Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold bug 3?

nugget108

I had commented on a post yesterday and didnt want to change the subject of that post. But i asked Sifter what kind of detector he was looking for and he had mentioned the new Gold Bug for his wife. Has anyone used one yet? I wouldnt mind getting one for my wife if they work worth a darn.

I don't know who has used one yet.

There has been some confusion about them.

It seems Fisher released a first version to Cabelas for $499.99.

Link:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0075670631026a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=GOLD+BUG&sort=all&Go.y=9&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=19&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

A second version (GOLD BUG SPECIAL EDITION) is supposed to go to the dealers sometime soon @$549, and then later a third version called the (GOLD BUG PRO) will be available for $699.

I called the factory, but they never returned my call.

Best wishes!

RSJ

haha that bad? well it might be ok for a beginner dont you think? But your right i dont want to get one have it be a turd.

Originally they were going to start production of a GB 3 back in 1999. We actually got to test the prototype but they weren't good by any means and we weren't the only ones who gave it bad reviews. It sounds like the actually did come out with that prototype in a production model later on. It was called the gold strike or something like that. That model didn't do very well either. I would be very careful about buying a gold bug 3. I find it hard to believe anything will ever beat the GB2.

Steve

Goldfinger, I agree it will be very hard to beat the GB2. This is nugget108, everything got messed up on nugget108 so i had to change my profile to nugget109. Thank you for the info. Same to everyone else, thanks for the info.

I think it is important to note the new "Goldbug" is not meant to replace the Goldbug II, it is an entry level nugget finder aimed at capturing business from White's GMT, and Tesoro's Lobo SuperTraq shoppers. Affordable, turn on and go. Not a machine for experienced prospectors. - Terry

Hi all,

I have second hand knowledge of a field test done by the new Gold Bug. It is a true multi-funtion machine, has the depth capabilties that the original Gold Bug had, due to its running at 19 kHz, which enable it to "see" nuggets at a greater depth than the Gold Bug 2 which runs at 71 kHz. It can be run either as a gold detecting machine, or a coin machine, and is able to excel at both.

The machine is in no way an original Gold Bug, only in the kHz, but with modern electronic enhancements that have been incorporated into it, it can come away with some very small gold, however, not the fly speck stuff the GB2 can find, which is a pain anyway.

The machine can be used at a good advantage in trashy gold locations, in that there are ways to switch quickly from the coin program to the nugget program and back that can give the user a good idea if the target is worth digging or not.

There are a couple things about the new GB that I didn't care for, that being the case design, which seems rather funky, has apparently been borrowed from a Teknetic T-2, I believe, which, to me, presents an open invitation for water intrusion. Look at one, and see for yourself. Kellyco sells both the Teknetics as well as the Gold Bugs... Perhaps the Fisher engineers will come up with a good seal, or hope the end user will have to either keep out of the rain, or use a walmart bag to cover the control box, or a tube of silicone to solve the matter.

I didn't really care for the threshold hum, in comparison to the GB2, the sound seems different, and to me, it would be painful to listen to, for extended periods of time.

This isn't any field report, but just some info I was able to glean, but won't say where or from whom, it will all come out in due time...

What I will say, is that if you are considering a multi-purpose machine, and don't have the big money right now, and want to get into gold detecting, at this introductory price I don't see how a person can go too far wrong. They do have a 5 year warranty...

~LARGO~

Thanks Largo. for the price and who will be using one, this sounds like it might be the way to go. I especially liked the info about the sealing issue. Thats important and useful. I just wonder if you were to use a sealant, if it might not void the 5 year warranty.

Something to get in writing from Fisher I would guess.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Here is a link to some of the Fisher detector discussions found on the Finds Forum. You can pick your way through it, and maybe answer some of the questions you have on the new Gold Bug: http://www.findmall.com/list.php?35 I tried to find the discussion on the water leak solution done by the factory, which was to apply some sealant to the opened case seam and reassembling it. Sounds kind of a simple solution, but it could effect the warranty, if you did it... go figger...

I did have a new gold bug briefly, which I bought from Cabelas, but took it back and got my money back, when the machine had some headphone jack issues. My male headphone jack, while it was inserted into the detector jack, flexed, as all jacks can, to some extent, as you move the machine side to side. Especially if using the 90 degree plug, which has a mechanical advantage in the way it is designed. This caused an erratic noise in my headphones, and the effect was shown as well on the screen display, so there was a lot of noise and confusing things going on, anytime the headphones were plugged in. There is another reference to headphone jack issues that might still be found, but I do think some heated discussions with the Fisher factory sales guy may have been deleted from the forum by now, but I could be mistaken, as I don't follow it much any more.

I personally don't believe that the machine is as robustly built, as the older Gold Bugs, but the electronics are very impressive. I believe the new Gold Bug has very good capabilities, and as time passes, the machine likely will become better as it evolves.

~LARGO~

Largo, thank you for all of the GREAT info. I might go that rout for her. She might go maybe 2 or 3 times a year and if she dont like it then i will give it to the kids and let them go poke around with it. Great info though thank you.

Archived