Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Gilmore

Gun for snakes ?

I really am not a gun person but have never had a problem either avoiding or catching snakes. I've been doing a fair bit of searching on snake shot and guns to use. But in my searching I did find 1 person that claimed of al the items he used for snake control, the best was a shovel. So I'm wondering if a pair of gator's or such and an open eye might not continue as my plan of attack for avoiding snake troubles.

I'm really not looking to by a $500 pistol on the chance i might need to kill a snake. Especially sine In all my trips to the desert my snakes seen per trip is around a part of a snake .

Maybe 100 trips and seen 4 ?

I really am not a gun person but have never had a problem either avoiding or catching snakes. I've been doing a fair bit of searching on snake shot and guns to use. But in my searching I did find 1 person that claimed of al the items he used for snake control, the best was a shovel. So I'm wondering if a pair of gator's or such and an open eye might not continue as my plan of attack for avoiding snake troubles.

I'm really not looking to by a $500 pistol on the chance i might need to kill a snake. Especially sine In all my trips to the desert my snakes seen per trip is around a part of a snake .

Maybe 100 trips and seen 4 ?

Jim,

In my opinion you don't need a gun or a shovel for snake protection, a good set of snake boots or chaps/guards is all you need for the snake that you may not see before it's too late, I personally don't kill snakes, I will relocate a snake if it is in an area that there maybe kids/unaware people around, but not in a wilderness area, that is their domain I leave them as I found them.

That being said, I would carry a gun when out in the desert and any other wilderness area just in case you happen upon a "bad" 2 legged snake or two, these are the kind of snakes that you need a gun for, there are just to many bad people out there these days!!!

Also a gun is good to have should you run into any large predators, if it is large enough to handle such predators.

Skip

Jim,

In my opinion you don't need a gun or a shovel for snake protection, a good set of snake boots or chaps/guards is all you need for the snake that you may not see before it's too late, I personally don't kill snakes, I will relocate a snake if it is in an area that there maybe kids/unaware people around, but not in a wilderness area, that is their domain I leave them as I found them.

That being said, I would carry a gun when out in the desert and any other wilderness area just in case you happen upon a "bad" 2 legged snake or two, these are the kind of snakes that you need a gun for, there are just to many bad people out there these days!!!

Also a gun is good to have should you run into any large predators, if it is large enough to handle such predators.

Skip

Skip is pretty correct. I dont like killing snakes either....BUT....out in any woods or desert, you really should be armed these days. As far as snakes go, I have had to kill a couple of moccasins back in the day but for the most part unless you step on one out here in the desert, you hear them before you see them.

The one difference being the darn sidewinders.....those rascals will come up to your fire on a chilly night and crawl in bed with you. (thats why I never sleep on the ground)

If I had to kill one out here in AZ...its with a gun. I cant think of a shovel long enough for comfort....but thats just me.

Skip is pretty correct. I dont like killing snakes either....BUT....out in any woods or desert, you really should be armed these days. As far as snakes go, I have had to kill a couple of moccasins back in the day but for the most part unless you step on one out here in the desert, you hear them before you see them.

The one difference being the darn sidewinders.....those rascals will come up to your fire on a chilly night and crawl in bed with you. (thats why I never sleep on the ground)

If I had to kill one out here in AZ...its with a gun. I cant think of a shovel long enough for comfort....but thats just me.

Is a .22 with snake shot enuff of a detterent of do I need a .357 an say make my day ?

Is a .22 with snake shot enuff of a detterent of do I need a .357 an say make my day ?

lol well a .22 will do for a snake, but for the 2 legged ones, I'll take the 357.

either one for a snake you better be a good shot. I think it was Homefire on this forum that said once..."if you fire a shot the snake will home in on the heat of the barrel and the second shot is easier"....never tried it though.

:thumbsupanim Thanx to the great newer style of shot bullets even my lil'ol' 22 plinker can ruin their day. I much prefer my 357 mag though as there is usually no evidence left. Also good for 2 legged crankster wannabe gangsters in a pinch--but shredders mo' better :bang: John

Jim, Here in AZ, it is very bad luck to kill snakes and could affect your karma when it comes to finding nuggets.

I use a broom to chase them out of camp.

Bunk

Ok, I keep reading about the problems posed by the "two legged" variety, my question is, how do you deal with that situation? I've been out for twelve years a little bird hunting and a little prospecting never even seen a thug, always figured they were too lazy to go all that way for a victim. My fear has always been those Meth guys who hide in remote areas, how do we handle this type of confrontation even with a gun...by the way I ALWAYS have my 357 with me, maybe that's why I've never been bothered...

Jim I've been hit three different time by snakes and each time I

had on the snake guards that come up just above my knees...but my

type of hunting is so much different than those in the desert...here

I have brush and under growth that can easily be shoulder high...

even just knee high weeds are tough to see snakes in and keep your

mind on detecting...also my leg guards are just that...they not only

protect me from snakes but save my knees when I'm digging a deep

hole and a lot of different varieties of thorns...like cactus needles

As for guns I've used several kinds and if you only want something

small and light then the .22 Derringer with over and under barrels

loaded with snake shot does wonders on snakes and it's easily carried

in your hip pocket and easy to get to there...you could load it

with snake shot in one barrel and two legged in the other barrel...

don't know how old you are but if possible a good head on your

shoulders and fast set of feet sometimes is all that's necessary...

but like the others have said it's necessary to be prepared for

unwelcome visitors and never go alone!!!

Ok, I keep reading about the problems posed by the "two legged" variety, my question is, how do you deal with that situation? I've been out for twelve years a little bird hunting and a little prospecting never even seen a thug, always figured they were too lazy to go all that way for a victim. My fear has always been those Meth guys who hide in remote areas, how do we handle this type of confrontation even with a gun...by the way I ALWAYS have my 357 with me, maybe that's why I've never been bothered...

You know Rudy, you have asked a great question. I am going to tell you, that paying attention to your surroundings and who is out and about the area you are working in, is always best, because it allows you to avoid a confrontation. Avoiding a confrontation is always the best. In this day and age, even defending yourself, is going to bring ramifications that are unpleasant.

Let me say, that if you are out hunting, it is less likely that you will be hassled with, as the antagonist will know that you are armed in the first place. (Albeit there are still plenty of idiots out there). If you are out prospecting, say here in AZ, and you have to be pretty vigilant at all times. That is why I have been asking everyone to not go alone.

But your question of how to handle a confrontation may bring up different responses, as we are all different, with different life experiences.

I have to say for myself, I am pretty good with figuring out a situation. If I think I am in anyway in danger out here, I will first try to get out of the area. Second is to shoot first and ask/answer questions later. There are sooo many lonely locations out here that the drug runners love to use, at times you just dont have the option to make nice. Nope...havent shot anyone in America or even had to point my gun at them. I have laid low and waited for groups of illegals to go by, before I continue on though.

Its a situational thing and every situation is different. You do have to be willing to protect yourself, when all else fails.

By the way, Garimpo hit it on the head a bit. It really depends on where you are as to how to handle snakes. He works in a lot of brush at times and snake guards are really needed. I dont wear mine unless I go crawling up the side of a mountain and at my age....well lets just say that my 4 wheel does most of the climbing anymore.

LOL...also it was a 44 magnum that makes a day....just ask Dirty Harry.

You know Rudy, you have asked a great question. I am going to tell you, that paying attention to your surroundings and who is out and about the area you are working in, is always best, because it allows you to avoid a confrontation. Avoiding a confrontation is always the best. In this day and age, even defending yourself, is going to bring ramifications that are unpleasant.

Let me say, that if you are out hunting, it is less likely that you will be hassled with, as the antagonist will know that you are armed in the first place. (Albeit there are still plenty of idiots out there). If you are out prospecting, say here in AZ, and you have to be pretty vigilant at all times. That is why I have been asking everyone to not go alone.

But your question of how to handle a confrontation may bring up different responses, as we are all different, with different life experiences.

I have to say for myself, I am pretty good with figuring out a situation. If I think I am in anyway in danger out here, I will first try to get out of the area. Second is to shoot first and ask/answer questions later. There are sooo many lonely locations out here that the drug runners love to use, at times you just dont have the option to make nice. Nope...havent shot anyone in America or even had to point my gun at them. I have laid low and waited for groups of illegals to go by, before I continue on though.

Its a situational thing and every situation is different. You do have to be willing to protect yourself, when all else fails.

By the way, Garimpo hit it on the head a bit. It really depends on where you are as to how to handle snakes. He works in a lot of brush at times and snake guards are really needed. I dont wear mine unless I go crawling up the side of a mountain and at my age....well lets just say that my 4 wheel does most of the climbing anymore.

LOL...also it was a 44 magnum that makes a day....just ask Dirty Harry.

As I said I'm not really a gun person. ?But I'm looking to see whats availavle in 22 cal. using snake shot.

Not that worried about people where I go.

As I said I'm not really a gun person. ?But I'm looking to see whats availavle in 22 cal. using snake shot.

Not that worried about people where I go.

Here in N. Cal, there are "river rats and Meth Monsters that would think nothing of stealing your gear and gold, and leaving you for dead!

I know, I have run into them before. And every summer, I almost get nailed by a rattler, too. There are a lot of pot growers up in the woods here, and the best thing to do, is get the hell out, away from them. Even the campgrounds all have these undesirables in them.

I always go out with snake chaps & a loaded pistol, with the first round in snake shot. Gotta watch out for ticks and poison oak too. I pack food and water, and have bear spray if I go into bear country. Years ago, when I grew up in Phoenix, we would never see rattlers, as we were always out in the summer heat.

Never, ever sleep out on the ground!!! An old buddy of mine did, and he woke up with a big D-back rattler playing snuggy with him! Its also a great way to get ticks, and desease too, tarantulas, scorpions, etc.

I have some good stories to tell about dangerous moments I have faced. Beware of Enviro-nuts posing as trees! :ROFL:

.22 Snake shot is about worthless unless you put it right on there head.

A Old Cowboy showed me this and it works!

When you come across a Rattler, Shoot one round to your side.

Point the Now Warm barrel at the snakes Head and it will align it's self for a sure Head Shot Every Time.

Being Pit Vipers, they see this Heat Sorce as the Threat!

Done this 6 or 8 times and have never needed a second shot at the Snake.

This is not a Wives Tail, It Works!!!!

Never had to take a second shot ever- John

I have killed many hundreds of rattlesnakes and all I ever used was a walking stick. Since a snake is all backbone, no matter where you hit them their back is broke. With a gun you can get a wounding shot often and that just makes situations worse. The best strategy to keep from getting bit is to just get the heck away from them. Leave them alone!

Unless the snake is in a residential area, around a corral or working pen, or around a building I leave them completely alone. IF you dont try to kill them you wont get bit trying to kill them. That is the cause of 80% of all bites...Trying to kill them.

I have never met a snake that I could not walk away from. When I do, I wil hit him with a stick and the game will be over.

I have killed many hundreds of rattlesnakes and all I ever used was a walking stick. Since a snake is all backbone, no matter where you hit them their back is broke. With a gun you can get a wounding shot often and that just makes situations worse. The best strategy to keep from getting bit is to just get the heck away from them. Leave them alone!

Unless the snake is in a residential area, around a corral or working pen, or around a building I leave them completely alone. IF you don't try to kill them you wont get bit trying to kill them. That is the cause of 80% of all bites...Trying to kill them.

I have never met a snake that I could not walk away from. When I do, I wil hit him with a stick and the game will be over.

Yeah as I said I never had any snake problems so I'm not rushing to buy a gun. I've watched that show on tv showing that dr. from San Bernadino treating people that got bitten. The one guy said, when asked how he got bit. "I was drunk and tried to pick it up to look at.". Seems like good example of natural selection if you ask me.

Just wanted to throw my 1 1/2 cents in on this, I've owned many pistols and revolvers and this little guy takes the cake when yer spending countless hours wandering in the field. Stainless steel, ultra lightweight, holds 5 rounds shorts, longs, L.R's And the ammo will obliterate a beer can let alone a slithery varmit when absolutely nessessary. This isn't the avarage .22 snake shot shells. A couple CCI Magnum snake shot shells and 3 .22 mags in the other holes not a bad ultralight combo that you never even feel the weight of all day long. OH YEAH forgot to mention MADE IN THE U.S.A.

gun004.jpg

Sorta looks like an old palm gun Frank...nice, I like it.

Sorta looks like an old palm gun Frank...nice, I like it.

Let me throw a question out for you. Not being a gun person. And when I'm home I'm in an rv full time.

So how does keeping a gun like that in my rv work. Will It be a concealed weapon If I drove the rv to disney land even if I unload it an put bullets and gun in different locations ?

Let me throw a question out for you. Not being a gun person. And when I'm home I'm in an rv full time.

So how does keeping a gun like that in my rv work. Will It be a concealed weapon If I drove the rv to disney land even if I unload it an put bullets and gun in different locations ?

Jim,

An RV is a motor vehicle, and would be looked at the same as a car or truck, you would have to abide by the gun laws in state you are in at the time, it is your responsibility to know the gun laws of the states you are carrying a gun in.

Here is a link to a website that you can click on any state and see what the gun laws are for that state, you can also see which state honors/reciprocates other states CCW permits, the website is mainly for CCW (Conceal Carry Weapon) permit, but has info on most gun laws by state.

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Another link for state gun laws...

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/

Another link...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Skip

An cowboy friend told me about him and his friend out exploring. They stopped to take a break, Lon sat on a rock along the trail and his buddy

moved up above him, slightly hidden. A guy came along with a gun and tried to rob Lon, Dave stopped it. They made the guy strip naked, and took all of his clothes with them. It was spring and there was still a lot of snow! Then they hiked out and called the forest service and told them to be on the lookout for a naked man walking around in the snow! (Hoser reminds me of Lon)

R CA

:thumbsupanim Thanx for the good laugh Randy--as ye sow--so shall ye reap--ya bloody criminal freak--good'n- :yuk-yuk: free balling in the wild wild west :rasberry: John

"I was drunk and tried to pick it up to look at.".

If you research snake bites hospital emergency rooms report the #1 spot to be bitten is above he waist and the # 1 cause is alcohol consumption!

In Arizona I have had closer calls in the winter on sunny warm days than summer time when they are active at night.

If you research snake bites hospital emergency rooms report the #1 spot to be bitten is above he waist and the # 1 cause is alcohol consumption!

In Arizona I have had closer calls in the winter on sunny warm days than summer time when they are active at night.

uhm I never said I was drunk.....thats what the guy on the tv show whom got bit said.

Just wanted to throw my 1 1/2 cents in on this, I've owned many pistols and revolvers and this little guy takes the cake when yer spending countless hours wandering in the field. Stainless steel, ultra lightweight, holds 5 rounds shorts, longs, L.R's And the ammo will obliterate a beer can let alone a slithery varmit when absolutely nessessary. This isn't the avarage .22 snake shot shells. A couple CCI Magnum snake shot shells and 3 .22 mags in the other holes not a bad ultralight combo that you never even feel the weight of all day long. OH YEAH forgot to mention MADE IN THE U.S.A.

gun004.jpg

frank c.

Right on, the (5 shot) blackwidow with the 22 mag is what I have carried for years..... got it when I was using the ML 3500 & big chunks of metal were your enemy.......small lightweight gun is great......(2) 22mag shot shells (about double of a 22lr shot per shot) + (3) for the two legged snakes. I have the model with the (2) interchangable cylinders (1) for 22 mag & (1) for 22 lr. (makes it more versital).

Still wear the snakeguards when in the bushes and rocks though.

wonderer