrance to the Refuge, where the land that I served my country for, is off limits! But nothing once again, No signs, no BP agent to warn me off......nuttin'. So we get back in the truck and I say to myself, lets go interview the Lone BP agent we saw in the truck on the hill and ask him about this....So I pull up to him drivers door to drivers door, to ask......I sat there for about 2 minutes. Looking at him, turning to the Queen, looking at him, turning to the Queen.....HE IS FREAKIN' ASLEEP!!!!!!!

Asleep in an area that was closed to Americans, because it was too dangerous. Asleep while on watch to protect American Citizens from all the drug runners and armed lookouts that are threatening our way of life and our very lives down here on the border. My God...if i had a video camera, I could and would have posted it on YouTube and it would have gone viral....After fighting down the indescribable urge to blast my horn, I slowly drive off, going back north towards the Arivaca turn off. Yes shaking my head as I once again pass the open gate to the Refuge once again, you know the northern one with no signs posted and no extra BP....just like the southern one...

I turn off on Arivaca road and begin the drive to Elephant Head, my home. It’s about a 35 mile drive and yes, there is another BP check point just before you get to Amado. Once again I slow to the required 25 mph and low and behold there are agents there that actually want me to stop! He is a polite young man of Hispanic origin and he asks me if I am an American Citizen. I was tempted to answer him in Norwegian, but the Queen always gets upset when I screw with the agents, so I smiled (forced at this point) and say yes. He then asked me where I was coming from.

Well that opened up a bunch of questions from me, the main one being why didn’t I see any signs at either opening of the Buenos Aires Refuge about the closing??? He looked at me rather quizzically and said...Yeah you guessed it by now...."it's closed"?. I explained to the fine young BP agent, that is assigned to protect citizens such as myself, while he stands at a check point just north of the Buenos Aires Refuge, that this was all Nationally televised and announced by the very people he is employed by to protect said self....He stated that he didn’t know anything about it and waved me on. I drive the remaining 5 miles back home...in deep thought.

Now boys and girls, I know this may not seem to affect you and your life. 29'er would probably say that I was getting upset over something I shouldn’t be, as he used to say to my brother. But I cant help it. Being of sound mind and body (ok the body is debatable) I feel that this should upset everyone across the nation. Those of you that live in South Carolina or Wyoming or New York state or any place else...let me pose a question? How would you feel about your grand children, doing drugs, that the very BP agent asleep in his truck, let go by? How would you feel if one of your loved ones were in an accident with an illegal immigrant that was drunk and will only be deported...just to have him sneak back again for the 11th time, through the lands closed to Americans?

Illegal Immigrants and Drugs, go everywhere. This is not just a border issue. This is not just an illegal issue or just a drug issue. It is a Sovereignty issue, for the entire country. It is a safety issue for everyone I know. When is it ok, to worry less about walking up on a rattle snake, when I have my head phones on and more about being shot in the back, because I happen to be in the way of a drug run? The very drugs that are infecting, where YOU live.

This brings me to a couple of thoughts and then I will stop for now.

Arizona's new Immigration Law, was borne from the frustration that our Federal Government has not and will not follow the Constitution and do everything in its power to protect American citizens, under Article 4, Section 4 of the Constitution of the United States....right? The cost to Arizona in dealing with illegal’s, runs from HealthCare, Crime, Welfare programs, Education and a plethora of other items that is running Arizona and many other states into the ground, in a time when we just can not afford to do it.

So that being said, when do we as Americans, both individual and collective, take matters into our own hands, because our Government has failed and has refused to protect us, as the Constitution has been written? Will voting the current bums out of office and new bums into office, protect me, while I prospect? Will it take the illegal immigrants crime off American streets? At this point, I think not. At this point, how am I to believe anything that I have believed in my entire life, about how my country acts on my behalf?

There I said it. Our Government is like a dead beat Dad. It likes having us here, but just doesn’t want to own up to its responsibilities in taking care of us. Unlike a time, when if you lived in this country, you were always armed and ready to take care of you and yours....we just aren’t allowed to do that anymore. But you have to proclaim your citizenship to the very people that are in essence, refusing to protect you in the country you have grown up in, supported through taxes and served through either public or military service.

My opinion is that Rome isn’t burning, it’s burnt. While too many Nero’s have been playing the fiddle and worrying about where their next campaign contribution will come from or how many votes it will cost them to do one thing. That one thing is the Right Thing. Why can’t anyone just do the right thing anymore?

I tell you what HPS, I for one would've blown the horn, I'm mean in a sense we are his boss even though the Government doesn't seem to know this or see it this way!!! :*&$*(: :*&$*(:

Your post here should be sent to all of our so called representatives and with the insistence of them answering the questions you pose!!!

Skip

I tell you what HPS, I for one would've blown the horn, I'm mean in a sense we are his boss even though the Government doesn't seem to know this or see it this way!!! :*&$*(: :*&$*(:

Your post here should be sent to all of our so called representatives and with the insistence of them answering the questions you pose!!!

Skip

Skip this is the list I have sent this too, after I posted it here:

Sen McCain

Sen Kyl

Gov. Jan Brewer

Rep Raul Grijalva

Rep Gabriel Giffords

Nogales International

AZStar.net

Green Valley Sun

Greta Van Sustren

O'Rielly

Glenn Beck

Neil Cavuto

Megan Kelly

Listen, I really appreciate posting this, as I really only think what will come of this posting is me venting my frustration from Saturday. I will tell you this....I am going back next Saturday, with my camera. I will take pictures of all the areas I went to, including the open gates to the Refuge with no signs or BP present.

HPS,wow, thanks much for the great post and letting all of us know how safe we are.

this is really a huge eye opener and hopefully something will be done to correct

the problem but i am not holding my breath.pretty scarey to think that some of these

people just don't care enough to do their job and help protect us and our country.

good to hear that you did send copies to the one's on your list.

take care and be carefull out there. ron

....I am going back next Saturday, with my camera. I will take pictures of all the areas I went to, including the open gates to the Refuge with no signs or BP present.

After taking pictures, be sure to blow your horn if he is still sleeping!!! :thumbsupanim

Skip

Here's a man that has the answer on where to start cleaning up this mess:

Amen! :whoope: :wubu: - Terry

Sorry guys, thats a bit too Political for me. While I am Political in nature, I am only concerned with the safety of all of us, while in the border states. Immigration and illegal Drug running, has a direct affect on our passion called Prospecting. Besides, I dont that big meany Skip to delete my thread that I know we all feel so passionately about.

HPS

Thanks for the enlightening Post.. I see things have changed a bit since I left Az to come to Afghanistan, I know well of the roads that you are talking about because when I worked for ADEQ as a Underground Storage Tank inspector I saw a lot of that stuff first hand in the southern counties of AZ... And yeah I called the BP a number of times to report illegals running thru the desert...I sure hope that someone does something soon before it becomes old west justice out there, I was telling my wife last time I was home that is exactly why I carry my ole pistole with me when I go out prospecting...

Be safe and good luck out there

V/R

RANGERMG18

Tim

Great news....our guns are still ours to keep!!!!

High Court’s Big Ruling For Gun Rights

In its second major ruling on gun rights in three years, the Supreme Court Monday extended the federally protected right to keep and bear arms to all 50 states. The decision will be hailed by gun rights advocates and comes over the opposition of gun control groups, the city of Chicago and four justices.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the five justice majority saying "the right to keep and bear arms must be regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a prohibition that could be ignored so long as the States legislated in an evenhanded manner."

The ruling builds upon the Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller that invalidated the handgun ban in the nation's capital. More importantly, that decision held that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was a right the Founders specifically delegated to individuals. The justices affirmed that decision and extended its reach to the 50 states. Today's ruling also invalidates Chicago's handgun ban.

This is now on Foxnes....a long read and well worth it...

Glad to hear from you rangermg18....keep your buns safe and get home....

Two things I can't do without in life...a pocket knife and a pistol...I should'a been

from "cut and shoot, TX....

HPS

Thanks for the enlightening Post.. I see things have changed a bit since I left Az to come to Afghanistan, I know well of the roads that you are talking about because when I worked for ADEQ as a Underground Storage Tank inspector I saw a lot of that stuff first hand in the southern counties of AZ... And yeah I called the BP a number of times to report illegals running thru the desert...I sure hope that someone does something soon before it becomes old west justice out there, I was telling my wife last time I was home that is exactly why I carry my ole pistole with me when I go out prospecting...

Be safe and good luck out there

V/R

RANGERMG18

Tim

First off, God Bless you Ranger! I think nothing of the roads you and I know so well, compared to where you are now. I know that everyone on this forum and across America, hopes you and all the guys over there comes home safe and sound. I watch and think about you guys all the time. I cant thank you enough for your service.

Yeah I was carrying going out there and I wasnt even prospecting that trip. I'll be going back there with a camera this next time, but I dont want to say when, just in case someone is reading this post that doesnt want me to.

Be well Ranger, I would watch your back while prospecting anytime.

HPS, A great post and funny too!

One tidbit of info. Buenos Aires is closed by the folks that administer it...The U.S. Parks Service. The BP did not close it, they don't administer it, and they certainly are not going to run anyone off.

We all realize that departments of our US government do not communicate. We also realize that a bunch of what we are being told by our media is simply not true. I would sugest that this is why the BP didnt have a clue as to Buenos Aires adn how you witnessed a "disconnect" from what you had been told.

You need to visit an area of the border that is actually being guarded and is closed to smuggling. Let's go to the New Mexico border between El Paso and across to Playas. Homefire alluded to that area in his post. You will be proud to know that NO traffic makes it across this section of border unless they have paid their cuota.

The situation is too darn funny. The entire border is a Roadrunner and Coyote act. I saw a cartoon in the paper Sunday that featured a sleeping Federal officer.

HPS, A great post and funny too!

One tidbit of info. Buenos Aires is closed by the folks that administer it...The U.S. Parks Service. The BP did not close it, they don't administer it, and they certainly are not going to run anyone off.

We all realize that departments of our US government do not communicate. We also realize that a bunch of what we are being told by our media is simply not true. I would sugest that this is why the BP didnt have a clue as to Buenos Aires adn how you witnessed a "disconnect" from what you had been told.

You need to visit an area of the border that is actually being guarded and is closed to smuggling. Let's go to the New Mexico border between El Paso and across to Playas. Homefire alluded to that area in his post. You will be proud to know that NO traffic makes it across this section of border unless they have paid their cuota.

The situation is too darn funny. The entire border is a Roadrunner and Coyote act. I saw a cartoon in the paper Sunday that featured a sleeping Federal officer.

Bob I find the excuse of BP not knowing that part of the park was closed, to be incorrect. There is, as I stated before, a dentention center, connected to the refuge and less than 1/2 mile from the closed area. I never stated that BP closed the Refuge, only that BP did not know of it. After 9/11, our Federal Government promised massive communication, between agencies. I find it extremely hard to believe that part of our nations land, less than 1/2 mile from a major Border Patrol station, would not be made known to the Border Patrol. Also as the area is proclaimed to be a major corridor (the reason it was closed, too dangerous) Why was there no extra or sometimes no BP present when I drove right into the area?

While the U.S. Parks service may administer the Park, they do not administer immigration and smuggling, that would be BP and in the Buenos Aires Refuge.

I can no longer find anything funny about the border situation. I can not and will not subscribe to anything less than the belief that our nation has fallen down in protecting its Citizens. As far as the media teeling us "what is not true" I have attached the pdf on the closing a couple of times and the media I have watched only reported on the PDF announcement.

The one thing that does pain me, is that the border issues have been going on so long that the average American becomes rather immune to it all. Even though no matter where they live, it does affect them.

As far as visiting an area that is actually closed to smuggling?......I am hard pressed to find that, as the Nogales/Tucson corridor has litteraly exploded in both human and drug smuggling in the past couple of years. I am here. I see what see going on...I talk with BP and many many locals that live in this area. We all see and we are all of the same mind. Only sealing the border with troops will decrease and stop what is going on here. I present you with this thought. Perhaps the same media you are talking about, are not reporting what is really going on in this area.

People need to stop eating the pablum that the media and politicians are feeding them and come see for themselves. I also think that each state has its differences in not only how the border is being monitored, but how its being reported on.

Well perhaps this is the reason why the BP didnt know the park was closed....it apparently isnt.

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/arizona/buenosaires/

:hahaha: You gotta laugh! Crying does not help! :hahaha:

:hahaha: So tell me, was the closure misinformation, propoganda, or just a lie? :hahaha:

In the areas where the cartel owns the law the border truly is closed...to everyone who has not paid a cuota. You are NOT going to come across the border into New Mexico with illegals or drugs unless you have paid your share. So in this respect there is some control. Like I said, the CARTEL controls the border. Now, whether any federal officers or any US officials have any control over it on this side or not is a toss up.

I cant help it. It is a tragedy but our government and our people are a comedy of errors. It is a circus of lies, deceit, and mistakes. And the clowns swallowing all the lies are choking on them trying to eat them all up.

It is all a "Mestiso conspitracy" :hahaha:

Well here is the email that I sent asking Dan Shearer, the editor of the Green Valley News, and his response to me.

Chester Mosley to Dan

show details 10:32 AM (21 minutes ago)

I did read that. So let me ask your opinion then....

Do you think that the media is trying to sensationalize or add too the border issues we are experiencing down here?

Dan Shearer to me

show details 10:40 AM (14 minutes ago)

Off the top of my head, I'd say the media blew it on the Refuge closing. What actually happened was that additional warning signs went up in an area outside Casa Grande telling travelers not to pick up stray people because so many more illegal immigrants were in the area. For some reason, national media got turned toward the Refuge (probably from the 2006 closing) and went with that. State media knew the area in question was actually quite far from the border. It was a non-story, frankly.

However, as far as the media in general and border issues, I don't think the enormity of what's happening here can be overemphasized.

So it sounds like sensationalism to me.....

Dan Shearer to me

show details 11:12 AM (16 minutes ago)

Just heard that there's a press conf. at 12:15 today with Giffords and Terry Goddard on the new troops for the border. So some news is breaking on this.

Dan Shearer, editor

Green Valley News/The Sahuarita Sun

So tell me, was the closure misinformation, propoganda, or just a lie?

The closure was back in 2006. It just hit the news recently which is why alot of people thought that this area was just closed.

it has been opened for a while now. I guess if I was reading this forum I could of saved some one a trip.

The closure was back in 2006. It just hit the news recently which is why alot of people thought that this area was just closed.

it has been opened for a while now. I guess if I was reading this forum I could of saved some one a trip.

hehehe and miss the chance to see the BP agent sleeping on post?....not on your life.