Nugget Shooter Forums

More about protection ...

Jim Gilmore

I got this in my mail today and it made me wonder if I need a gun or ?

Subject: Wasp Spray

I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!

Yeah all thats pretty neat, but I like my Louisville Slugger in the bedroom along with my 3 foot Legitimus Collins, and last but not least if theres no other alternative I dial .357 an wait to see if theres an answer. :inocent:

Yeah all thats pretty neat, but I like my Louisville Slugger in the bedroom along with my 3 foot Legitimus Collins, and last but not least if theres no other alternative I dial .357 an wait to see if theres an answer. :inocent:

:hahaha: :hahaha:

Less dialing for .44, and I always get an immediate responce. :brows:

Will wasp spray work on a Griz? :whaaaa:

My girlfriend is a bartender and has to close alone at 2am. We are in California so concealed permits are impossible to get unless you are law enforcement or a politician. She also does not want to risk carrying and then loosing her right to posses a firearm in the future.....so, what I did get her was a large can of bear spray. That stuff looks like a small fire extinguisher and also has a very long range. It says "not for use on humans" so you can just say that you carry it for dogs or animals and then of course when you need it just use it. She would keep it in one hand while walking to her car at night.

What's the expression "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"?

I wouldn't trust her life to wasp spray unless I knew 100 percent that it wasn't some Internet myth and that it would knock someone down....

My link

I had bear spray(at $ 45 per can), gave it to my mining buddy who encounters bears. The bear ate him anyway!

I had a .38 pistol, but sold it cause I needed $$. Then I got mugged, and the money stolen!

QUESTION: What would wasp spray do to a bear? I think it could really pizz him off!

How about a rattler?

I dont think there is any better protection than a heater!

I had bear spray(at $ 45 per can), gave it to my mining buddy who encounters bears. The bear ate him anyway!

I had a .38 pistol, but sold it cause I needed $$. Then I got mugged, and the money stolen!

QUESTION: What would wasp spray do to a bear? I think it could really pizz him off!

How about a rattler?

I dont think there is any better protection than a heater!

They say it will kill snakes, so unless a rattler is a medicine man I think it is supposed to kill him. And the stuff in wasp/hornet spray is pretty noxious. So if getting pepper spray is in the face I'd say the wasp spray will be pretty bad too.,

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have to look at the scientific data behind this.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/pyrethrins.pdf

I read elsewhere that it is as effective at making it hard to see (not blind) for a period of time due to the irritation of mucous membranes. However, the big difference is in range, right?

Not really... A can of wasp spray is good to about 15 feet, beyond that and it's getting too spread out and low to be effective (12 oz can). A regular can of pepper spray went to about 12 feet effective range and was still in a good solid stream (2 oz can). Take a 1 lb can of pepper spray and you get a 20 foot effective range and a nice tight stream.

Add one last thing... the label. On every can it has a Federal warning lable stating that it is against Federal Law to use the product in a manner other than as directed by the label.

The above was found in a news article with an unscientific test of the three cans.

So, I'd rather carry a small can and only need to deal with explaining the self defense than carrying a larger can and answering to the Feds.

The way the two work is entirely different...

OC spray (pepper spray) has an active ingredient called capsicum which is derived from red chili peppers; hence it's name. It irritates the mucous membranes in the target and causes breathing issues, tearing and swelling. Since it is an oil, the body's mucous cannot easily get rid of it.

Pyrethrins (wasp spray) are derived from crysanthimums and cause a nueral transmission potential action by causing nerves to misfire... in insects. In humans it acts much the same as OC spray, but can cause a bad reaction to asthmatics or those with breathing troubles (OC spray can, too, but less often). Additionally, someone with a sensitivity to the chemical can have a very bad reaction on the skin and mucous membranes that could be fatal, but this is highly unlikely. The nueral transmitter action doesn't occur in humans as far as I could find information about it since it isn't absorbed through the skin as easily as insects absorb it.

rolleye0012[1].gif

Unfortunately, I have to look at the scientific data behind this.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/pyrethrins.pdf

I read elsewhere that it is as effective at making it hard to see (not blind) for a period of time due to the irritation of mucous membranes. However, the big difference is in range, right?

Not really... A can of wasp spray is good to about 15 feet, beyond that and it's getting too spread out and low to be effective (12 oz can). A regular can of pepper spray went to about 12 feet effective range and was still in a good solid stream (2 oz can). Take a 1 lb can of pepper spray and you get a 20 foot effective range and a nice tight stream.

Add one last thing... the label. On every can it has a Federal warning lable stating that it is against Federal Law to use the product in a manner other than as directed by the label.

The above was found in a news article with an unscientific test of the three cans.

So, I'd rather carry a small can and only need to deal with explaining the self defense than carrying a larger can and answering to the Feds.

The way the two work is entirely different...

OC spray (pepper spray) has an active ingredient called capsicum which is derived from red chili peppers; hence it's name. It irritates the mucous membranes in the target and causes breathing issues, tearing and swelling. Since it is an oil, the body's mucous cannot easily get rid of it.

Pyrethrins (wasp spray) are derived from crysanthimums and cause a nueral transmission potential action by causing nerves to misfire... in insects. In humans it acts much the same as OC spray, but can cause a bad reaction to asthmatics or those with breathing troubles (OC spray can, too, but less often). Additionally, someone with a sensitivity to the chemical can have a very bad reaction on the skin and mucous membranes that could be fatal, but this is highly unlikely. The nueral transmitter action doesn't occur in humans as far as I could find information about it since it isn't absorbed through the skin as easily as insects absorb it.

rolleye0012[1].gif

I'm a bit confused here. Your comparing the use of the item in question and kind of qualifying it in an odd way. Were talking about personal protection and worring about it's effect? Wasp spray vs say a .22. on the bedstand ? The wasp spray is no good because the recepiant might have a bad reaction,vs the .22 might just cause lead poisioning?

personally if my life were in danger I'm using whatever is at hand. I have sprayed wasp spray straight up at nest 25 feet off the ground. They do work for their intended use.

I confused more by your statement" I have to go be the scientifc data"

[above is the results of an unscientific test].

So how does a non-scientific test result in scientific data?

That is in fact one of the main problems with the internet. That data and data sources are often misused to prove points that the data cannot support.

Is hitting a person in the head with a baseball bat not the same as using wasp sprays as a personal saftey device for self defense. Surely the babeball bat is not being used in the manner for which it is used and there for a federal crime? With the exception that the federal requirement for the wasp spray is most likely a requirement of epa or fda or dept of agri.

I'm a bit confused here. Your comparing the use of the item in question and kind of qualifying it in an odd way. Were talking about personal protection and worrying about it's effect? Wasp spray vs say a .22. on the bed stand ? The wasp spray is no good because the recipient might have a bad reaction,vs the .22 might just cause lead poisoning?

personally if my life were in danger I'm using whatever is at hand. I have sprayed wasp spray straight up at nest 25 feet off the ground. They do work for their intended use.

I confused more by your statement" I have to go be the scientific data"

That is in fact one of the main problems with the internet. That data and data sources are often misused to prove points that the data cannot support.

Is hitting a person in the head with a baseball bat not the same as using wasp sprays as a personal safety device for self defense. Surely the baseball bat is not being used in the manner for which it is used and there for a federal crime? With the exception that the federal requirement for the wasp spray is most likely a requirement of epa or fda or dept of agri.

I have heard the same about the wasp spray and I think it would work fine, as far as using it for other than it intended use, hey if I or any member of my family is about to get assaulted/robbed I/we will use anything at hand, I don't care what it is, if it give us the upper hand even for a few moments it will be used along with any other makeshift weapon of self-defense, we will use them all and repeatedly :zapped: :zapped: until the thread is no longer a concern or we can escape!!! :olddude::olddude:

As far as explaining to the cops :eee: :eee: "it was us or them and we grabbed anything we could put our hands on!! :*&$*(: :*&$*(: , we were scared :whaaaa: :whaaaa:, and in fear of our lives!!"

Skip

Skip I don't think any cop would question the legality of using a can of spray period...

as long as you the intended victim came out the winner and you presented no danger to the

public or the police officers on the scene....as for the far left and the ACLU that's a

different matter....the last I heard a .22-.38-.357-.45 are all skin absorbent!!!!

I'm a bit confused here. Your comparing the use of the item in question and kind of qualifying it in an odd way. Were talking about personal protection and worring about it's effect? Wasp spray vs say a .22. on the bedstand ? The wasp spray is no good because the recepiant might have a bad reaction,vs the .22 might just cause lead poisioning?

I confused more by your statement" I have to go be the scientifc data"

Is hitting a person in the head with a baseball bat not the same as using wasp sprays as a personal saftey device for self defense. Surely the babeball bat is not being used in the manner for which it is used and there for a federal crime? With the exception that the federal requirement for the wasp spray is most likely a requirement of epa or fda or dept of agri.

First off, I would also use anything within reach to protect me or mine, period. There is no such thing as a fair fight, unless you're getting paid to do it.

With that out of the way, the statement was "I have to look at the scientific data behind this" meaning looking at the mechanism of how wasp spray works and how it could affect humans. To that end, I provided a link to a report from the National Pesticide Information Center.

Later, when referring to the "unscientific test" I relied on an account of spray pattern and distance as seen by a reporter discussing the question at hand... use of wasp spray against an attacker/intruder instead of mace or OC spray.

Finally, in mentioning the labeling on the can, it is just that, the label. I've never seen warning labels on a bat, especially those threatening of Federal action if used improperly. Do normal, alw abiding people obey claim boundaries because it's Federal Law even though it may limit their poke's weight? Or do they just claim jump to get to more/bigger/purer gold?

I know how I would answer that under normal circumstances :)

First off, I would also use anything within reach to protect me or mine, period. There is no such thing as a fair fight, unless you're getting paid to do it.

With that out of the way, the statement was "I have to look at the scientific data behind this" meaning looking at the mechanism of how wasp spray works and how it could affect humans. To that end, I provided a link to a report from the National Pesticide Information Center.

Later, when referring to the "unscientific test" I relied on an account of spray pattern and distance as seen by a reporter discussing the question at hand... use of wasp spray against an attacker/intruder instead of mace or OC spray.

Finally, in mentioning the labeling on the can, it is just that, the label. I've never seen warning labels on a bat, especially those threatening of Federal action if used improperly. Do normal, alw abiding people obey claim boundaries because it's Federal Law even though it may limit their poke's weight? Or do they just claim jump to get to more/bigger/purer gold?

I know how I would answer that under normal circumstances :)

I will say that I know most that join clubs so they have claims in an area that is close to where ever they wish to point their coil, weather it be on the claim or a tad over the line. I did not say all.

I myself joined so I have a claim to park my rv on and drywash.

As for a bat having a warning label i think they have been lucky by comparison to other products[ that have been forced by the legal ambulance chasers] whom have to include information such as with a portable iron. Must not use on clothes you are wearing, must not use while in the shower, must not... on and on. To think that lawyers have not been shot by judges or the rest of us for sueing in the name of idgets that have brought the national IQ down to the level of an idget(idiot).

I really think when somebody brought such a case to court they should have been made to demonstrate what they did.

Uhm really your honor I was standing like this and took the iron and proceeded to go along the crease on my pants. It didn't seem too hot at first. ..And the judge shoulh just make him repeat showing him how long he held it there till it dawns on him that doing so iis stupid or that he just is dead...... After all stupid is as stupid does.