Nugget Shooter Forums

Mysterious Metallic Object

Hello forum,

I've been doing quite a bit of research trying to find out just what in the world this thing could be, but all I have managed to do is come up with some theories, and nothing more.

First, I'd like to provide some info about the object.

The object weighs in at 1.9 grams, and is shaped like a jellybean due to what appears to be some sort of ablation that has broken or melted a piece off of it. It makes my Gold Master II detector scream! I get a signal with it comparable to signals I get with iron meteorites. When I use the iron I.D. on my detector, it gives me a "no iron" reading.

The strong signal I get with my detector makes me want to believe that this object is metallic. As I stated above, it is very lightweight for its size, which would rule out it being lead. I have an iron bead from Gold Basin that is less than half the size of the object, and it weighs the same. The object is non-magnetic. Even three rare earth magnets stacked together have no effect on the object.

My guess, based on the physical characteristics of it, are that it's some sort of lightweight metal such as titanium. This object is very solid, and doesn't bend, break, or dent with any pressure like aluminum would.

Also, of interesting note, I did some research on the flight path of the Space Shuttle Columbia when it broke up during re-entry. Interestingly enough, the flight path was pretty much above where I found this. Coincidence? Probably. But, who knows?

And, finally, here are some photos of the object:

mysteriousobject-top.jpg

mysteriousobject-bottom.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions on what this could be are greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading and looking,

Jason B)

Neat find Jayson, I'd like to see that next time we get out together.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some possible info on it.

The first pic with the flash hitting it gives it an "EERRIIEE" look.

Hi Frank! Yeah, I'll bring it next time we meet up! Maybe it's something Uncle Marvin will recognize from his home planet. :yuk-yuk:

Did you do a streak test on it?

http://geology.csupomona.edu/alert/mineral/streak.htm

Steve

Steve,

Yes, I did do a streak test on it, and it gave me a very dark gray, almost black streak. This supports my theory that this thing is some sort of melted titanium or alloy, thereof.

Thanks for both of your guy's input! :thumbsupanim

Jason

Hi Steve,

I haven't hit it with a hammer (don't want to damage it too much). I have, however, done a hardness test on it. I was able to scratch it a 4d common nail, which has a hardness of about 5.5 on the Moh's scale.

Titanium has a hardness of 6. I understand that alloys of titanium (especially material that have been melted) can be softer than a 5.5. But I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for your help,

Jason

I have no idea what it is but it is definitely NOT a piece of the Columbia. I have found over a ton of that wreck and nothing I have found resembles a melted glob of metal at all.

The titanium pieces will be thin, and very "blued" looking. You will always see the shape in them and never are they heavy or "thick". Most of the craft was carbon fiber and plastic with very little metal to speak of. All the titanium hardware was machined very thin. The only "globs" will be stainless steel fittings and fuel/oxidizer hardware which were the only solid pieces on that bird. All of that stuff retained its original shape pretty much and probably wont be amorphous blobs of metal.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your post! Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be a piece of the shuttle. Just a pretty improbably theory I came up with. :yuk-yuk:

The mystery continues...

Jason