Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Gilmore

Gun for snakes ?

I love my Black Widow.... bought it 15 years ago and it sits nicely in my pocket when I feel the need..... the birdshot rounds will certainly kill a legless snake and blind a two legged one........

I love my Black Widow.... bought it 15 years ago and it sits nicely in my pocket when I feel the need..... the birdshot rounds will certainly kill a legless snake and blind a two legged one........

is that a pistol thant can be worked one handed or do you need 2 hands to be able to push the after then fire it ?

Jim..... don't know what you mean by push the after? ? Yes it is a one handed gun. Here are many answers: Black Widow

Jim,

It is one handed.....you must cock (pull the hammer back) for each shot....you can do it with your thumb of your shooting hand. (if that is what you are talking about).

The 22 lr is'nt a good defence round but the 22 mag is nasty.

wonderer

Jim,

It is one handed.....you must cock (pull the hammer back) for each shot....you can do it with your thumb of your shooting hand. (if that is what you are talking about).

The 22 lr is'nt a good defence round but the 22 mag is nasty.

wonderer

It was supposed to say saftey. Article I read said it had one and sounded like it might have required 2 hands. As much as I would not want a gun that goes off unexpectedlt. I do not want it to require big movements that might cause the snake to strike first.

this weekend doing a bit of drywashing at about 6.30 am with my keane 150 drywasher. dug a hole and ran the dirt, went to the truck 50 yards away and processed the fines through the desert fox gold wheel /didnt get much AU. it tool me about 10 minutes, went back to dry washer reached down to gas up blower engine and bam like close lightning cracks or the sound of a whip cracking in front of me i jumped back there along the 4 inch black hose going from engine blower to drywasher was a rattler, id say i was less than 6 inches away from his head well within striking range. i didnt have chaps on just loose shoes untied. that frightened the sh// out of me, my first time to see or encounter a rattler, im guessing about 5 foot long. to tell you the truth i never seen its head or rattle it happened so fast, i went back to truck to get second shovel to kill it but when i got back about 10 minutes later it was gone without a trace[ had to have a cigarette to calm nerves lol]. i had a pair of cowboy boots almost nee high i put them on ,not sure if they would stop a snakes fangs getting through them, but for the rest of the day i wore them.

i think the snake was along the length of the hose because it was hot from drywashing and i guess he was warming up, lucky for me he wasnt fully warmed up i guess, it was a good lesson and a frightening awakening for me. i moved CAREFULLY to a different area and spent a day digging and drywashing for about half a gramme of au, not a great day for gold but i can count my blessings for not getting bitten. i was up between white hills and south of king tut mines working on club claims i am a new member of, i took a ten mile dirt road short cut through the mountains heading south for the high way/ that when you realise that when ur driving on soft gravel that you could get stuck with no help for miles in any direction i learned my second lesson that day, thankfully i made it out back on to white hills paved road, i could have made wrong turns on these dirt roads about 20 times but the fact i kept heading south saved me there. i learned how out of my depth i am in the desert in Arizona far away from the west coast i Ireland where i grew up battling tall waves in a lobster boat on the atlantic ocean. ps. i have a green card and i agree with the new Arizona laws

i just want to say every body i have met out there have been friendly, lessons i learned im going to get mobile numbers from regular prospectors out there in case i ever need help, i did have lots of food and over 20 gallons of water and a fully charged working phone, its a shame the day of cb radios has all but gone, a cb radio would have been a great way to get help if needed out there. i might stop prospecting until i get chapps and the rest of my gear up to scratch. i have been sleeping in the truck there at night and its starting to get a little to warm for that not to mention how cramped up it is. im going to look out for a camper shell or a small pop up camper as i usually stay out there from friday evening till sunday evening and i havent any air conditioning to cool down during the hot part of the day to cool off. Im in the GSSN club and i intend to join GPAA and Mojave club soon

silvervortek,

Welcome to the forum, lots of good information here.......glad you were'nt bit......scoripions, cactus & snakes are just a few of the desert delites, along with the heat.

Be safe & find some good gold.................wonderer

Never,never take a "mouse gun" afield. If you are going to carry, make sure the caliber starts with a "4" as in .44 .45 etc. snake shot is available to put in #1 hole , fill the rest with hollow points, then pray you never have to use it.

An all too familiar story Silver! Here are photos of my little friend, loaded with both snakeshot (first three), and wadcutters (last three). My little friend is heavy, but he has NEVER let me down. :thumbsupanim Stay safe! - Terry

post-22152-127920808915_thumb.jpg

this weekend doing a bit of drywashing at about 6.30 am with my keane 150 drywasher. dug a hole and ran the dirt, went to the truck 50 yards away and processed the fines through the desert fox gold wheel /didnt get much AU. it tool me about 10 minutes, went back to dry washer reached down to gas up blower engine and bam like close lightning cracks or the sound of a whip cracking in front of me i jumped back there along the 4 inch black hose going from engine blower to drywasher was a rattler, id say i was less than 6 inches away from his head well within striking range. i didnt have chaps on just loose shoes untied. that frightened the sh// out of me, my first time to see or encounter a rattler, im guessing about 5 foot long. to tell you the truth i never seen its head or rattle it happened so fast, i went back to truck to get second shovel to kill it but when i got back about 10 minutes later it was gone without a trace[ had to have a cigarette to calm nerves lol]. i had a pair of cowboy boots almost nee high i put them on ,not sure if they would stop a snakes fangs getting through them, but for the rest of the day i wore them.

i think the snake was along the length of the hose because it was hot from drywashing and i guess he was warming up, lucky for me he wasnt fully warmed up i guess, it was a good lesson and a frightening awakening for me. i moved CAREFULLY to a different area and spent a day digging and drywashing for about half a gramme of au, not a great day for gold but i can count my blessings for not getting bitten. i was up between white hills and south of king tut mines working on club claims i am a new member of, i took a ten mile dirt road short cut through the mountains heading south for the high way/ that when you realise that when ur driving on soft gravel that you could get stuck with no help for miles in any direction i learned my second lesson that day, thankfully i made it out back on to white hills paved road, i could have made wrong turns on these dirt roads about 20 times but the fact i kept heading south saved me there. i learned how out of my depth i am in the desert in Arizona far away from the west coast i Ireland where i grew up battling tall waves in a lobster boat on the atlantic ocean. ps. i have a green card and i agree with the new Arizona laws

i just want to say every body i have met out there have been friendly, lessons i learned im going to get mobile numbers from regular prospectors out there in case i ever need help, i did have lots of food and over 20 gallons of water and a fully charged working phone, its a shame the day of cb radios has all but gone, a cb radio would have been a great way to get help if needed out there. i might stop prospecting until i get chapps and the rest of my gear up to scratch. i have been sleeping in the truck there at night and its starting to get a little to warm for that not to mention how cramped up it is. im going to look out for a camper shell or a small pop up camper as i usually stay out there from friday evening till sunday evening and i havent any air conditioning to cool down during the hot part of the day to cool off. Im in the GSSN club and i intend to join GPAA and Mojave club soon

An all too familiar story Silver! Here are photos of my little friend, loaded with both snakeshot (first three), and wadcutters (last three). My little friend is heavy, but he has NEVER let me down. :thumbsupanim Stay safe! - Terry

post-22152-127920808915_thumb.jpg

I personally still will not have a gun or chaps this year. I still believe that the most snake bites and accidents come because of a lack of watchfulness. When you detect where is your focus ? do you constantly scan the ground eyes open and look around you or do you listen so intently that you stop looking and could literallywalk off a cliff not realizing it till you hit the ground ?

Yes, keeping an eye open to what is around you may make you miss a teenie tiny bit but a snake bite is something I'd forsake a speck for.

In all Reality, I could give a crap about snakes.

They are the least of my worries.

It's the Two legged ones that I need defense of.

I have never but once got close to a Viper with out knowing or being told.

One time I found this Cool Snake by a power pole and picked it up.

It was Black with Yellow bands over the back.

Just as I was standing up, I noticed it had two buttons on the butt end.

I just dropped it.

Looked it up later at home and found it was a Banded Rock Rattler that only lives in two mtn ranges here in New Mexico and Mexico.

It was a bit cool out and maybe why it was docile. It made No Effort to bite.

Mine was just like this but Black Body with Yellow bands.

You Just never know.

Read the first few paragraphs.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/articles/42

Here Terry! This is more your speed! :thumbsupanim

After reading the forum, I checked on the Black Widow.

I was very impressed with their web site, and decided to order one from a local gun shop.

After receiving it, I was very pleased with how well it was made.

Now the problem arises. I showed it to my girlfriend and she oooooohed and ahhhhhhed over it telling me how much she loved it, and how nicely it will fit in her purse. !!! ??.

I just smiled and told her how glad I was that she liked it so much.

Now I'm saving up more beer can's so I can order another one for MYSELF.

We have both shot it, and it's great.....By the way, there is a type of "safety" feature to the gun. You can place the trigger in between any two chambers, and not directly over a live round. This way you can load all 5 chambers, and not have to worry about an accidental discharge.

Thanks for the tip guys,

Patrick in Havasu.....

Patrick, you'll love that lil guy. Make sure you get the CCI Magnum shotshells, they are worth the x-tra couple dollars by far.

I'm presuming you got the 2 cylander model .22 s l lr an .22 mag.

No Frank. I just went "straight for the neck" and got the magnum cylinder.

I did get the CCI like you suggested. It's a great round. Pokes a lot of holes in a beer can. (all of which I am saving so I can have one of these guns of my own)

But she is happy, so you KNOW that makes me happy......

Patrick in Havasu.....

Well you can't get them in CA. because they are banned, but the tarus Judge is 45 long colt, and 410 shot gun shells in a 5 shot short barreled revolver. There not that much, if I ever move to AZ. that what I'm getting. Grubstake

Grubby you said that like we have BIGGER snakes here than Calif. :hahaha:

Well frank, I'll tell you. when I worked at a campground on the Merced River back in the early 90's. One summer I killed 20 rattlers right in front of the boat landing. Some were 4 ft long. and fat, lots to eat, mice and ground squirles. they do get ig here, and so do the bears. Grubstake

Mariposa does grow'm BIG!! Especially at 49er crossing at Bagby where that maniac Helmut squated for over 20 years and a million tons a trash. Nothing to kill 4-6 a day and when the eggs hatch BITING WORMS EVERYWHERE-I hate'm big time-always carry multiple weapons and detectors for any job that needs to be done when having fun in the sun-John

Yo Guys...Dodacious & I returned home from a trip to Montana Wed. night and I went out to feed my dog...Then I walked across our gravel driveway to toss the dogfood can into the garbage can and stepped right over a joe no-shoulders coontail lying next to the can...It buzzed loud then slid up under our motor home...I went into the house and grabbed my old pump BB gun and went back out...Joe was still under the motorhome and I got it in the head first shot...It just rared up and then bit its own back then slumped down...I shot it about four more times in the head...Then I pulled it out from under the MH with a rake, pumped up the BB gun again and put the barrel right down with in an inch of the rattler's head and the sucker turned and struck the barrel...Despite the fact it was clearly torn up with all the direct head shots....Weird...Before I chopped its head off it was about 44-inches...Cheers, Unc

post-9-023471800 1284668265_thumb.jpg

AAAWWWW your'e so mean. :hahaha:

Good thing gettin them before they do you or yours.

Yep, you're right Frank...I never harm or bother Joe when I'm out in his area, but when he's on my turf, he's dead...Especially having one--maybe this one--kill our old much loved cat last year...Actually, this one was only 100 feet from where we found our cat's body...Cheers, Unc

Hey, John. I knew helmut, His son still lives in town, I heard he moved to Mexico. Teddy had a gun fight up there a few years ago, and thats when the BLM, moved in and finally got him of that Millsite. They were a strange buch for sure. I see Teddy running around Mariposa every now and then. When I worked at Bagby for Bill Brosious, they filmed a wells Fargo commercial there, I was in it. I played an old miner running a rocker. Bills dead, MID took Bagby back, it will never be the same. Grubstake