Nugget Shooter Forums

John B, What kind of snake?

Hi All, Heading up Goler Gulch in the El Paso Mountains my wife spotted this snake 20ft above us on the cliff heading into a rat nest. Took a telephoto shot of it, but could not scale the vertical cliff to catch and identify it. Have seen Rosy boas, king snakes and rattlers in this area, but never a snake like this. What do you think? an Albino Gopher snake or a Gopher snake in a pinkish desert color phase, or? Have seen Blackish Pacific rattlers and blackish Garter snakes on the central CA. coast were the soil is black. Any ideas? Bob

post-1621-127223429909_thumb.jpg

post-1621-127223439206_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert on western snakes, show me an eastern snake and I can tell you what it is, but I think it is a Sonora Gopher snake..."Dorsal blotches brown or red-brown, darker towards the tail than toward the head", or a Great Basin Gopher snake, without being able to see the entire snake this is my guess, it is a little bit lighter and the dorsal blotches are a little small but it could still be a Sonora Gopher.

The dorsal blotches look more like a Great Basin Gopher snake.

"Sonoran Gopher Snake (P. c. affinis): Dorsal blotches brown or red-brown, darker towards the tail than toward the head. Range: Most of Arizona except for the far northern part of the state, eastward to western New Mexico and extreme western Texas, southward into Sonora and Chihuahua.

"Great Basin Gopher Snake (P. c. deserticola): Dorsal blotches near the neck black, connected with vertical crossbars creating a weak ladder-like pattern. Range: South-central British Columbia southard through eastern Washington and Oregon, most of Nevada to southeastern California. Range extends eastward to eastern Idaho, Utah, western Colorado, and northern Arizona and New Mexico."

http://www.nearctica.com/herps/snakes/colubrid/Pcatenif.htm

http://www.birdandhike.com/Wildlife/Snake/Pit_mel/_Pit_mel.htm

Skip

I've seen four and a half footers like that with the identical coloration on PCSC's Red Chispa Claim up Benson Canyon [just a short distance over the next hill from Goler Gulch]. It is a Gopher snake.

Hi All

Yep it's a freindly good to have around gopher snake, they can hiss up a storm and wiggle there tail and strick if messed with. The bit can smart and you might be pickin snake teeth out for awhile if,n your stupid enough to get bit buy one. But other than that completely harmless and eat lots of rodents !!

Happy Huntin John B.

I know those rock cliffs! Their called the Narrows, but I'll have to defer to the others on what kind of snake you photographed. I spent nearly five years detecting out in Goler Gulch and had never seen a single snake of any kind. I guess I was lucky. I did run into a Chuckwalla and scorpion once, though!

Ray

Speaking of chuckwallas, my dog Lilah actually ran a fairly long one down a couple of weeks ago and caught it [they are very fast]. She didn't kill it though. Just dropped it after having some fun and it took off to places unknown.

Speaking of chuckwallas, my dog Lilah actually ran a fairly long one down a couple of weeks ago and caught it [they are very fast]. She didn't kill it though. Just dropped it after having some fun and it took off to places unknown.

They're very slow in the winter time! I tried feeding cheese to the one we caught. I guess they aren't too fancy of dairy products. LOL

Ray

When I was a kid out near the Trona Pinnacles we used to catch chuckawallas all the time...We carried potatoes, bacon, carrots and tinfoil with us and if we caught something good we'd skin it and wrap it up, then make a fire with whatever wood we could find...We'd do it in a fairly shallow pit and fill the pit with lava type rocks after it had all burnt down, we'd cover the tinfoil pack (chuckawalla meat,bacon, taters, carrots, etc.,) and cook it for a while...Add a little salt and pepper and yummie! Chuckawalla tastes like chuckawalla cooked with bacon, carrots and taters.... :yuk-yuk: ...But good...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

That's funny Unc. Reminds me of liver and onions night when I was kid and I hated liver. Dad would always ask, "how's the liver", and I would always answer, "great it tastes like onions and ketchup". He always got a little smirk on his face from my answer. I always ate the liver and onions and he always let me have the ketchup, lots of it too.

Looks like a green ATV with a metel detector mounted in front. Areally harm less critter when the ignition is turned off.

Harry

Yeah there harmless as long as the key is off but turn it on and look out--had one throw me over the handlebars and ran my ass over and another that jumped of a 30 ft drop and tried to stomp me stupid---don't trust em!

Yeah there harmless as long as the key is off but turn it on and look out--had one throw me over the handlebars and ran my ass over and another that jumped of a 30 ft drop and tried to stomp me stupid---don't trust em!

blm officer told me some kid driving in the el paso's with out looking where he was going went over a ridge top ang down a shaft. they found him at 700 feet. not sure if it's true but still if you do not know whats ahead go slow.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in Greaterville the other day, I spotted a 6 ft. Gohper about 3ft. from me. It made me feel safe, :thumbsupanim and I didn't expect to see any Rattlesnakes near by.. Doug

I would imagine a six foot gopher would scare the hell out of any snake! That bad boy must have eaten some mighty nutritious turnips to grow tht big!

I saw a ten pound guinea pig one time and I thought that was big!