Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi, New Here

Hello to all you folks.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I'm new here and wanted to say hi.

I'm retired, living in AZ, and have a new metal detector and have started hunting meteorites mostly as an excuse to get out in the back country when there's no hunting season open.

I was referred to this forum by a PM on another forums.

Well, hello.

I'm new here too. Going to be moving to Sun City and have detectors and a recirculator. Regarding meteorite hunting, what is the purpose of the magnets that people mention. Are most or all meteorites ferris or metals that attract to magnets. Do you just hunt with a magnet or is the magnet used after you get a detector hit? I've already made two meteroite magnet sticks out of rare earth Magnets and old graphite golf shafts. Now I just don't know what to do with them. Regards, Bill

Hello to all you folks.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I'm new here and wanted to say hi.

I'm retired, living in AZ, and have a new metal detector and have started hunting meteorites mostly as an excuse to get out in the back country when there's no hunting season open.

I was referred to this forum by a PM on another forums.

Well, hello.

Hi-

Welcome to the forum. You're in the right state as far as meteorite hunting goes. There's Gold Basin, Franconia, Holbrook and numerous other strewn fields in which to hunt meteorites. The first three are in the northern part of the state and are easily assessable. Franconia and Holbrook is mostly open land. Gold Basin has numerous claims in the area so you're going to be restricted somewhat from hunting that area unless you have permission from the claim owner or belong to a gold club.

If you do a search on Holbrook, Franconia and Gold Basin- there's all kinds of information in the archives.

What kind of detector do you use?

Steve

Checksum and Twobobs welcome to the forum.

Twobobs, yes, many meteorites have a high iron content and stick to the magnet. I understand that most meteorite hunters just use a magnet on a stick rather than a metal detector. I tell my wife I going to the desert to wander around flailing my arms. Guys like Ruben Garcia find them by sight, but they know what they're looking for.

Steve, I have a Tesoro Compadre. It's a very basic machine that's fine for me now since I don't know what I'm doing with them yet. I got it recently and still learning to read its sounds.

Welcome!!!!

if y'all have the time and interest...go back through the older posts and read/skim them. You can get a very good idea of what this forum is about and get many of your "nubbie" questions answered...all at no cost to yourself.

good hunting

fred

Welcome to one of the better forums around -- especially this meteorite sub-forum. I mostly have gold related interests, but recently I snagged a couple of small meteorites. I am sure that the reverse is in store for you if you keep looking. Many of the space rock guys sooner or later nail a nugget.