Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello everybody,

I am from the Philippines and loves farming. I bought a 35 hectare farm in 1990 to satisfy my interest in agriculture. The property is bounded in the west by a river and hills in the north and east rising to about 400 meters average.

Ever since I bought the property, I occasionally see groups of 3 to 10 people gold panning in the river during summertime. I didn't pay attention to them at that time since my interest is to grow fruit trees and heard each group were recovering only 2 grams a day. Not really significant to catch any attention. Until I caught one of my farm helpers secretly tunneling the west part of the property that is hidden from view of farm visitors including me. One of the tunnels is 20 meters deep. The said farm help comes from a mining town and knows something about mining.

The farm helper and his entire family have been digging for almost a year already. The youngest is a 5 year old girl whose task is to fetch drinking water and food. I also found out they were able to buy their own house in the center of the town. Further investigation revealed they recover an average of 6 grams a day and sells it to a gold trader in the city 30 kilometers away.

With this revelation and my interest finally on the yellow metal, I asked experienced miners from the north to do some testing. After 4 days of exploration, they asked my permission to stay in the farm to do more searching. They claim their findings in very encouraging. They laid down their terms in case there are recoveries.

May I request suggestions from members what should be done in this situation? The farm is planted with 800 fully grown mango trees. However, the price of gold is soaring. I am just not so sure if they can really find gold in quantity sufficient enough to allow sacrifice of the fruit trees. Is it possible for them to look for gold without harming the trees? Is that possible with tunneling? Your comments will be very much appreciated by this newbie.

Dale, nice to hear from the Phillipines!

Half my family is Filipino as my father married a fellow countrywoman of yours many years ago and I have been there more than a few times. My filipino side is from the angeles city area.

From what I know about Mango trees, their root system runs rather deep to 15 feet. Please correct me if I am wrong. So tunneling under your trees, may prove hazardous to them. But it can be done. But not knowing whether you are in a basin or low valley area or not, I do worry about the monsoon rains and tunneling in that type of soil, without some very good structure work and pump drainage system.

I also do not know about the countries laws and you may need to check into whether you need to file a minerals claim, in order to have control over what you may find. When you inquire about the mineral rights of your country, please do it very seriptiously. That is to say, as long as man and gold has been around, a mans possessions are always coveted by others. It does sound like your area has been known for a while now, as you mentioned the people panning in the creek.

Mangyaring panatilihin sa touch ang aking mga bagong kaibigan, magiging interesante sa mga malaman kung paano mo gawin.

Maging Well and please forgive my poor translation. Its hard to remember after so many years.

Dale, nice to hear from the Phillipines!

Half my family is Filipino as my father married a fellow countrywoman of yours many years ago and I have been there more than a few times. My filipino side is from the angeles city area.

From what I know about Mango trees, their root system runs rather deep to 15 feet. Please correct me if I am wrong. So tunneling under your trees, may prove hazardous to them. But it can be done. But not knowing whether you are in a basin or low valley area or not, I do worry about the monsoon rains and tunneling in that type of soil, without some very good structure work and pump drainage system.

I also do not know about the countries laws and you may need to check into whether you need to file a minerals claim, in order to have control over what you may find. When you inquire about the mineral rights of your country, please do it very seriptiously. That is to say, as long as man and gold has been around, a mans possessions are always coveted by others. It does sound like your area has been known for a while now, as you mentioned the people panning in the creek.

Mangyaring panatilihin sa touch ang aking mga bagong kaibigan, magiging interesante sa mga malaman kung paano mo gawin.

Maging Well and please forgive my poor translation. Its hard to remember after so many years.

Happy surprise... :D

Thanks for the advice re filing of minerals claim. My lawyer is going to do that Monday. He suggested "small scale mining" operation permit. The Igorots that tested the area say the type of gold is about 22k. They further say base from the nuggets found by the farm helper and the locations of recoveries, etc etc... the source is right in my backyard and it is a blanket type source. I dont know what that means though. They want to start right away. Pls educate me on this. Are these guys pulling my leg. They want me to finance their recovery operation.

You are right, mango tree roots is about 15 feet deep. The top soil in my farm is loamy, 2 meters deep is solid rock. The miners call it "flooring".

Will a good detector help in this situation? I am thinking of using a good type detector rather than tunneling.

Your Pilipno is not bad, need just a little polishing. ;)

Happy surprise... :D

Thanks for the advice re filing of minerals claim. My lawyer is going to do that Monday. He suggested "small scale mining" operation permit. The Igorots that tested the area say the type of gold is about 22k. They further say base from the nuggets found by the farm helper and the locations of recoveries, etc etc... the source is right in my backyard and it is a blanket type source. I dont know what that means though. They want to start right away. Pls educate me on this. Are these guys pulling my leg. They want me to finance their recovery operation.

You are right, mango tree roots is about 15 feet deep. The top soil in my farm is loamy, 2 meters deep is solid rock. The miners call it "flooring".

Will a good detector help in this situation? I am thinking of using a good type detector rather than tunneling.

Your Pilipno is not bad, need just a little polishing. ;)

hehehe, "polishing"...you are being kind!

The Flooring as you say we call bedrock. I kind of knew you had a loamy top soil though as the humidity and rains would help keep it that way.

Now I am not a what we call Hard Rock miner, so your question about "blanket type", I will defer to others here with more experience. Be VERY careful about the finance part of the equation! If I where you, I would have some workers find enough gold, to help finance a small operation. That way you are not spending your own money or at least not financing the whole thing out of your own pocket.

My uncle there was a dentist there and by all standards a very wealthy man, back in the day. He would ALWAYS have his lawyer draw up legal papers any time he contracted anyone to do do anything for him or helped finance a venture. He was also Governor there for a time, until he was shot in the leg and decided to retire from Politics. I guess he just didnt want a Filipino haircut.....

I am sure others here on this forum will be able to help you more with the tunneling aspect though, there are some very smart old farts on here.....wait, I'm an old fart too....

hehehe, "polishing"...you are being kind!

The Flooring as you say we call bedrock. I kind of knew you had a loamy top soil though as the humidity and rains would help keep it that way.

Now I am not a what we call Hard Rock miner, so your question about "blanket type", I will defer to others here with more experience. Be VERY careful about the finance part of the equation! If I where you, I would have some workers find enough gold, to help finance a small operation. That way you are not spending your own money or at least not financing the whole thing out of your own pocket.

My uncle there was a dentist there and by all standards a very wealthy man, back in the day. He would ALWAYS have his lawyer draw up legal papers any time he contracted anyone to do do anything for him or helped finance a venture. He was also Governor there for a time, until he was shot in the leg and decided to retire from Politics. I guess he just didnt want a Filipino haircut.....

I am sure others here on this forum will be able to help you more with the tunneling aspect though, there are some very smart old farts on here.....wait, I'm an old fart too....

Are we not up so late?... what is your time there?

Nice to catch you up at this unholy hour.

You are right about the finance part... the Igorots proposed that I allow them to do panning in the river right besides the farm and the proceeds will finance their inland or tunneling exploration. As I mentioned, I am new to this so I honestly don't know what is a good or bad deal. Common sense is my guide right now. The proposed river panning seems practical as it entails no cost on my part except food and accommodation for 6 miners. plus simple mining equipment. :)

Next time you are here, give me a ring. I also do offroading with my samurai during weekends. So many scenic spots you will enjoy while offroading. I know a lot of peole in Angeles area. :)

Dale do not feel rushed it is your property,So the gold will not go anywhere,

You are new to gold so .you can not be niev.

They want you to fund the equipment.No way,

I would learn how to do it your self and keep it low profile/impact especially if anyone wants funding.You should be able to find some one to pay you ,But that will never be to your benifit,

If you are not watching your recovery,It will be shy, May be you could do a side thing and use simple technique.remember equipment /labor ,fuel,can removea lot of the so called profit,

If you need to work the aera find a small area that does the least amount of destrction, Gold will run out and it is not forever,So that said it would be a waste at the very least to destroy your love.{farming} or the trees.

Dale do not feel rushed it is your property,So the gold will not go anywhere,

You are new to gold so .you can not be niev.

They want you to fund the equipment.No way,

I would learn how to do it your self and keep it low profile/impact especially if anyone wants funding.You should be able to find some one to pay you ,But that will never be to your benifit,

If you are not watching your recovery,It will be shy, May be you could do a side thing and use simple technique.remember equipment /labor ,fuel,can removea lot of the so called profit,

If you need to work the aera find a small area that does the least amount of destrction, Gold will run out and it is not forever,So that said it would be a waste at the very least to destroy your love.{farming} or the trees.

thanks for the advice Denny. You have any idea on how should I go about recovering the yellow metal? As I mentioned I am new to this, I am posting some pics...

The farm helper's recovery the day I discovered their tunneling. I found the bottle where they were keeping the yellow metal and poured the contents in my palm... it nearly gave my farm help a heart attack.

the second pic is the opening of one of the tunnels they dug up and hurriedly covered when discovered.

the third pic, the simple tools they were using.

post-23658-127770302752_thumb.jpg

post-23658-127770334959_thumb.jpg

post-23658-127770342006_thumb.jpg

The farm helper's recovery the day I discovered their tunneling. I found the bottle where they were keeping the yellow metal and poured the contents in my palm... it nearly gave my farm help a heart attack.

the second pic is the opening of one of the tunnels they dug up and hurriedly covered when discovered.

the third pic, the simple tools they were using.

Dale,

Can you get any pictures any pictures of the flooring (aka bedrock)? Also can you get a picture of the tunnels, there walls and floor. This will help some of use help you to indentify the type of material the gold is carrying in or being found in.

Bob

Dale,

Can you get any pictures any pictures of the flooring (aka bedrock)? Also can you get a picture of the tunnels, there walls and floor. This will help some of use help you to indentify the type of material the gold is carrying in or being found in.

Bob

I will take pictures of the bedrock, but pictures of the tunnels is not possible at this time because the last time I had them checked they are flooded. We tried pumping them out but water keeps sipping in.

It may take at least 4 days before I can post the pictures because I am not scheduled to go back there in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, I am posting some pictures that show exposed bedrock... I hope this will help.

Take note of the exposed bedrock in the upper part of the pictures, that is the same bedrock that can be found on the flooring.

post-23658-127771198157_thumb.jpg

post-23658-127771203962_thumb.jpg

post-23658-127771206984_thumb.jpg

A close up of a rock sample that shows the texture and makeup of the bedrock would be good for identification purposes, that looks like some pure gold.

Boy that gold has a good color to it.,I would use pumps and a sluice box.Even a gold screw if you had the monies for one,,You can make your own box,was the second picture a hole that caved in or just a bank?It is od that they would leave the gold,

Boy that gold has a good color to it.,I would use pumps and a sluice box.Even a gold screw if you had the monies for one,,You can make your own box,was the second picture a hole that caved in or just a bank?It is od that they would leave the gold,

That is one of the tunnels the farm helper dug up. they hurriedly covered the opening when they got caught.

I am planning to use sluice box, highbanker and a metal detector. Can you pls recommend good models that are not so pricey?

Dale...when does the river have more water in it and what is the normal depth of the gravel

down to bedrock in the river?...if you ever have three feet or more of water flowing then

you could use a combination highbanker/dredge either 5" or 6"...clean out as much of the

river as possible then tackle the dirt banks where the tunnel(s)are....a highbanker/dredge

combination would produce you a lot of gold but they are expensive....by no means let any

body else run your operation...if your not there full time other people will rob you

blind....when it comes to gold don't even trust yourself!!!!

Dale,

I would also work the stream first, I agree that a highbanker combo would be the best choice because of the lack of deeper water, I would recommend a Proline because they are more stoutly built than other brands, but they are not cheap, you could build one more cheaply and any good irrigation type pump with around 200 GPM capacity with the highest PSI you can find would get you started.

If you could get down to bedrock in that stream and move a lot of material you should recover a good amount of gold, if you are able to get down to bedrock be sure to break open any cracks and crevices as that is where you will find gold hiding and use the suction nozzle of the combo to help get all the material as you scrap it out of the cracks and using a blaster nozzle will help as well, also if you find any decomposing quartz break that up as well with a hammer and chisel and run it through the sluice, any hardpacked gravel should be broken up and run through your sluice box, a "blaster nozzle" (a small hose with a high pressure nozzle coming off the high pressure side of your pump via a "Y" fitting/splitter) will help with breaking the hardpacked gravel up, this material needs to be sucked up with the combo's suction nozzle.

Check any larger quartz pieces for gold seams/veins, and if you find any crush the quartz and run the material through a sluice, gold in quartz will most often be deposited along the "contact zone" this is where the quartz and the common rock of the area come in contact with each other.

Is there any geological data for your land/area on file with your government that you can get access too, it would help with knowing what type of deposits and bedrock you would be dealing with?

Skip

Hello everybody,

I am from the Philippines and loves farming. I bought a 35 hectare farm in 1990 to satisfy my interest in agriculture. The property is bounded in the west by a river and hills in the north and east rising to about 400 meters average.

Ever since I bought the property, I occasionally see groups of 3 to 10 people gold panning in the river during summertime. I didn't pay attention to them at that time since my interest is to grow fruit trees and heard each group were recovering only 2 grams a day. Not really significant to catch any attention. Until I caught one of my farm helpers secretly tunneling the west part of the property that is hidden from view of farm visitors including me. One of the tunnels is 20 meters deep. The said farm help comes from a mining town and knows something about mining.

The farm helper and his entire family have been digging for almost a year already. The youngest is a 5 year old girl whose task is to fetch drinking water and food. I also found out they were able to buy their own house in the center of the town. Further investigation revealed they recover an average of 6 grams a day and sells it to a gold trader in the city 30 kilometers away.

With this revelation and my interest finally on the yellow metal, I asked experienced miners from the north to do some testing. After 4 days of exploration, they asked my permission to stay in the farm to do more searching. They claim their findings in very encouraging. They laid down their terms in case there are recoveries.

May I request suggestions from members what should be done in this situation? The farm is planted with 800 fully grown mango trees. However, the price of gold is soaring. I am just not so sure if they can really find gold in quantity sufficient enough to allow sacrifice of the fruit trees. Is it possible for them to look for gold without harming the trees? Is that possible with tunneling? Your comments will be very much appreciated by this newbie.

Dale, You have every prospector's dream. Gold in your own back yard. Take your time and enjoy what you have. Silver Dog

Dale,

Before you can get an idea of what way to go with your mango grove, you are going to have to make a estimated comparison of what the profit is going to be from the production of 800 mango trees, for the productive life of the grove, and what the annual net production will be from a full scale mining operation to extract the gold values from the same piece of ground.

I don't know, but maybe you should focus on the gravel operation in the stream. If you do, you should check into the boundary rights of the property owner. Next, what are the laws regarding mineral rights in general and regarding property owners in specific?

The last thing I want emphasis is that, in areas where gold is recovered in the Philippines, there has already been a lack of government safety measures to control pollution of the environment. The biggest threat is the indiscriminate use of mercury in the extraction process of gold. For this reason, I strongly suggest you should have the water in your stream tested for the prescience of heavy metals.

Dean

Dale...when does the river have more water in it and what is the normal depth of the gravel

down to bedrock in the river?...if you ever have three feet or more of water flowing then

you could use a combination highbanker/dredge either 5" or 6"...clean out as much of the

river as possible then tackle the dirt banks where the tunnel(s)are....a highbanker/dredge

combination would produce you a lot of gold but they are expensive....by no means let any

body else run your operation...if your not there full time other people will rob you

blind....when it comes to gold don't even trust yourself!!!!

During summer, the water is barely a foot high. Rainy days brings a lot of water in the river, average of 4 feet deep and with strong current. After storms, the water is 6 to 8 feet deep and with VERY strong current. The gravel is about 3 to 5 feet deep down to the bedrock

Would your suggested combo highbanker/dredge either 5" or 6" be appropriate for this condition?

Dale,

I would also work the stream first, I agree that a highbanker combo would be the best choice because of the lack of deeper water, I would recommend a Proline because they are more stoutly built than other brands, but they are not cheap, you could build one more cheaply and any good irrigation type pump with around 200 GPM capacity with the highest PSI you can find would get you started.

If you could get down to bedrock in that stream and move a lot of material you should recover a good amount of gold, if you are able to get down to bedrock be sure to break open any cracks and crevices as that is where you will find gold hiding and use the suction nozzle of the combo to help get all the material as you scrap it out of the cracks and using a blaster nozzle will help as well, also if you find any decomposing quartz break that up as well with a hammer and chisel and run it through the sluice, any hardpacked gravel should be broken up and run through your sluice box, a "blaster nozzle" (a small hose with a high pressure nozzle coming off the high pressure side of your pump via a "Y" fitting/splitter) will help with breaking the hardpacked gravel up, this material needs to be sucked up with the combo's suction nozzle.

Check any larger quartz pieces for gold seams/veins, and if you find any crush the quartz and run the material through a sluice, gold in quartz will most often be deposited along the "contact zone" this is where the quartz and the common rock of the area come in contact with each other.

Is there any geological data for your land/area on file with your government that you can get access too, it would help with knowing what type of deposits and bedrock you would be dealing with?

Skip

very helpful, thanks a lot bro.

I can have a highbanker combo fabricated here if only I can get a good design. In this country, there are many very good fabricators. would you be kind enough to direct me where I can get a good design of a highbanker combo?

Dale,

Give me a day or two and I will see if I can find some plans or diagrams of a typical highbanker combo, if I can't find anything maybe I can do a simple drawing for you or maybe some pictures of an actual Proline highbanker combo.

You maybe be able to find something on YouTube in the meantime.

Skip

Dale,

Give me a day or two and I will see if I can find some plans or diagrams of a typical highbanker combo, if I can't find anything maybe I can do a simple drawing for you or maybe some pictures of an actual Proline highbanker combo.

You maybe be able to find something on YouTube in the meantime.

Skip

Very much appreciated Skip. Being a newbie, I really need all the help I can get.

The river in my place is barely a foot deep during summer, but water rises 5 to 7 feet during rainy days with very strong current. The yellow metal can be found in the river and inside the farm. My farm help recovered more from the farm than in the river by tunneling from the riverbank inland. The farm topography is hilly. Top soil is loamy, but one to two meters deep is bedrockwith lots of gravel.

I hope you can help me get suitable equipment for this condition.