Nugget Shooter Forums

micro meteorite questions?

On one of the science shows tonight I saw something that made me wonder. This guy talking about meteorites falling from space took a garden how and washed off his roof and collected the water in a bucket with a magnet and pointed out some small micro-meteroites. I'm curious sif there would be any value to them? sure i's just grains but I'm just curious .

Jim; I doubt there is any monetary value to micro-m's...there is worth to the collection and study thereof, but not lucre...

You would need a good microscope and some training to know one when you saw one...

BTW; there are tons of meteorite dust raining down every day...

Good hunting

fred

Jim; I doubt there is any monetary value to micro-m's...there is worth to the collection and study thereof, but not lucre...

You would need a good microscope and some training to know one when you saw one...

BTW; there are tons of meteorite dust raining down every day...

Good hunting

fred

thats ok, i was just curious. was wondering if yoy were to collect water in the down spouts with a magnet and save it maybe in a years time you might have a few ounces of it?

I manage a host of large buildings across the state with a bunch of roof space. Many have single ply non-ballast roofs, meaning a nice smooth surface. I have used a magnet to recover a lot of dust and there are definitely little meteorites in there. They look just like the big ones under a 30X loupe!

I have heard of a fellow mounting these in a magnifying box and marketing them. When I first started researching meteorites I came across the article somewhere out there in cyberspace. He collected dust from large roofs and that is what gave me the idea.

Last summer after a big rain I was looking at a leak in one of my buildings. One small puncture in a Goodyear rubber roof. At 75 degrees to level and going into the recover board. About the size of a walnut or a little smaller. I couldnt dig it out of the roof because I would void the warranty. It was deep and the insurance man was right there. The insurance adjuster said, "It must have been bullet." They put some foam in the little hole and glued a patch on it. I have this feeling that I will be calling that roofer back to fix that patch this fall. If the glue fails and the birds will start picking at the foam it could cause a pretty large hole there.

If you drag a magnet around in a known strewn field you can find a lot of small meteorites in the dust. I have found several dozen tiny pieces like that in Holbrook in just an hour or so. It seems that you could use a magnet and a microscope to locate a strewn field faster than finding specimens by searching visually or with a detector. You could sample areas with a magnet and examine the dust under magnification. When an area with meteoritic particles is found THEN begin the visual hunt in that area. The problem is that there is just a heck of a lot more balck sand out there than micro-meteorites. But then there are a heck of a lot more hunks of hematite than there are walnut sized meteorites too.

The most unbelievable occurrence every day in our lives is the air we breathe and the

food we eat. All is touched by the cosmos. While watching a sizable Meteor enter the atmosphere over Sedona and the smoke trail that remained for over 30 minutes it was very obvious that the particles would filter to earth. After more years of study I found out that everything we touch is part of the cosmos. The vegetables we eat, the apples, fruit ,and yes the wine we drink unless washed to the 3rd degree has Meteoritic particles. The dust in our homes is subject to this as well. Our entire make up is part of the cosmos and who knows we may be better for it. It may turn out that our source of iron in our bodies comes from this factor. Who knows??? On the subject of small falls have you ever been in the middle of nowhere and have had a rock hit your windshield and even crack or fracture it. I put thousands of miles on in my sales life and what was that missile that just hit me. I now believe is was the small Meteorite that nailed me and I had no idea at the time. Many Questions but. Meteorites Rock.

Thanks Fred for your input on mass. Very good.

Bob. My son works in shopping malls and now has a magnet and is searching for the leaks that just happen over night.

Wayne