Nugget Shooter Forums

visiting Utah

want some

Pick up a copy of "A Guide to Gold Panning Utah" by Alan J. Chenworth, that's the most complete and up to date resource I know of, it was pulished in 2007.

Have fun on your trip to southern Utah, but dont waste your time prospecting. The geology down there is all sedimentary- no gold. Plus it is almost all National Parks or National Monuments so it would be illegal anyway. The Oquirrh mountains have some lode gold left but is owned by Kennecott (Rio Tinto now) and off limits also. Sorry to discourage you, but those are the facts. Oh, and if you pick up an arrowhead or a piece of pottery on public land you can get a huge fine.

Carl is part right. There is several gold producing

areas in Southern Utah. Here is a few Abajo mountains,

LaSal mountains,Henry mountains,Tushar mountains,and

several rivers. In just the past few years any place

that was even rumored to have gold,has been claimed

solid.Several large companies have claimed whole town

ships in blanket claims too. They are not friendly

either :ninja:

But now for the sad part. Anything that is not under

claim is in a park,monument,wild and scenic river,or

just completely off limits period.The odd part is any

area that had oil,coal or minerals just happened to be

picked for a land grab,er I mean wilderness,park or

what have you. :*&$*(:

Oh Yeah I live here in the heart of the land of no

use don't touch. They do have some nice ATV trails,

one over by Marysvale even goes through gold claims

owned by the Deer Trail mining company. :evil1:

Have fun on your trip to southern Utah, but dont waste your time prospecting. The geology down there is all sedimentary- no gold. Plus it is almost all National Parks or National Monuments so it would be illegal anyway. The Oquirrh mountains have some lode gold left but is owned by Kennecott (Rio Tinto now) and off limits also. Sorry to discourage you, but those are the facts. Oh, and if you pick up an arrowhead or a piece of pottery on public land you can get a huge fine.

Carl is right about the sedimentary rocks in Utah, in fact the whole state is primarily composed of sedimentary rocks. However, there are a few spots here and there that are not, and some fine gold has washed in from Colorado in some areas. Your best bet in Southern Utah is the Henry Mountains, they are not very convenient to get to, being on the eastern side of the state, but there is a public panning place with low commercial grade placers. Those are probably the best placers in the state, the second maybe being west of Delta, Utah in the House Range, both areas have lots of claims. Here is a link to the book I was talking about, if you scroll down close to the bottom you will see a photo of 1/3 oz. of placer gold from the Henry Mountains.

http://goldpanningutah.com/default.aspx

Here's a video from the same page, apparently put up at the end of this March. I'm surprised he was out that early, the creek is full of snow.

Great information. When the states joined the US and gave land to the US government it was with the stipulation that the land would mostly be deeded to the people. As yet the US government has steadily robbed us of what is ours; and in Utah they have really outdid themselves. Common sense is the rule. If I see a penny on the street, I pick it up, I don't steal or rob.

Thanks Sawmill, you and I have a lot of the same feelings on our "public lands".

Oh Yeah I live here in the heart of the land of no

use don't touch. They do have some nice ATV trails,

one over by Marysvale even goes through gold claims

owned by the Deer Trail mining company. :evil1:

want some

What area were you planning to go to?

Some of the high trails probably won't be

open until July . We have lots of snow in

the mountains this year.

Also no one mentioned Minersville . It is

West of Beaver and there is lots of old gold

mines around there. A lot of them are on private