Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi Guys-

I was reading an old "fact" book published back in the late 70's and I don't know if it's true or not as I have never heard about this one before. In it , it states "Twenty four karat gold is not pure gold. There is a small amount of copper in it. Absolutely pure gold is so soft it can be molded with the hands."

While I agree 24 kt gold might contain some very minor copper, I find it hard to believe that absolutely pure gold can be molded with your hands. :hmmmmm: :shrug:

Anyone ever hear this before?

Steve

Myth vs fact. Yes 999 is mallable in thin portions but even thick as a coin(which is what gold coins are)you have 1 LL of a time bending it with your hands. Exageration to sell books that create old wives tales. The old boyz did bite BUT your teeth have ungodly leverage can tear the LL outta lotza stuff. 0.001% copper is ZIP-NATHA-NOTHING-John :stupidrb:

0.001% copper is ZIP-NATHA-NOTHING-John :stupidrb:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. I do know super pure elements and compounds can often have surprising properties. The only question is - is gold one of them...

So yes that .001 copper could make a big difference.

Steve

Your old fact book is not factual. 24 karat gold IS pure. That is the definition of "pure" gold for all practical purposes. It can be dented with your teeth but not "molded with your hands". Molded would imply changing the shape of something. Pure gold can certainly not be "molded" by hand.

Dented with a fingernail? Maybe, if you have strong thick nails. Dented with a tooth? Yes. There are testers for gold that employ wires of different alloy and you scratch the gold with them to determine the approximate hardness. You are not going to find an appreciable difference in hardness past about .950.

1/1000'th copper alloy in gold is just like JHO said...not enough to alter the properties of the metal at all.

You can bend a pure gold coin if you stick it in a crack and lean on it heavily with your weight. You can bend a pure gold ring easily by gripping a hammer handle. But a blob of pure gold can not be "molded" by hand.

Your book is simply NOT factuial information.

I thought I found me a good bar bet!!! :shrug: :shrug:

Steve

If by by molded by hand you mean bent and formed like putty. NO! If you mean bent by hand yes, If you mean I can put the edge in a crack and puch by hand. But really that's using you hand as a simpl tool and the crack as a vise.

It all depends on how you mean molded.

Some elements go through extreem changes at different levels but I doubt that the loss of .001 impuritirs would cause gold to luiqify at hand temp.

24K is by definition for the jewelry trade as any gold that is .995 or finer. That is far from pure gold. The most pure coinage is .9999 and are only made by a very few mints (Canada being one). Believe me, they are very hard to bend by hand......... A customer wanted me to make a ring from .95 gold against my advice. I made the shank very thick and it would still bend like copper wire...........