Nugget Shooter Forums

detector for arizona

twobobs

Hi all! I've been reading alot on this forum to try and decide on a detector to buy. I'll be moving to Sun City, Arizona and want to get into nugget detecting in the area from Wickenburg to the Lynx Creek area. It looks like I need a machine that deals with mineralization and picks up fairly small nuggets. My budget is about $700. Would sure like to hear from some of you experienced shooters.

A early welcome to AZ. In that price range you are going to be limited in detectors looking at a VLF detector. They are three that top the list that I have seen used here in AZ with good results. A Tesoro LOBO's Super Trak, a GOLD BUG II, and a Minelab EUREKA GOLD. They are probably some others that people have used with good results too. You may also find some good deals on used detectors. Up the scale are the PI dectectors, but the price goes up too! I have seen some good deals on the early Minelabs SD2100, and SD2200 going for $1500.00 bucks. The main thing is once you get a detector is practice, practice, and more practice! Dig, and dig every targets until you learn what every zip, zing, whisper your detector make. Keep at it and don't get discourage. It have taken several people's years before they found their first nugget. For most of us, finding gold is a plus. The real gold is in the experience and friendships made along the way.

More Au to you, Robert

A early welcome to AZ. In that price range you are going to be limited in detectors looking at a VLF detector. They are three that top the list that I have seen used here in AZ with good results. A Tesoro LOBO's Super Trak, a GOLD BUG II, and a Minelab EUREKA GOLD. They are probably some others that people have used with good results too. You may also find some good deals on used detectors. Up the scale are the PI dectectors, but the price goes up too! I have seen some good deals on the early Minelabs SD2100, and SD2200 going for $1500.00 bucks. The main thing is once you get a detector is practice, practice, and more practice! Dig, and dig every targets until you learn what every zip, zing, whisper your detector make. Keep at it and don't get discourage. It have taken several people's years before they found their first nugget. For most of us, finding gold is a plus. The real gold is in the experience and friendships made along the way.

More Au to you, Robert

The perfect machine for your budget - and area - is the Prescott, Arizona made (and guaranteed for life!), Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq. I can tell you from my own experience, it will find a picker the size of a BB at 7” deep. You can usually find one for $670.00 or so new in the box. Good Luck! - Terry

Hi all! I've been reading alot on this forum to try and decide on a detector to buy. I'll be moving to Sun City, Arizona and want to get into nugget detecting in the area from Wickenburg to the Lynx Creek area. It looks like I need a machine that deals with mineralization and picks up fairly small nuggets. My budget is about $700. Would sure like to hear from some of you experienced shooters.

Hey bud im with Goldfinger on this one. You cant beat the GB2 on small nuggets with the 6.5" coil. I banged a 13.6 grain nugget with it at 8 inches. They say it doesnt go deep but it does better than most think. And it also is warranteed for life. You can get a brand new for $769 or used for around $500. They are a good machine and my dad and i have 2 of them in our arsenal of tools haha. Good luck.

Dan.

Aloha,

Yep those are some great selections BUT dont overlook the good ole GMT. That is if you can find one used. You wont find too many used GMT's for sale! Gee, I wonder why? Because once you get your hands on one and become accustomed to its screams telling you to "DIG THAT TARGET!!!!!" you wont want to sell it.

Good luck on your selection and no matter which unit you select key word is: PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha,

Yep those are some great selections BUT dont overlook the good ole GMT. That is if you can find one used. You wont find too many used GMT's for sale! Gee, I wonder why? Because once you get your hands on one and become accustomed to its screams telling you to "DIG THAT TARGET!!!!!" you wont want to sell it.

Good luck on your selection and no matter which unit you select key word is: PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Also, don't over look the newest Whites addition, the GMZ. A slightly downgraded version of the GMT for only $500 new. It lacks some of the bells and whistles of the GMT but with no loss of sensitivity and depth. With your budget you can pick some good headphones and digging tools too.

Digger

Digger Bob

It is exciting to me that we have all of these GREAT choices and tools at our disposal! This is really an important period in the "hobby" of placer gold mining, with more and more folks becoming interested every day.

I still do a little happy dance every time I see someone find their first gold nugget, or as the first few flakes appear in the black sands in their gold pan. Tesoro, Fisher, Whites – a lot of really good machines in the $700-$800 range! :thumbsupanim - Terry

Ya the GB2 is very sensitive to small gold which also makes it very sensitive to little hot rocks---which are very plentiful around the lynx creek area---not trying to discourage anyone just trying to state the facts---save your money and try to find a used sd 2100--just my 2 centavos worth--Mike C...ph34r2.gif

I agree with Kami. I use a GB2, Whites TDI, and a Mine Lab Eureka Gold. All do a good gob with mineralzation, and hot rocks, and will find the small gold but it takes practice to decern what your hearing.

You all are giving me some good info to digest. I appreciate the time you have taken to answer my question. Thanks! I'd love to find a spot somewhere with the detector and then work the recirculating sluice I made about a year ago out of scrap aluminum and boat bildge pumps.

Regards, Bill

I never leave home without my GB2 & TLST-ever- :thumbsupanim John

[/quote So John, Why do you take both the GB2 and the TLST? Does one work better than the other in certain conditions? Or, Do you consider both as equal in most all conditions? My son, Steve, works in the electrical department at the Redding Home Depot. He'll do his best to help you out. He is tall and skinny with a buzz cut. Regards, Bill

TLST has a disc function so when you get into tourista trash/nails/tin/globs of melted stuff you can disc out MUCH of the garbage. I also have the smaller coils for both to get as close to the ground as possible(and work around trash easier). Redding Home Depot is my home away from home,there yesterday(almost everyday)and decent folks do work there. GB2 finds tinier gold in some applications but the TLST does shine in more places and conditions. Detectors are only as good as the man behind them and his dedication to learning their quirks-THEY ALL HAVE'M JUST LIKE WOMEN-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :yuk-yuk:

Just remember to did EVERYTHING until you learn you machine. Even after that its a good idea to dig it all, and always recheck you hole after you removed the target. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...