Nugget Shooter Forums

What's up with the meteorite men?

Does anyone know what the Meteorite Men are working on? Those two are such opposites but appear to have a great friendship. I hope those guys secure another season, they deserve it. The Meteorite Men are the first and only celebrities in the meteorite world and I hope they parlay their show into a cash cow.

Obviously you haven't been in the field long enough to know there's been plenty of other meteorite celebrities long before the meteorite men arrived on the scene.

Steve

Obviously you are using the word celebrity loosely. If you asked 9 out of 10 americans, a celebrity is someone known to others regardless of any interest or involvement in the celebrities genre. Once again, the only celebrities in the meteorite world are the Meteorite Men.

Obviously you are using the word celebrity loosely. If you asked 9 out of 10 americans, a celebrity is someone known to others regardless of any interest or involvement in the celebrities genre. Once again, the only celebrities in the meteorite world are the Meteorite Men.

Aloha Florida Guy,

Actually celebrity means someone who is famous or well known. Look it up in the dictionary!angry-smiley-032[1].gif

twocents[1].gif

I guess these are the ONLY two guys you know! You really need to get out in the field and do some ground pounding, metal detector swinging and actually start finding some of them space rocks.

Okay, John B. and Rueben I know you guys have a looooooong list of meteorite celebrities known to this group who actually have hunted for meteorites and are fairly famous and well known to the meteorite community. So they don't have a tv show! They are still famous and well known.

NUFF SAID ON THIS SUBJECT!

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

I kinda have to agree with Florida Guy on this. The only true Celebrities in the Meteorite world are the Meteorite Men. I dunno about the 9 out of 10 thing. But if you asked 10 americans who are the most famous meteorite hunters they know of 2 out of 10 would say Meteorite Men. 0 out of 10 would say anyone else.

I do have a feeling that the Meteorite Men are gonna get at least 1 show out of the Livingston Meteorite from Wisconsin...

Anybody who know's anything about meteorites has heard of or knows of Robert Haag, O. Richard Norton or Harvey Nininger. These folks are well known and are celebrities in their own right. Quite a few meteorite hunter's got started by watching Bob Haag on the TV "Science and History Channel", etc. And, I'm sure if you asked Geoff or Steve "Meteorite Men" they will tell you the same... Being a celebrity isn't always someone on TV or in movies... Some people actually read books... :ROFL:

best wishes, jim "bones" :ph34r2:

Anybody who know's anything about meteorites has heard of or knows of Robert Haag, O. Richard Norton or Harvey Nininger. These folks are well known and are celebrities in their own right. Quite a few meteorite hunter's got started by watching Bob Haag on the TV "Science and History Channel", etc. And, I'm sure if you asked Geoff or Steve "Meteorite Men" they will tell you the same... Being a celebrity isn't always someone on TV or in movies... Some people actually read books... :ROFL:

best wishes, jim "bones" :ph34r2:

I'll bet if you were to ask the meteorite men (Geoff and Steve), who they thought were "meteorite celebrities", that their list would have the same names as your list. Who's wouldn't??

Joe

I kinda have to agree with Florida Guy on this. The only true Celebrities in the Meteorite world are the Meteorite Men. I dunno about the 9 out of 10 thing. But if you asked 10 americans who are the most famous meteorite hunters they know of 2 out of 10 would say Meteorite Men. 0 out of 10 would say anyone else.

I do have a feeling that the Meteorite Men are gonna get at least 1 show out of the Livingston Meteorite from Wisconsin...

Agreed, but if you were to have asked them two years ago, most people probably wouldn't have even heard of Steve and Geoff.

Go ask a 20 year old who "Howdy Doodie" was or a ten year old who the "Fonze" was, or better yet, three years from now: who George Bush was :lol:

According to this forum...everyone's a celebrity! Hip hip horay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again...the Meteorite Men are the only celebrities in the meteorite world so stop kidding yourselves. Bye the way, this icon :ph34r2: reminds me of someone.

So it all boils down to who you think the very best rock picker upper in the world is.

Why are some of us so obsessed with being a celebrity? Why are some of us so obsessed with kissing the omnipotent fannies of the celebrity?

Until one of these rock picker uppers endorse Nike shoes or are on a box of Wheaties then they are just fellows who spend their days stumbling around looking for black rocks.

You can definitely tell who wants the recognition and who is after the rocks. I believe that this is what FG and Meteorite Bros are getting at. I see no reason to worship anyone or hold anyone in high regard that has devoted their time to finding meteorites, gold, uranium, bat guano, or a salable gravel deposit. It is just another thing to do.

So who is worthy of inserting your nose into their rectal orifice because of the neat rock they found? Personally, I will find my own rocks. The celebrities can go about their business of being a celebrity and all you fellows who really need a hero can idolize anyone you want to. The facts are that it is no big deal, guys do htis for every reason EXCEPT security and financial gain, adn there are MANY who have found more meteorites than any names mentioned above.

If i am going to kiss anyones butt for being a meteorite hunter it is going to be Sarah Palin. She has not found many meteorites but she is one hell of a lot better looking than either of the Meteorite Men, is a lot taller than Ruben Garcia, has longer hair that Robert Haag, and is a lot smarter, richer, and more powerful than all of them put together. She could find just as many meteorites too given a short amount of time.

Anyone that is willing to abandon their career, hobbies, and family to devote the time it takes to be a "professional" meteorite hunter certainly deserves success and (if they desire) recognition. Let's remember that this recognition is NOT for being a great man, for accomplishing some worthy goal, or promoting culture, science, or anything else. It is about finding a rock.

The "greatness' of it all only appeals to a very small subset of outdoorsmen and is really no more difficult or special than many things that men undertake in the great outdoors. It is simply something to do that defies odds. It is too bad that this is equated with "success" and "greatness" and the "measure of a man". It is also too bad that finding a rare rock can foster so much envy in some men. Those that seek greatness and recognition for finding rocks are especially fond of men feeling envy toward them. They feed on this feeling. For the wannabe meteorite celebrity this is MUCH more important than any rock they could find.

So it all boils down to who you think the very best rock picker upper in the world is.

It is also too bad that finding a rare rock can foster so much envy in some men. Those that seek greatness and recognition for finding rocks are especially fond of men feeling envy toward them. They feed on this feeling. For the wannabe meteorite celebrity this is MUCH more important than any rock they could find.

Well Bob I agree with most of what you said, but dont you think it is understandable the quoted line that I bolded from your quote? Men throughout the ages have coveted what one man does or finds or accomplishes. There will always be men that will try to belittle the accomplishment or steal the item found. How many men have been shot in the back for the Gold they have found?

Perhaps I look at the Meteorite Men a bit differently.....I would consider them Television Celebrities, that happen to hunt for Meteorites. There are many Men and Women before them that are much more renoun in the world, for the skill in Meteorites. These 2 just happen to have a popular show. :twocents:

Well Bob I agree with most of what you said, but dont you think it is understandable the quoted line that I bolded from your quote? Men throughout the ages have coveted what one man does or finds or accomplishes. There will always be men that will try to belittle the accomplishment or steal the item found. How many men have been shot in the back for the Gold they have found?

Perhaps I look at the Meteorite Men a bit differently.....I would consider them Television Celebrities, that happen to hunt for Meteorites. There are many Men and Women before them that are much more renoun in the world, for the skill in Meteorites. These 2 just happen to have a popular show. :twocents:

Covetousness is a sin, and it is funny how government, businesses and celebrities are propelled by covetousness. So are consumers in the market place.

I guess my point is that without the jealousy and covetousness, there would be no celebrity meteorite hunters. Just black rock picker uppers.

I dont think that the finding of one (or a million) black rocks is grounds to worship a person, steal his black rocks, or idolize him for his colloection of black rocks. His hours spent searching for black rocks could have been used to help children, secure the border, fight poverty and hate in the world, or any one of a million more worthy endeavors, so how gret a man is he really? He could be persuing any one of a million more profitabolem endeavors as well. And to be inspired to be a celebrity meteorite hunter is even more strange, as this requires a host of people who are not only fascinated,, but in awe of your skill at picking up black rocks.

Stranger things have happened in our society, and more unlikely heroes have emerged. I jut dont see the big flap over these "pros" and what they do. If people will pay to see the movies or sit and waste an hour watching someone else find meteorites (or play football, or play the guitar, or act like someone else) then I suppose there will be a market for celebrity black rock picker uppers.

I must say that I am fascinated by our fixation with "heroes" and I suppose every activity from meteorite huntiong to gangsta rap must have their front men. I can guarantee that if you throw that TV out the back door and devote your time to finding gold and meteorites rather than worshiping heroes and gazing into the box of light that you will find a lot more black rocks and those self proclaimed experts will loose a whole lot of their mystery and intrigue.

As far as wealth and financial security goes it would make a lot more sense to inspire to be a professional basketball player than a professional meteorite hunter. It makes for interesting fantasy though, and I will bet that the Meteorite Men are enjoying a lot better financial reward being TV personalities than black rock picker uppers.