Nugget Shooter Forums

SD 2100 sounds

Guest Gripper

Guest Gripper

Okay,

So I have been running my green SD2100 for a few months now, and I am seeing a pattern. Bigger iron: threshold gets pulled down, resulting in a ooo-wee signal. I am not speaking of a faint ooo-wee either. My question being, has anyone recovered gold after getting this signal? Gold is always a wee-ooo for me. I continue to dig all targets, even though this particular sound only produces another piece of rusty trash for my pocket, and costs swinging time. Gold has never sounded like this at all for me. Maybe once it will be large gold deep? Here is my take on sounds/tones:

dramatic ooo-wee: bigger iron

weep-weep (quick like): smaller iron (usually a boot tack or nail, you know, the two barbell shaped magnetic fields)

WEEEEE-OOO: cha ching, gold (but usually a lead bullet)

Should I start walking over the two signals that so far always result in iron (not once gold), or should I keep digging these? I feel like a martyr digging all of these signals that I "know" are iron.

Thanks for your input.

Brian

You are recognizing the sounds well. The way I see it, is if I am in a gold producing patch or close to one, I will dig'm all. If I am out looking for a new patch I will usually dig the sweeter or odd sounds.... just my twocents[1].gif

Brian; I have no experience with the 2100...I have had the 2000,2200, gp extreme and currently the 3500. When i am using my machine enough I can usually discern that a target is most likely iron...however, I have dug those signals and then been ever so surprised that the iron was actually gold. I am a firm believer in dig it all "cause you don't know for certain 'til you see it in your hand. That being said, if you don't mind knowing you will pass over some gold, leave it for the next guy...all it takes is one real nice thumper to make up for a load of wasted iron digs...

Now, using a dd and descriminate is always a calculated operation but in real junky areas the time vrs effort may be more profitable.

Fred

Guest Gripper

Thanks' for your replies Gentlemen,

I hear you. Our targets reflect the variations in life (which can be deep, no pun intended). My buddy today with his Whites told me it was a gold signal (some numbers on a display I guess were exciting) but it sounded like iron to me with my sd2100. Anyway it was iron so I felt good (self esteem was up for about 5 seconds). Then I dug a ton of nails that sounded like nails (cool). Okay, so it seems like a game of experience, I'll be patient.

Onto a recent story, listen to this, my other buddy with little experience (same as me) and a Eureka Gold (?!) picked up a 1/2oz gold/quartz nugg followed by a 1+oz gold/quartz nugg, within 50' of each other on tailing piles, just the other day. And thats with the (noisy) detector that he almost threw in the creek about a hundred times. Well there you go....

Brian

Gripper, DIG ALL REVERSE SIGNAL TARGETS. There is a forum member on here that did an article for a gold magazine that explains that all of his BIG DEEP nuggets were reverse ooooweeee signals. It almost sounds like HOT ground. I have been able to confirm this with my machine recently. But dig all reverse signals, you never know when you leave one of them in the ground what you might be leaving behind.

Good luck, Dan

In the spring of 2009 my wife and I were detecting in a So Cal wash that had been hit by hundreds of detectorists over the years, but still had plenty of trash targets. While I went up the wash Donna concentrated on a short stretch of the bank and spent about 2 hours digging trash. When I returned she was having trouble pinpointing a loud, reverse, overload type target. It turned out to be another large iron piece of trash. She then told me she had another similar sounding target she had given up on a couple of feet away. I took her 2100 to find it again and she asked, would gold sound like that? Only half believing it myself, I told her, If it was big enough it would. she had cleaned off about 5 inhces of overburden leaving just enough material to make it hard to see the bedrock. Scratching around with the tip of the pick I found a small crevice and cleaning it out revealed a 1.2 oz nugget. Dig them all.

Guest Gripper

Wow, excellent responses! (my eyes are opened)

I appreciate your input fellas, it's all about shortening the learning curve as much as possible. Nugget109, I read that article in the ICMJ (which is the only thing I look forward to getting in the mail) about, something like "hot ground or large nugget deep". That article got me thinking. It's easy to find an excuse to not dig a signal, especially after finding some gold with only one sound and technique. Thanks for your time Gentlemen.

I'll be the guy diggin'

Brian

It does not matter what sound your unit makes. Dig it all. The coil you have makes a lot of difference between what is a "wee-woo" and what is a "woo-wee".

I have always used an all metal machine to detect whether it was for treasure, meteorites or gold. Since an all metal machine really cant discriminate or discern between targets you should not either.

My 2100 will alternate between "wee-woo" and "woo-wee" on iron targets from day to day for no apparent reason. Some days it is "woo-wee" no matter how small the target. the next day the very same target that gave a "woo-wee" is now a "wee-woo" Go figure. The PI is a fickle beast and ther eis no telling from one minute to the next what it is going to say to you.

Dig it all. Always.