Nugget Shooter Forums

New guy around here

GlennM

Hey folks, now for my second post...

I'm relatively new, heck, just plain new. Gold fever has struck and I'm going nuts with the little flakes, fines and flour in my pans.

I have a GPAA membership and a brand new White's GMT E-Series and really need to learn how to use it.

Anyone willing to take a new guy out and help him learn? Or even just need someone to help dig, I'm available and willing. I need to find some gold so I can get a dry washer :)

I have a 1-ton dually, but it's 2 wheel drive (was bought to tow my off road rig around, but that will never get finished) so I have to rely on borrowing or riding along.

Either way, if you want to get out and go and don't mind a newbie, please let me know. I'd love to meet up with folks who share my sickness and love for the outdoors.

-Glenn

I have NO 4 wheel drive and have never needed one to gold mine. A little caution goes a long way. But 2 wheel drive can go many places. Just watch out for deep sand and keep a tire pump handy in case you need to drop your tire pressure to get off the sand.

Hi Glenn! Welcome to the wild and wooly world of gold prospecting. While I seriously doubt the majority of seasoned gold prospectors will call you and say, "Howdy new guy - that doesn't even know how to use his metal detector, come on out with me and I'll not only show you the patch it took me three-years to find, but I'll teach you how to use your metal detector and smile as you take enough gold off my claim to pay for your new AZ DESERT GOLD :thumbsupanim (blatant product placement for one of my sponsors :inocent: ) drywasher," I wish you luck.

Look around, ask some questions and join a prospecting club. Read your detector manual and practice with it an hour a day in the back yard using items glued to plastic poker chips (bullet; bullet casing; piece of wire; a bolt or nut; small nail or tack; silver dime; and a small, .5 gram gold nugget). Learn to distinguish the sounds, and test at different depths. You can also pay for lessons, and learn at an accelerated pace.

Read old posts here on this forum. Almost every question you have, will have or never thought of has already been asked and answered here – just spend a few minutes researching these old posts – you’ll be amazed!

Big Nuggets new guy! - :twocents: Terry

Hi Glenn! Welcome to the wild and wooly world of gold prospecting. While I seriously doubt the majority of seasoned gold prospectors will call you and say, "Howdy new guy - that doesn't even know how to use his metal detector, come on out with me and I'll not only show you the patch it took me three-years to find, but I'll teach you how to use your metal detector and smile as you take enough gold off my claim to pay for your new AZ DESERT GOLD (blatant product placement for one of my sponsors rolleye0012[1].gif ) drywasher," I wish you luck.

Look around, ask some questions and join a prospecting club. Read your detector manual and practice with it an hour a day in the back yard using items glued to plastic poker chips (bullet; bullet casing; piece of wire; a bolt or nut; small nail or tack; silver dime; and a small, .5 gram gold nugget). Learn to distinguish the sounds, and test at different depths. You can also pay for lessons, and learn at an accelerated pace.

Read old posts here on this forum. Almost every question you have, will have or never thought of has already been asked and answered here – just spend a few minutes researching these old posts – you'll be amazed!

Big Nuggets new guy! - twocents[1].gif Terry

I realize that my request was a bit out there, but it is what it is. You never get to know folks if you don't ask, and you never make friends with false claims :)

I appreciate the frank response, and look forward to one day being able to call myself seasoned. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oh, and Terry, thanks for the wishes of Big Au, same to you!