Nugget Shooter Forums

Abandoned Gold Mine & X-Terra 705

Hello,

I just purchased an X-terra 705 (I know - a little shrimp compared to some of your tools). Anyway, I have a deep abandoned gold mine from the late 1800's to early 1900's on my property and think it would be fun to see if I can find anything. I have tested out the coin/treasure part of my 705 and found a silver ring (which I had lost and forgotten plus some extremely valuable bottle tops and broken metal car pieces ;o). I haven't tried the gold detector part out yet. I guess I'm a little nervous. I'm afraid I'll get false positives or something and I don't think my mine was the vein or nugget type...

I think they hauled out "gravel" sent it off to be sifted and chemically separated for their gold (and other minerals).

Would any of you offer me any advice or point me in the direction of some good reading material about using metal detectors for finding gold?

I live in a dry, redish rock w/basalt rock also, sage brush, gravelly terrain much like AZ.

Thanks,

Hello and welcome. Kinda sounds like Nevada. The first thing you should do is a little research on the area. That is the number one thing you should do when first starting out prospecting. It could be possible to find a "New" gold bearing area, but it is always good to start where gold has been found. Research research research. Then if you can get a hold of a test nugget of some type, or a piece of lead then you can figure out the depth and the sensitivity of your machine. Just lots of practice. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dan.

Hello,

I just purchased an X-terra 705 (I know - a little shrimp compared to some of your tools). Anyway, I have a deep abandoned gold mine from the late 1800's to early 1900's on my property and think it would be fun to see if I can find anything. I have tested out the coin/treasure part of my 705 and found a silver ring (which I had lost and forgotten plus some extremely valuable bottle tops and broken metal car pieces ;o). I haven't tried the gold detector part out yet. I guess I'm a little nervous. I'm afraid I'll get false positives or something and I don't think my mine was the vein or nugget type...

I think they hauled out "gravel" sent it off to be sifted and chemically separated for their gold (and other minerals).

Would any of you offer me any advice or point me in the direction of some good reading material about using metal detectors for finding gold?

I live in a dry, redish rock w/basalt rock also, sage brush, gravelly terrain much like AZ.

Thanks,

Without asking for particulars. can you define mine ? Are you talking open pit or a tunnel into the ground ?

Hello and welcome. Kinda sounds like Nevada. The first thing you should do is a little research on the area. That is the number one thing you should do when first starting out prospecting. It could be possible to find a "New" gold bearing area, but it is always good to start where gold has been found. Research research research. Then if you can get a hold of a test nugget of some type, or a piece of lead then you can figure out the depth and the sensitivity of your machine. Just lots of practice. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dan.

Thank you. Would a piece of gold jewelry work? What would the significance of lead be?

Without asking for particulars. can you define mine ? Are you talking open pit or a tunnel into the ground ?

I am talking about a long tunnel with forks and a second floor that I can't get to :o( Well, I hope it's a second floor. It could be just a hole 15 feet above a deep pool of water (and herein lies the problem of access). I will have to get some brave soul with climbing gear to check it out for me some day.

I do see a lot of sparkly stuff in the gravelly "remains" that they brought out years ago. I assume this is just iron pyrite...

Like I said I haven't tried my 705 out near there.

Also, in case it's of note... there is an abundance of white calcium (?) stalactites dripping down from my mine walls.

There are several started but never continued with mining spots on my property. Someone went to a huge amount of effort. This had all been BLM land.

First, unless you have proper saftey gear stay the heck out.

1- how do you know that the tunnel has not built up gasses making it hazardous ?

2- how old is this place. Is it possibly going to come down around your ears.

3- Tell people what your doing in case they do not hear from you for a few days.

Might be too late but at least your family will be able to recover your body .

First, unless you have proper saftey gear stay the heck out.

1- how do you know that the tunnel has not built up gasses making it hazardous ?

2- how old is this place. Is it possibly going to come down around your ears.

3- Tell people what your doing in case they do not hear from you for a few days.

Might be too late but at least your family will be able to recover your body .

Well, luckily there is a huge airshaft. The tunnels are tall enough to walk through standing straight up in most areas. It's solid rock. But I would not want to be in there during an earthquake that is FOR SURE. It was started in the late 1800s. I would never go in alone. There's spiders in there!

Spiders,unless they resemble ones from a 1950's sci-fi movie are the least of your worries!As Mr.Gilmore stated watch the back and surely be careful for winzes,as it's sweet to dance to violins,it's delicate and rare,to dance to lutes,to dance to flutes is way beyond compare,but it is not sweet with nimble feet to dance upon the air!The stalactites sound interesting,perhaps the calcite /lime bringing in some gold.Is there a waste dump about the property?What do ther old mining reports say?You might want a better quartz gold machine and the fellows on this board can comment on that.Have you done any manual sampling?

The lead gives off about the same kind of signal sound that gold does. I have never used the detector that you have, so i dont know anything about it. If you get a chance buy a good gold maching. In your case i would get a goldbug2. They are very very sensitive to SMALL gold and gold in quartz. They are a great machine and very simple to learn.

Spiders,unless they resemble ones from a 1950's sci-fi movie are the least of your worries!As Mr.Gilmore stated watch the back and surely be careful for winzes,as it's sweet to dance to violins,it's delicate and rare,to dance to lutes,to dance to flutes is way beyond compare,but it is not sweet with nimble feet to dance upon the air!The stalactites sound interesting,perhaps the calcite /lime bringing in some gold.Is there a waste dump about the property?What do ther old mining reports say?You might want a better quartz gold machine and the fellows on this board can comment on that.Have you done any manual sampling?

Yes there are waste dumps, meaning gravely left-overs that have been hauled out on little tracks. I can see sparkly bits in them. I wonder how I could get copies of old mine reports... I know the last prospector was a 'civilian' that was way back... I think I shall make my way out to those dumps soon. (I can't imagine finding anything actually in the mine. All I see is brown-red rock, rock, rock!) They've blasted the smithereens out of many of my hills. I could try to search through the leftovers...

You say gravely leftovers..is this an old tertiary channel or quartz lode mine?Every state has mining reports.If your in Cali there are so many available at large public libraries,universities etc. and each county has their own report of mines and minerals.Watch out for the snakes in the tailings.

Rounded rock or crushed?? County please as I have a LOT of geo reports in calif. And they include mineral reports too. Happy to copy and send if found for free-hope ya find tons-John

If you have stalactite or staligmites. that means 2 thing. There is water moving minerales from someplace to another place. It could mean just a little bit of space create or huge voids create. In time something will be collapsing on its own. Who knows when.

If you have stalactite or staligmites. that means 2 thing. There is water moving minerales from someplace to another place. It could mean just a little bit of space create or huge voids create. In time something will be collapsing on its own. Who knows when.

Well that would depend wouldnt it? The stalagmites and tites, could be dead. There could be no more flow. Were the mites and tites formed after the mine was opened? Or did the mine tap into a natural cave system.

You all got me motivated to investigate this mine. Thanks for the tips! Alas, I found out that they primarily hauled (quoted from an old paper):

Ore MInerals: sphalerite, arsenopyrite, chalcopyrite, pyrite, and galena

Non-Ore Minerals: quartz, calcite

Commodities: Au (gold???), Ag, Pb, Zn, Cu

Production: Small amounts of ore were shipped in 1939 and 1954. Six tons shipped in 1941 contained .40 oz/ton Au, 20.25 oz/ton, Ag, 4.5% Zn and 3.8% Pb

Am I right in assuming that they got 20oz of gold out of 1 ton of crushed rock? That doesn't seem like much but what do I know? Nothing.

Host Rock: Newby Rock (Jurassic - Cretaceous Age) Associated Igneous Rock: Alder stock

Ore Controls: An irregular quartz-calcite vein in dacite ranges from a few inches thick to 3ft thick. Ore minerals are in bunches in the vein. The host rock is silicified dacite breccia. Some mineralization is also in a fault zone at the contact with the Alder Stock and in quartz-sericite phyllite

The mine is about 500 feet above a river bed. Maybe I should skip the mine and detect around the riverbed (much of which has not been covered by water for probably hundreds of years).

I've determined they are of the stalactite variety because they hang down. They are white with clear water dripping off. None are very long. Not more than 1-2". There is a lot of water in the mine. It's mucky on the foot paths and there are some deep pools that we cannot get around unless we drain them w/a long pipe.

Flittle,

One thing no mensioned is that when taking out high grade ore some can be lost along the way or missed by hand sorting .....raking the tailings out and detecting each section by section picks up missed nuggets of silver & gold missed by the oldtimers and detecting along the roads they may have taken the ore out of to be processed where some my have fallen out of the wagon....Those is the safer areas to detect....

Under ground mines are dangerous, bad air, hidden rotten shafts, lose overhead rock, rotten shoring, ect. ect.........Accidents happen fastter than you think, best thing is to stay out of them....if you go in be sure to have backup & wear safty equipment hardhat, light, ect. ect. + there is varied wildlife that could use a old mine as a den.

..........wonderer

Lets see-.4 oz/t=about $500 gold and 20 oz/t silver =about $380 so a ton is close to $880 and man alive that is EXTREMELY doable. :thumbsupanim Keep it small.lean and mean and glean through them tailing real careful like and get the EZ before you start messing sround underground as the above post states!You'll proabally get enough gold from the tailings to pay for proper equipment to work the mine on a limited basis.Always err on the side a caution as Being the richest man in the graveyard is not a good way to go-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

If you got 20 oz per ton you would be walking in very tall cotton!...that would be a bonanza!!! If I read correctly your report shows less than 1/2 oz per ton...actually 4/10 of an oz...Better check your math! 4/10ths of an oz, if free milling would be pretty good these days. Chances are the mine was closed for the War-effort in 1941 and someone gave it a go in the 50's but at 35 bucks an oz it didn't pay.

Your Xterra will find small pieces of hi-grade if the mine had hi-grade ore...Chris ralph has a great book that would help educate you a lot...well worth the money.

Fred

Flittle,

I have followed this thread with interest. As a retired hard rock miner(40+yrs.) I find your property is very interesting. The reports you gave show that the gold is at .40 per ton and silver at 20 per ton. That is very good ore.

A few things to consider: 1. Do not explore by yourself. Have a close friend or partner with you. 2. If you decide to explore the interior of the mine, only one goes in. Keep someone on the outside for protection. 3. Sample the vein material. Try to get at least 10-20 lbs. of material to sample. 4. If you decide to open the mine up and work it on a small scale, do so as you pay for equipment. Do not invest in a lot of equipment that you can not recover the expenses for.

If you need any advise please let me know. I'll try to help in any way I can by phone. My hard rock days are over now. A broken back has side lined me from doing hard rock mining.

You have received some very good advise from the members and following it will keep you safe and alive.

Bob

Wow! Thanks to all of you! And I did typo that Au info. and I didn't realize Ag stands for silver (yippee!) There are mountains of tailings around here so I will stick w/them. I bet you were right on about the time frame of closing the mine down.

Would someone tell me the name of that book? We need a lot of education!

Would someone also tell me what all those other abbreviations stand for and if they're of value in todays market.

Thanks!

Flittle,

I have followed this thread with interest. As a retired hard rock miner(40+yrs.) I find your property is very interesting. The reports you gave show that the gold is at .40 per ton and silver at 20 per ton. That is very good ore.

A few things to consider: 1. Do not explore by yourself. Have a close friend or partner with you. 2. If you decide to explore the interior of the mine, only one goes in. Keep someone on the outside for protection. 3. Sample the vein material. Try to get at least 10-20 lbs. of material to sample. 4. If you decide to open the mine up and work it on a small scale, do so as you pay for equipment. Do not invest in a lot of equipment that you can not recover the expenses for.

If you need any advise please let me know. I'll try to help in any way I can by phone. My hard rock days are over now. A broken back has side lined me from doing hard rock mining.

You have received some very good advise from the members and following it will keep you safe and alive.

Bob

If you got 20 oz per ton you would be walking in very tall cotton!...that would be a bonanza!!! If I read correctly your report shows less than 1/2 oz per ton...actually 4/10 of an oz...Better check your math! 4/10ths of an oz, if free milling would be pretty good these days. Chances are the mine was closed for the War-effort in 1941 and someone gave it a go in the 50's but at 35 bucks an oz it didn't pay.

Your Xterra will find small pieces of hi-grade if the mine had hi-grade ore...Chris ralph has a great book that would help educate you a lot...well worth the money.

Fred

What is hi-grade ore?

I will Google Chris Ralph.

I bet you're on to something w/the War stopping the mining. I have 'roads' zig zagging all over my property to just barely blasted dead-ends. Do you think they did experimental blasts or bull-dozes to see if the right kind of minerals were present or what?

Thanks for the tips!

What is hi-grade ore?

I will Google Chris Ralph.

I bet you're on to something w/the War stopping the mining. I have 'roads' zig zagging all over my property to just barely blasted dead-ends. Do you think they did experimental blasts or bull-dozes to see if the right kind of minerals were present or what?

Thanks for the tips!

I believe you listed

Au=gold

Ag=silver

Zn= zinc ?

Pb = lead

Aleast I think thats them if my searching skills are right.